Sore after squats

Options
2»

Replies

• Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Awesome that's a ton of lifting!

Thanks mate. That is what sheiko is about. It is all very similar intensity at around 70-85% for the most part but becoming stronger by increasing the volume over time, and the reducing it close to a comp to take advantage of new strength in fresh condition.

Is there an available sheiko routine on the internet somewhere?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I just realised this was in the BB group :laugh:

An article here:
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/sheiko_shakes_up_powerlifting

Post 6 has the excel template.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144261601

29,37,32 is the typical order for 12 week prep for a beginner to sheiko. When used to the volume 37,37,32 is good. If you are farkin' strong then try a CMS cycle. I haven't tried these yet, not quite there.
  • stockdogDavidDog
    Options
    after exercise go in cold water. It is easy for me because I live near a old river . Try it . It works.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Squat more often. And if that doesn't work, squat more often.
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Squat more often. And if that doesn't work, squat more often.

This sounds like an excellent plan :)
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    Also, try using an electrolyte supplement in your water and make sure you are drinking lots of water. I learned that while taking Bikram Yoga -- water and electrolytes are very important to your body.

I presently do StrongLifts 5x5 Mon/Wed/Fri and on Tues/Thurs/Sat/Sun I follow a half-marathon training program. A lot of times I get stiff/sore later in the day but it usually goes away with just normal daily motion.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    The more often you do it the less you get it :smile: DOMS is not an indicator of progress, moving more weight or more reps or more total volume is.

I'm glad someone finally said it. DOMS has no correlation to progress.

usually I get DOMS when I do something after a long period away, or if I suddenly increase volume or intensity, rather than do it progressively. Once I'm into a routine, I rarely get DOMS at all.

I've just got back lifting after some weeks off due to an injury. I'm sore this week, but by next week I don't expect to have much DOMS at all.

No correlation to what kind of progress? Strength? Could they mean lactic acid buildup? Because wouldn't that be an indicator of forthcoming synthesis?

Anyway, I like to believe my leg burning is lactic acid in my legs. Maybe it's that belief that gives me my quads.

I do understand both are different. DOMs I get after a hiatus and atrophy. DOMs just became that cool thing to say on a post.

DAMN I got them DOMs BRO!

Hey guys! I'm so bored. Can you tell? I'm hitting a bunch of dead threads! hahahaha
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    The more often you do it the less you get it :smile: DOMS is not an indicator of progress, moving more weight or more reps or more total volume is.

I'm glad someone finally said it. DOMS has no correlation to progress.

usually I get DOMS when I do something after a long period away, or if I suddenly increase volume or intensity, rather than do it progressively. Once I'm into a routine, I rarely get DOMS at all.

I've just got back lifting after some weeks off due to an injury. I'm sore this week, but by next week I don't expect to have much DOMS at all.

No correlation to what kind of progress? Strength? Could they mean lactic acid buildup? Because wouldn't that be an indicator of forthcoming synthesis?

Anyway, I like to believe my leg burning is lactic acid in my legs. Maybe it's that belief that gives me my quads.

I do understand both are different. DOMs I get after a hiatus and atrophy. DOMs just became that cool thing to say on a post.

DAMN I got them DOMs BRO!

Hey guys! I'm so bored. Can you tell? I'm hitting a bunch of dead threads! hahahaha

DOMS isn't really an indicator of hypertrophy either though. Say you haven't done any leg stuff for a while and then you did 1000 bw squats. You are very likely to get some pretty serious doms but unlike to stimulate much hypertrophy because of minimal loading (unless bw squats are hard)

Nice thread digging :tongue:
  • stephenson_650
    stephenson_650 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi folks,
    I'm pretty sore still now, two days after doing squats. I'm wondering if I should always expect to be sore after doing squats for this long. I'm sort of new to the whole weight lifting thing... trying to follow "Burn the fat, feed the muscle" book. I like the book, but I'm REALLY sore... too sore to run and do cardio.

Any help would be awesome!

don't be put off squat twice a week and eventually the soreness will subside gl !
  • havafeed
    Options
    i think you're doing something wrong bra..
  • rock127
    rock127 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    A good workout should result in some soreness specially if it's(muscle part) done once a week.
  • fizzleh
    fizzleh Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I do light cardio the day after leg day, if you don't train the very next day it will make DOMS worse