Hide the cake?

Options
SideSteel
SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
Speaking first from personal experience, I've noticed the following things are absolutely true for me:

- I'm more likely to eat food that is within view or easily accessible. For example if there is half a pop tart sitting on the counter out in the open I am far more likely to eat it. I'm less likely to eat it if it's in the wrapper and the wrapper is in the box on the counter. I'm even less likely to eat it if the box is in the cupboard and the cupboard door is closed. I'm further less likely to eat it if it's in a storage cupboard that I don't frequently view.

- I'm more likely to exert less willpower over what I will generously label as "good choices" when I am sleep deprived. I'm even less likely to make good choices when I am sleep deprived and in a state of prolonged energy deficit. I'm even less likely to do this when I'm at greater levels of leanness (near the end of a diet).

I'm quickly becoming a believer in making smart choices with regards to environmental structure in order to better adhere to your diet. And there's probably some logic in this being applicable to areas outside of diet itself.

I'm sharing this post because I believe that there are techniques we can be using for both diet and lifestyle that help us form better habits, and because it's easy to ignore some of these things when we have a caloric monitor to basically impose limits on us, which can indirectly cause some people to then not work on the behavioral aspects of things that can make the process easier.

A good quote from the article:

It’s easy to apply this discovery to everyday life: simply place healthier foods in more visible spots in your refrigerator, pantry, and around the kitchen. Meanwhile, you can tuck away cookies, treats, and other unhealthy choices down on the lower shelves. This is one way to use choice architecture to make it more likely that you’ll grab healthy food, even when your willpower is fading.

http://jamesclear.com/choice-architecture?utm_content=buffer1e202&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Replies

• _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    This post needs more cake.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    This is true for me, especially if I'm really hungry and rushing to get out the door.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Its kind of a sad commentary that we are basically lazy people who are more inclined to eat what is readily in view and available than go to the trouble of "working" to get what we really want (by leaning over to get it from a lower cabinet, or physically opening a box and a package).

I used to have my son hide all the "goodies" when I got home from the store, with rules on when and how much begging was allowed before he would bring me one. I bet I burned a lot of calories searching the house for those things when he was not home :)

Sadly, the concept works though - we really are fairly lazy creatures, so putting the "good" stuff we *want* to *want* to eat out in the open makes us more likely to eat it because it is simply easier. Same thing with precooking a batch of food - faced with the task of actually having to cook food that is good vs popping a tv dinner in the microwave, most nights is a no brainer (tv dinner wins hands down). But making the real food basically as easy as the tv dinner (by precooking and having ready) makes me much more likely to heat it up if it is just as easy.

This goes double when tired or hungry or cranky. Immediate gratification will win out every time then, so have the good stuff just as easy to get to and eat!
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Its kind of a sad commentary that we are basically lazy people who are more inclined to eat what is readily in view and available than go to the trouble of "working" to get what we really want (by leaning over to get it from a lower cabinet, or physically opening a box and a package).

I used to have my son hide all the "goodies" when I got home from the store, with rules on when and how much begging was allowed before he would bring me one. I bet I burned a lot of calories searching the house for those things when he was not home :)

Sadly, the concept works though - we really are fairly lazy creatures, so putting the "good" stuff we *want* to *want* to eat out in the open makes us more likely to eat it because it is simply easier. Same thing with precooking a batch of food - faced with the task of actually having to cook food that is good vs popping a tv dinner in the microwave, most nights is a no brainer (tv dinner wins hands down). But making the real food basically as easy as the tv dinner (by precooking and having ready) makes me much more likely to heat it up if it is just as easy.

This goes double when tired or hungry or cranky. Immediate gratification will win out every time then, so have the good stuff just as easy to get to and eat!

I don't think it's exclusively about laziness.

I can think of examples from my own personal experience where I wouldn't choose to eat the pop-tart or the cookie (for example) because I'm not currently thinking about, or even desiring the cookie or the pop-tart. But if I see one, it may remind me of it, and now I'm thinking about it and concluding that I want one.

Additionally, I may not want popcorn but if I walk into a movie theater and the smell of the popcorn hits me it will certainly trigger a desire (or influence one to some degree) and thus I may purchase popcorn.

