How Long Did It Take To Find "The Right" Number Of Calories?

Options
twrobbel
twrobbel Posts: 132 Member
Hello all! I am very curious about how long it took to find the right amount of calories you need to eat to lose? Its been a month and I haven't found that balance yet. Interested in knowing how you figured it out. Thanks!

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you. It took me a few months to get 100% honest with my logging, then a couple more to get accurate.

Edited to add that the Sexypants post should be required reading for all MFPers: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • twrobbel
    twrobbel Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I have read that article. I am good at tracking. I have not gotten the point of weighing fruits/vegetables yet, but I do for meats. I am just finding that I am either losing way to fast or not at all. I am working out a lot, and am finding that I am netting below 1200 calories- which I know is not good. But I don't trust the fitness calories burnt- so I have been having them. My Fitbit has all of a sudden increased by a few hundred calories (ie: saying I burned more calories during walking). That doesn't seem accurate- so I need to read up on that. At least I know I am not the only one taking awhile to figure out the perfect number.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I eat back all my Fibit calorie adjustments, and I lost weight. Your Fitbit burn is your TDEE—way more accurate than any online calculator.

MFP has a Fitbit Users group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users
  • suzybee30
    suzybee30 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have been living with Hypothyrodism for over 25 years and have found that it is not the calorie counting that help me lose the weight. It is the combination of weighing my foods, keeping track of what I eat, cutting out white flours & sugars, getting enough sleep, and most importantly exercise. If I just follow a healthy diet but don't exercise, the weight stands still. If I do even 15 minutes of walking or biking on my recumbent bike, then the weight seems to come off. Eventually, you will find the best combo for your body and the weight will gradually come off. The one important thing that I must realize is that my body loses weight slow and steady, so I won't see 5 and 10 pounds coming off as quickly as others. But I keep sticking to my healthy routine and even when the scale stands still, my pants feel looser and I can button up my cardigans.
  • OUCHilly1
    OUCHilly1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Agree with suzybe30. I have been living with it sense 1990 and find that the exercise keeps my metabolism up where it is supposed to be to lose weight. Diet without exercise, no results, no diet no exercise... gain steadily. The more exercise you find time to do the higher your metabolism will stay and the more calories you will burn. You also have to make sure you have the right amount of medication. My levels were off for years and I couldn't keep them right. My doctor finally put me on armor thyroid 120mg and the weight started coming off. I walk at least an hour every day, chart with accuracy, and stay as active as a 60 year old working an 80 hour week can. Lots of protein, avoid fats and sugar and to much salty food. Drink water, stay away from bottled drinks even with artificial sweeteners or carbonated drinks with no sweeteners, they add unnecessary sodium. Hang in there, you will find your nitch.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Everybody's different—other than walking, the only exercise I do is one hour of yoga three times a month. For me, weight loss is all about the logging.

It will take trial & error to find what works for you.