sitting through lecture on nutrition

Options
ea101367
ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
I had to take my 13 year old to a dietician yesterday.
I sat there listening while she talked about good carbs/bad carbs, good fat(from vegetable sources ie: canola) /bad fat( animal) until I had enough. She suggested Dried fruit was a healthy choice, I questioned her on the sugar, she suggested small amounts. When we got to the fat she told me to give my daughter low fat everything because that is healthy. I asked about the added sugars to make it taste better and she looked at me like I was alien. Healthy fat choices did not include butter or coconut oil. These were listed as unhealthy while margarine ( except hard or block) was listed as a good fat choice. It was created as an additive to put fat on turkeys!She also suggested reading nutrition labels not for grams but for percentages keeping fat and sodium at 5% or less. We are also not supposed to eat regular cream cheese or sour cream, whipping or coffee cream or saturated fats!
Then as we are leaving I see a poster in our Public Health waiting area that says when you buy iced coffee be sure to ask to have it made with 2% milk and NOT cream as it will save you from 11g of fat.
Fat does NOT make you fat!! Frustrated.........

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Ugh, that sucks! I always want to throw a book's worth of resources at people that show that fat isn't the problem.

Out of curiosity, why'd you have to take your kid in to see a dietitian?
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I had this with a nurse once she started stating about good carbs and bad carbs, I told her i collapsed after 2 hours of eating a fruit cocktail and low fat yogurt her response 'thats healthy' (when i did the low GI thing it didnt work for me)

Told her Ichf and she asked where i get my energy from.....

gave up and told her 'magic'
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    I had this with a nurse once she started stating about good carbs and bad carbs, I told her i collapsed after 2 hours of eating a fruit cocktail and low fat yogurt her response 'thats healthy' (when i did the low GI thing it didnt work for me)

Told her Ichf and she asked where i get my energy from.....

gave up and told her 'magic'

:noway:

*facepalm*

I....have no words....

It's a seriously f-ed up world we live in that people don't seem to think there's something wrong with the idea of needing to eat every couple of hours or we'll collapse from low blood sugar. (And don't get me started on the whole "glucose is the body's preferred source of fuel" crap...)
  • ea101367
    ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Ugh, that sucks! I always want to throw a book's worth of resources at people that show that fat isn't the problem.

She has been having various health issues for the past 3 months that have led to mental health issues. Rapid weight gain resulted from her condition, which leads to insecurity and low self esteem in a 13 year old girl so her therapist ordered this. When we got out I told her the low fat thing is Bull pucky and we will continue to eat the good for you fat our bodies need.

To make matters worse when all of this (her poor health) started I fell off the keto wagon and have struggled to get back on. I had to go for bloodwork and my fasting sugar was high (stress and poor food choices) so now I get to go o a Healthy eating program as well!! I think I will ask to see the science behind their program.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

She has been having various health issues for the past 3 months that have led to mental health issues. Rapid weight gain resulted from her condition, which leads to insecurity and low self esteem in a 13 year old girl so her therapist ordered this. When we got out I told her the low fat thing is Bull pucky and we will continue to eat the good for you fat our bodies need.

To make matters worse when all of this (her poor health) started I fell off the keto wagon and have struggled to get back on. I had to go for bloodwork and my fasting sugar was high (stress and poor food choices) so now I get to go o a Healthy eating program as well!! I think I will ask to see the science behind their program.

Eek. I hope you find what's going on and are able to help her. :flowerforyou:
  • SnowFlinga
    SnowFlinga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    This just makes me cringe. It's so disappointing to realize that the majority of so-called "health professionals" are still regurgitating this wildly incorrect information.

I often feel very "evangelical" about the keto WOE, but I've found that I can't be too overly zealous about it with most people as they're not prepared to accept such a radical shift in thought. I have to find the "in" to help them relate to why this WOE makes significantly more sense for almost everyone on the planet.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I hope you can find help near you that is keto friendly ... try this site if you are still looking.

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/where-are-low-carb-friendly-doctors-who-wont-judge-me-for-my-diet-choice/22294
  • MzSmythe
    MzSmythe Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Urgh, how frustrating! I'm currently studying a diploma in nutrition, and it's all based on the same old nonsense. I just have to grit my teeth and get on with it, knowing that when I have the qualification I can get out and start teaching people the real truth! Thank god you have the knowledge to support your daughter instead of believing that you have to fill her with sugar and poisonous chemicals! Hope she starts to feel better soon.:flowerforyou:
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    My city is woefully short on doctors that make it known that they're LCHF/Paleo friendly. Among all of the resources I've found, including Paleo Physicians Network and Primal Docs, there is all of one that can act as a primary care provider, the others are chiropractors or ER doctors. =(

MzSmythe, come to central Ohio when you graduate, please?!
  • SnowFlinga
    SnowFlinga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky that I live in a "land" of two fairly recognized LCHF/Keto guru doctors (one even has a book that's quite well know). I switched doctors to one of them a few months ago and it's just so refreshing to work with a doctor who "gets it". I feel like I now have an actual partner in my quest for improved health. I no longer have to continually try to educate my doctor on the keto WOE.
  • ali59oc
    ali59oc Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My PCP is really torn about my WOE. I can tell she really wants to believe but she's so "fat is bad!" I get a little short tempered about it. She begged me to add more protein! I know she took great joy in my triglycerides going up last test. She does think my weight loss is great and has had no problem taking me off of bp meds though. There is a guy on that list that is at Duke University which is very close to me. My doctor is also through Duke (they are pretty big!) and she knows my history. Maybe she'll come over to the Keto-side!!!
  • KetoPrimal
    Options
    I'm not sure what her issues are; however, you may want to have her thyroid tested. My thyroid was under-active at her age causing many issues like hair loss, weight gain, etc, etc.... My Dr didn't originally test my thyroid levels because usually it doesn't affect young people. I guess I was an exception.
  • gmstarr1
    gmstarr1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    About a month after I started my low carb and high fat diet, my mother had an artery blocked and had to go have surgery to put a stint in. When she was about to get discharged, I read her 'after care' instructions. They were pretty much the same instructions they gave you. Low fat everything...cheese, cream cheese, sour cream. Eggs only a couple of times a week with no yolks.

It freaked me out at first. Everything they were advising her against, I was eating a lot of. Almost went off the lchf diet because of it. But I came home and did a little bit of research and decided to keep going. And I'm glad I did. My blood pressure is normal and I'm the lowest weight I've been at in a decade.