Armour Thyroid

Options
Bearika628
Bearika628 Posts: 10 Member
I was recently diagnosed with mild hypothyroidism and started the lowest dose of Armour (1/2 grain) four weeks ago.
The plan is to retest my blood levels eight weeks from when I started. I feel like I've seen a tiny improvement but feel like I should ask the doctor about raising my dosage. How long does it usually take to know if the dosage is effective?

Thanks!

Replies

• Janette3x4
    Janette3x4 Posts: 135
    Options
    I have heard many times that it can take 4-6 weeks for there to be a change in lab results after starting meds. Also, to get your blood drawn in the afternoon.for best results. I think (my opinion) you may not notice much of a difference in how you feel for that long as well. I was very hypo after being hyper for years, and I was getting very sick being hypo. I don't know if it's in my head or not, and who cares, but I began feeling better almost immediately on synthroid.
    Good luck! I hope things go easy for you.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I take Synthroid & Cytomel rather than Armour (I don't eat pork & beef). My doctor increases my meds every three months, and it's taken 2 years to find the appropriate dosages.
  • epiphany29
    epiphany29 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Wait until you get your lab results. Then looking at the combination of those and your clinical signs let your dose be adjusted. You are on a very low dose and may likely need more but please be patient and let things stabilize. Thyroid hormone replacement doesn't reach steady state for about 4-6 weeks, which means if you raise the dose too soon you can overshoot.

Good luck. I loved my transition to Armour from synthroid. It improved my clinical signs within a few weeks.

Pip
  • walk757
    walk757 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I was given Synthroid originally. Thankfully I found an MD who gave me Armour. We did over shoot once but have settled in with 60 mg in the morning and 15 mg at night. Wait at least one hour before breakfast or coffee after taking your meds. Wait 4 hours to take any vitamins.I have my blood tested in the morning. I take my meds after. It will take you a while to find the right dosage. Good luck!
  • marama557
    marama557 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Ladies. I am hoping to start Armour next week. I am on a mix of t4 and t3 at the moment (100mcg and 5mcg) after having thyroid removed last year. Have put on 40lbs **sad face**. I really have high hopes going on the new med. Currently have a TSH of 1.5. Am getting close to hyper I think so will see if switching makes a difference.

Bearika, sometimes I think you know in yourself if the dose isn't right however I usually get bloods every 6 weeks.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I am hoping to start Armour next week. I am on a mix of t4 and t3 at the moment (100mcg and 5mcg) after having thyroid removed last year. Have put on 40lbs **sad face**.
    My meds reduce the fatigue, so I can be more active. But they have no direct effect on my weight. I still kept gaining until I learned to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly.

The advice in the Sexypants post worked for me: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • marama557
    marama557 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hey Editorgrrl. You may be right. I didn't go on Armour. I went off synthetic T3 and am only on T4. On Wednesday my doctor put me on a 1300 low carb eating plan with the drug Duromine. This is try and halt my stunning weight gain and to make a plan going foward (Dietician, elimination diet...).

I notice you said it took you 2 years to get your dose right. I was hoping for 1, but it's definately going to be 2.

I originally resisted going on Duromine but long story short 2nd day and I can tell you that this pill gives me an incrediable amount of energy.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I went off synthetic T3 and am only on T4. On Wednesday my doctor put me on a 1300 low carb eating plan with the drug Duromine. This is try and halt my stunning weight gain and to make a plan going foward (Dietician, elimination diet...).
    The "secret" to weight loss is to log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Get a digital food scale, and weigh everything you eat—even packaged food. Logging is simple, but it ain't easy.

Read the Sexypants post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants