BM'S: HOW TO GO!?

Options
kiknitwite
kiknitwite Posts: 36 Member
Hi! I'm fairly new to the Keto Lifestyle, and I must say, I am happy with my loss so far. I'm a little disappointed that I'm not having CRAZY drops like I hear about. It's only been 2 weeks as of Monday. The first week I lost 3.1 pound, then I started shark week and pretty much stalled, then last Saturday I dropped 2 pounds. So in 2 weeks I lost 5.1 pounds. I'm not sure is this is good, average or below (any info would help). I started with a fat fast and that went so well, I started doing lots of research and kept at it. Now that the shark week is over (as of Saturday) I expected a big drop - No such luck yet. I ordered my ketostix and they should arrive today. I really want them so that I can track my ketosis. I use MFP religiously to stay within my macros.

Which brings me to my issues. I weigh in everyday once in the morning and once at night. I know, I know, this isn't good but I like to note my progress. I don't get too attached to the numbers as I know they change often, however I do feel that after 3-4 days I should see a drop, even if it's small. My main issue is I do not POO! I used to be VERY regular, but now its days before I go and I have to take a laxative. Sorry if it's TMI, but I can't be the only one. It's not water - I drink half my body weight in oz EVERYDAY. I feel like if I was going well, everyday, then I would have more success on the scale. For example on Saturday I was 255, today I'm 257.2, but I haven't had a BM since Saturday after taking a laxative. I'm not sure what to do and I really want to see keto through, as I want to get to ONEderland.

Any suggestions and help is really appreciated. Thanks for reading.

My stats:
30 yo/ 5'5/ 257 lbs
DAILY MACROS:1000-1100 cal/ 60% fat/ 30% protein/ 10% carbs

Replies

• kiknitwite
    Options
    P.S. should I up the fat intake???? Let me know any thoughts. THANKS!

59157218.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • VCanadapt
    VCanadapt Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    If you are not getting enough fiber by way of foods you eat try a fiber supplement. They make the "Gummies" Fiber Supplements ( especially if you want to avoid the chalky - gritty flavor of the power)
  • melodymedlin
    melodymedlin Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    :happy: you sound like me. Anyways found upping fat helps some but I'm leaning towards a fiber pill. Feel free to friend me as were not too far from our weights. 28, 249lbs. Good luck
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I use Miralax because my GI doctor said I can take it all the time.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Magnesium will be your friend. IT helps a lot!! Lots of water too. I struggled with this in the begging as well. It gets better. Try to eat your carbs in green veggies like spinach.
  • sparacka
    sparacka Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Constipation is less about how often you go and more about the consistency of your poop. Take a look if you dare:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_stool_scale

I've been following a LCHF diet for about six weeks and while my frequency has greatly diminished (twice a week, maybe), I'm consistently a four on the Bristol scale. Perfect!

The SAD calls for such a high amount of fiber in an effort to move along the bulk of carbs that one is supposed to eat. If you are not clogging up your system with bread & pasta, you need much less fiber. One thing I've noticed is that I eat a much smaller quantity of food since going LCHF, which I think explains (at least in part) the lack of activity down below.
  • new_clear
    new_clear Posts: 21
    Options
    I know that it's a little late for your current condition, but I incorporate avocado in my diet as much as possible. A 150 g avocado has 23 g fat, 13 g carbs, 10 of which is fiber, 0 g sugar.
  • SnowFlinga
    SnowFlinga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Incorporate coconut oil and/or MCT oil to keep things moving along. I eat at least a tablespoon of both each day. No issues for me whatsoever.
  • kiknitwite
    Options
    Thank guys! I just bought some coconut oil, and some sugar free fiber supplements (5g each - i read you need at least 20 per day) and I just ate avocado! I took a laxative last night and I'm back down to my lowest weight and I'm hoping making these changes I can take laxatives less often and get MOVING!

Add me guys!
  • leighn62
    leighn62 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BPUY3W0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This magnesium supplement saved my life when I was having terrible leg cramps at night, but it helps very much with constipation as well. Miracle for a number of things.
  • He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Black coffee.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I'll start this by saying I didn't eat this with the intention of getting things moving. I simply missed oatmeal & saw this post on facebook in one of the keto groups and gave it a try.
    1/4 c flax meal, scoop of chia seeds (scoop came with it probably about a 1T), unsweetened coconut milk & a bit of sweetner, heat it up & its like oatmeal or cream of wheat.
    I ate this at work for breakfast today. Less than 8 hours later I barely made it to the washroom!!! Its a colon cleanse in a bowl!!! total bowl was only 3 net carbs too!!
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Psyllium husk capsules, I got them at Walgreens, they help me keep things moving.
  • oyadancing
    oyadancing Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Oh, the go: In my family, all illness and ailments began with constipation, and being "regular" is a virtue. Foods I eat often (pre-keto too):
    - Coffee, especially now BP coffee with butter and coconut oil, plus unsweetened cocoa powder which has fiber, first thing in the am
    - Salads with dark greens like spinach, 2-3 cups or more (bagged salad? 1/2 the bag)
    - Cooked "southern" greens - sturdy ones like kale, collards, etc.
    - Avocado
    - Fibrous fruit (berries)
    And I'm from Philly too; lordy, I'm glad there's no TastyKakes around. Please feel free to add me as a friend.