I really don't think this is about laziness entirely. Although for some people, or to some extent, it also could be a factor.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options

I don't think it's exclusively about laziness.

I can think of examples from my own personal experience where I wouldn't choose to eat the pop-tart or the cookie (for example) because I'm not currently thinking about, or even desiring the cookie or the pop-tart. But if I see one, it may remind me of it, and now I'm thinking about it and concluding that I want one.

Additionally, I may not want popcorn but if I walk into a movie theater and the smell of the popcorn hits me it will certainly trigger a desire (or influence one to some degree) and thus I may purchase popcorn.

I really don't think this is about laziness entirely. Although for some people, or to some extent, it also could be a factor.

Good point! Hadnt thought of it that way but you are right!
  • krisbox2014
    krisbox2014 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Home I'm ok. The children's snacks and treats are out all the time and I don't have a problem with those. Goes the same for my husband's treats as well. My downfall is eating out, I want to eat what I want to eat without worrying too much about the calorie content. I will choose "healthier" options but it's not likely to be the "healthiest" option. Luckily, we go out maybe 1-2 times a week, so its not a huge downfall for me.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Sleep deprivation and extreme ravenous hunger will make me reach for something fast and chewy (think cookies!) rather than wait for a sensible meal to finish cooking. But then I can rationalize "dessert first" any day of the week.

I do keep my cookies in the garage freezer. That helps. And I'll go the matinee movie AFTER lunch so popcorn is not as tempting.
  • Artionis
    Artionis Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is not all about laziness or choosing the path of least resistance. We (human beings) are not so dissimilar from Pavlov's dog who was conditioned to salivate at the sound of a bell. I have a visceral response to the sight of a jar of Jif extra crunchy. If the jar is on the counter, the odds me putting about 25 g on a spoon increases exponentially. Salivate? Maybe a bit. The good news is that I (now) have the self control to put the brakes on at that one spoonful. However, if the jar is inside the pantry I'll go for weeks without even thinking about peanut butter.

The simple way to avoid conditioned food responses is to eliminate/minimize the situations that trigger the response. In the movie popcorn example there are at least two positive outcomes: 1) having foreknowledge of the trigger, plan ahead to be smarter than the damn dog and pass on the popcorn; or 2) accept the popcorn as your treat, log it, shrug and enjoy the movie. Any you are still smarter than the damn dog.
  • cccoursey
    cccoursey Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have found myself on the opposite end of the spectrum at times. If I do not see food I do not think to eat. I get to working on one thing or another and just forget. As it is eating just kind of happens around certain events. However those events, getting home from work, running errands, yard work/house projects, workouts, sleepy time. They all vary in duration and are not set. I like having things readily available if I am going to eat. So I personally know I need to prep meals or have what I need available with little prep time. And many times I even forget to do that. Along with this I refrain from buying things I know I have no control over and for me that is fresh bread and heavy cream. I do believe I would try to live off of bread, half & half, and honey.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is not all about laziness or choosing the path of least resistance. We (human beings) are not so dissimilar from Pavlov's dog who was conditioned to salivate at the sound of a bell. I have a visceral response to the sight of a jar of Jif extra crunchy. If the jar is on the counter, the odds me putting about 25 g on a spoon increases exponentially. Salivate? Maybe a bit. The good news is that I (now) have the self control to put the brakes on at that one spoonful. However, if the jar is inside the pantry I'll go for weeks without even thinking about peanut butter.

The simple way to avoid conditioned food responses is to eliminate/minimize the situations that trigger the response. In the movie popcorn example there are at least two positive outcomes: 1) having foreknowledge of the trigger, plan ahead to be smarter than the damn dog and pass on the popcorn; or 2) accept the popcorn as your treat, log it, shrug and enjoy the movie. Any you are still smarter than the damn dog.

The fact that you KNOW that you are putting about 25g of PB on your spoon(and prob calculating the cals as well) is such a huge NSV!:drinker: The dog would probably just stick his whole face in the jar.:wink:
  • Artionis
    Artionis Posts: 105 Member
    Options

The fact that you KNOW that you are putting about 25g of PB on your spoon(and prob calculating the cals as well) is such a huge NSV!:drinker: The dog would probably just stick his whole face in the jar.:wink:

Right on. This reminded me of a short youtube video called Cooper Loves Ice Cream. It's better with the sound off, imo. And it relates to handling food cravings. We can do better than the dogs! :drinker:
  • kazzsj0urney
    Options
    This is exactly me...I have to put everything away and I even restrict what I bring in the house (single serve packages and only one of them at a time - i live next door to a grocery store so I purchasing one item at a time is easy for me)...but even if I am not hungry if I see something I enjoy on the counter it will often play on my mind till I cave and eat it.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    What works best for me is to go shopping after a satisfying meal. I stay focused on my list and do not deviate. If I don't buy treats, I don't have them at home. If I have them at home then the problems start :)
  • Soybeaner
    Soybeaner Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Long time lurker here :)

Yes to this post! Environmental structure can influence food choices. I would expand on environment to include environmental noise/commotion as well.

Sleep deprivation for me is the number one factor on making decent food choices. If I got more than 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep the night before and my girls are calm I make excellent choices.

Things that continue to dumb down my thought processes are lack of sleep (can you say 4 interruptions a night? Night over night over night? It is a form of torture for a reason) a crying/screaming 11 week old, and a 3 year old trying to jump off the back of the couch while hollering she wants to watch Dora and is hungry enough to eat the dog. Combine them all together happens probably 2 or more nights a week at our house.

However, if both girls are calm after we get home from work or at least not raising ruckus I stick to our meal plan. On a bad night? We eat hot dogs and Mac and cheese. On a good night we get home, I spend 15 minutes cooking while the small people play, and we eat a supper with protein and vegetables.

So a huge YES to acknowledging sleep deprivation and environment as influences on eating choices and habits.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Great post!
    And I agree it's not just about laziness, though that can be a factor as well.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Check out the book Mindless Eating by Brian Wansink.

http://mindlesseating.org/index.php

The guy is a food researcher and has a lot of insight into the little things that make us overeat, but which can also be used to make us eat at a slight deficit without even noticing (like hiding the cake). Really interesting read.
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

The guy is a food researcher and has a lot of insight into the little things that make us overeat, but which can also be used to make us eat at a slight deficit without even noticing (like hiding the cake). Really interesting read.

I came down here to post this exact same thing!! Great book with a great author- I found it a fascinating read.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I can't have the cookies in the house period. And that's fine. If I really, really, really want a cookie, I have to travel to get it. I rarely eat the cookie.

I've never been overweight and that 's probably why, lol.
  • SideSteel
    Options

I actually looked for this a few weeks ago on google but never pursued it, thanks for the reminder. This book comes highly recommended from a few other folks that I follow on facebook. I'll definitely check it out.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Long time lurker here :)

Yes to this post! Environmental structure can influence food choices. I would expand on environment to include environmental noise/commotion as well.

Sleep deprivation for me is the number one factor on making decent food choices. If I got more than 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep the night before and my girls are calm I make excellent choices.

Things that continue to dumb down my thought processes are lack of sleep (can you say 4 interruptions a night? Night over night over night? It is a form of torture for a reason) a crying/screaming 11 week old, and a 3 year old trying to jump off the back of the couch while hollering she wants to watch Dora and is hungry enough to eat the dog. Combine them all together happens probably 2 or more nights a week at our house.

However, if both girls are calm after we get home from work or at least not raising ruckus I stick to our meal plan. On a bad night? We eat hot dogs and Mac and cheese. On a good night we get home, I spend 15 minutes cooking while the small people play, and we eat a supper with protein and vegetables.

So a huge YES to acknowledging sleep deprivation and environment as influences on eating choices and habits.

Yup. I'm there with sleep deprivation. If I'm well-rested, I've discovered I have more self control than I ever believed I was capable of. It takes super-human levels of commitment to talk myself out of poor choices when I'm knackered. And I never drink enough water either.

Having stuff out/accessible doesn't seem to bother me, though. We have loads of cookies scattered in the kitchen, which is right next to my office. It doesn't even occur to me to have one. And it's not since I've lost the lard either - I've always been that way.