What's your paleo template?

Options
Nutmeg76
Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
We (my children and I) are gluten grain free, occasional dairy, selective occasional legumes.
My hubby is mostly auto-immune paleo, or he is "supposed" to be but I think he still goes through the drive through :mad:

When I first started eating this way in 2009 I was a lot more strict and follwed Cordain's ideology, minus the idea of being "low" carb. I still ate fruit and a lot of plantains for starch. But, not dairy no legumes, no grains at all. Once my body was healed I was able to add things back without any problems, like rice and chickpeas. Other things still bother me, like "junky" bread or kidney beans. So, I am at the point that I am able to eat things that perviously caused issues. I think that is a good thing, but it also doesn't give me the "go ahead" to go back to eating SAD! It does allow me to have a sandwich on traditionally prepared sourdough bread on occasion, which I like. Did you know that sourdough has less gluten? I didn't until recently. Nope, it doens't mean it will be a daily thing, but it gives me options which I like.

So, what's your template?

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Primal as the base, so basically Paleo + dairy and more fat/fewer carbs.

I stay away from gluten, though I will admittedly "indulge" once in a while (usually just a roll at a particular restaurant that's known for really good rolls, or a dish that has a sauce that uses flour). I stay away from it, by and large, though, as it's best for the eczema that I have.

I do eat corn on occasion. I live in corn country, so we get a couple ears when it's in season, and the hubby and son still eat cereal, so it's kept around (and I'm lazy some days). Again, I try to keep it to a minimum, because it's carby, and unless it's specifically gluten-free, it can still hit the tolerance limit for my eczema (it's a sort of build-up response).

I still do dairy, but still try to limit it, due to dairy proteins being inordinately insulinogenic. I try to stick with the higher-fat items, like butter, cream, and some cheeses. I can't get completely raw dairy here, either, so that's another factor.

I also eat potatoes, yes even the white ones (*gasp!*), though my overall consumption has gone down significantly in part because they're now out of season (yay, summer veggies!) and in part because they're carby, and seem to be a headache trigger during cluster periods. (The downsides of eating in season...there's not a lot of selection in the winter.) White rice is also an occasional item, usually a half-portion in a Chipotle bowl after a workout (with sour cream, cheese, and extra meat and lettuce).

I'm always playing around and tweaking what I eat, based on how I feel and what's available and whatnot. I generally use the "Paleo flowchart" as a guide when making decisions about what to eat, or to make informed, conscious decisions to eat something that isn't Paleo. I have no desire or intention of going back to SAD eating with any kind of regularity, and even if I do go and get the Celiac test that I've been contemplating, I'm still going to use the principles that I've learned to guide my choices and not eat total crap all the time.
  • drmartz55
    drmartz55 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I try to be as close to 100% Paleo as much as possible, but more like 95% of the time, like to have an occasional diet coke, drink regular coffee that's not organic though- buy as much organic produce, grow what I can, raise my own chickens for eggs only and have our own grass fed beef, pretty much lactose intolerant ,once in a great while may have a bit of lactose free cheese. Haven't had nor do I miss bread,rice,grains or beans which I used to consume daily- and I feel way better than before. Oh but I do miss chocolate candy!
  • carrieann8
    carrieann8 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 28 of my Whole 30, but my plan is to stay 95-99% Paleo for quite a while because I have a lot of weight to lose. I am severely lactose intolerant so no dairy at all. I also don't do any legumes, other grains or any other bread at all. My 5% non Paleo is a wee bit of sugar in ingredients. For instance, I bought this great butternut squash pasta sauce at Target. It's organic and all of the ingredients are Paleo except organic sugar which was WAY at the end of the list. I'm going to have it over some zoodles next week and it will be ALMOST Paleo perfect. I also can't seem to find a substitute for Worcestershire sauce yet so that might be on the menu too.
  • nickymaire
    nickymaire Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm primal. I have raw/organic dairy and I eat potatoes. 90% of what I eat is organic.

My biggest thing is eating organic and staying gluten free/mostly grain free and legume free...rice flour is the only grain I have in the form of gluten free bread etc that I occasionally let creep in (only had real rice twice in the last two years). Gluten brings back my chronic neck and back pain...and legumes either bung me up or rip my guts up.

I have issues with nightshades. Weirdly I can handle potatoes a few times a week. But tomatoes I can only have one serving a week with out consequences, chilis whole or spices like paprika make me feel terrible.

Sugar is my biggest slip up and the one that creeps in the most. Carb wise I use to care about how many I had but it led to binging. So now I just eat healthy carbs (fruit, root veggies, honey etc) and try not to stress the amount.

I've been pretty slack the last few months but there's nothing like a good health scare to get you back on track...It gave me the boot in the *kitten* that I needed to re-evaluate and prioritize diet and exercise. As of Monday I decided to stop counting calories and carbs and try initiative eating. So far I've lost 1.4kgs.

I also decided that I need to incorporate more vitamins/ plant based foods and healthy fats/omega 3. I started having smoothies as a way to force in more plant based food and healthy fats and I'm taking liquid cod liver oil and a multi vitamin. I'm a big believer in getting all your nutrients from food you eat (not drink) so I don't normally have smoothies or vitamins but I just can't eat that much food.
  • DianaBinOR
    Options
    New to the group ~ Hi everyone!

I've always considered myself 'grain free'. Which pretty much falls under the primal/paleo label somewhere. I just recently started back up again after a 2 month hiatus.

This time around I think I'm going to avoid more dairy, as I'm not sure it agrees with me. The dairy I do will be raw and/or fermented (yogurt/kefir). We'll see if I can stay away from the cheese! :D

I used to occasionally have rice and/or rice flour bread. My goal is to stay away from that as much as possible as well. I do occasional legumes, but will be watching for sensitivities.

I don't limit my meat (wild salmon, grass-fed beef & organic chicken), veggies, fruit or nuts. I will have honey or maple syrup but not regularly. I'm possibly insulin resistant / pre-diabetic, so I need to watch my sugar intake.