Powerlifting build muscle?

Options
FormerMarine1
FormerMarine1 Posts: 1,128 Member
I have always wanted to bench press 400 lbs and deadlift 500 lbs. If I were to do power reps(3-5) instead of hypertrophy reps(8-10), would it hurt or help my muscle gains? Your opinions matter

Replies

• MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely build muscle with 3 rep sets, and with a good training program, I would expect the hypertrophy to be similar to what can be accomplished with 10 rep sets. A major advantage of 3 rep sets is you get more "first reps" since you'll also be doing more sets. It's not possible to bench 400 and deadlift 500 without slabs and slabs of muscle.
  • charlieibeling
    charlieibeling Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    you will probably get some good gains for a while. when you switch up your routine like that you generally do. After a while though you will probably stall out a bit.
    i highly recommend PHAT(power/hypertrophy training). I do it quite a bit and you get the best of both worlds.
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    ask-the-super-strong-guy-low-carbs-big-lifts-2.jpg

That's Mark Bell. I'd say powerlifting builds some decent muscle :P
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    All rep ranges build mucsle.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I have always wanted to bench press 400 lbs and deadlift 500 lbs. If I were to do power reps(3-5) instead of hypertrophy reps(8-10), would it hurt or help my muscle gains? Your opinions matter

More reps would give you more time under tension. Unless you do those 3 reps very slow. But IMHO, no one should really stay at the 3-5 rep range that long as I (at least) tend to hit a plateau. So you end up cycling from high reps down to a 2-3 rep range, find your max and start over. And to give your body a break from going heavy all the time

BTW. Your max bench and dead numbers aren't necessarily 100% related to muscle. A lot of it is technique and CNS improvements.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    People seem to get the idea that the difference is extreme, and that low reps (1-5) means 90% strength and 10% size and higher reps (8-12) means the opposite. In reality the difference is not so pronounced. It's more like 60%/40%* and vice versa.

*Not actual figures, but just a guideline
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Do combination training; power-building.

The question is this: Do you want to look in the mirror and like what you see? Or do you just want to push massive weight around? Do you want people to be like, "Damn he strong AF AND he fine as hell too!" Or just, "Wow. He strong." :glasses:

Do ALL the rep ranges. They are ALL beneficial. Do pyramid or reverse pyramid training and hit them all.

I'm fckn' bored. So had to add my 2 CENT. Mucho respect to the powerlifters here.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

The OP never stated that he was limiting himself to a 1 rep lift. 3-5 reps is what he was going down to. But interesting question. It's not like people go do the gym, load the bar with their max, lift it once and then leave. Even if he ends up at 1 rep, doesn't all the warm up sets count? I don't think he's warming up by doing 1, 1, 1, 1 and then the max lift at 1?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    one rep RANGE
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    What is a 1 rep range? I range of reps inbetween 1 and 1? Again, I didn't see where the OP mentions 1 rep range/set/ or etc.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    What is a 1 rep range? I range of reps inbetween 1 and 1? Again, I didn't see where the OP mentions 1 rep range/set/ or etc.

I think you misunderstood, we're not talking about only doing 1 rep, but only using 1 range of reps all the time. Example - Only ever doing sets of 8-10 would be only ever use rep range. Instead it is being advocated to mix things up, maybe sometimes 1-3, sometimes 4-6, sometimes 12-15 etc...