Welcome and General Daily Gabbery

Options
KarenZen
KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
Here's a space to introduce yourself etc.

Replies

• KarenZen
    Options
    Well, it's almost midnight on Saturday, east coast time, so I'm guessing we're just seven in for the challenge. We should probably establish rules for anyone who wants to join late. Maybe this.... if you miss the first week, do the second and just double your point value for that week? Or later, just jump in and earn what you can for mini challenges without competing for the $50.

I invited a couple of other newbies but am an electronic clutz, so I may not have invited them, LOL.

In case anyone new shows up, I'm Karen and I am responsible for the Maine squirrel and raccoon obesity epidemic because I buy junk food and then toss it out my car windows to keep from eating it.

K.
  • pittgal08
    pittgal08 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi yall, my name is Sarah, and I am so very happy to be with you all on this challenge! My highest weight was 504 lbs, and I am currently at 469 lbs. Like many of you I have a long history of failed dieting, and I'm determined to break that cycle. I remember dieting when I was 10 years old, and when I graduated high school I weighed 360 lbs. So, it's been many, many years of kinda living. I don't have any idea what it is like to not be super morbidly obese. For as long as I can remember it has been an issue for me.
    I am working toward gastric bypass, but I have to get down to 430 for the surgeon to do it. I am determined not to diet, but rather to learn how to live a healthy, nutritious life.
    Again, I am so thankful to have found you all. I am excited to both be supportive, and find support. Blessings to you all today! ;)
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Welcome, Sarah! I'm so glad you got my invite! You and I have similar weight profiles--my highest was 496, currently 483. I was down to 463 in May but after a round of steroids, gained 20 back. I'm also working toward bariatric surgery--sleeve gastrectomy. Only one more hoop to jump through (cardiac consult). I also have to get down to 460 +/-. Originally I was told 400, but they seem OK with a BMI under 69. Hopefully I'll have a September surgery date!

I've also dieted my entire life, and at 50 am finally figuring out what works for me--therapy!!!! LOL! Seriously, though, addressing the food addiction/eating disorder aspects of my weight has been mind blowing.

Looking forward to getting to know you!
    Karen
  • catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone...I am Nancy, and have been struggling on weight loss for many, many years! I finally work up one day and decided to take my mom's advise (she was a dietitian) and stop all those foolish crash diets....must have tried every one of them by now! The worst one was the one where you had to drink a protein drink and it was the most foulish concoction I ever drank...about 30 years ago!! I can still taste it in my mouth! Whew!! Anyway, I am now doing what mom said....watch your calories and get some exercise in. Seems to be working and I am not 'starving' myself either.

Happy to be here and hope I can help you all in your journey too!!

Nancy
  • mikesgirl4evr
    mikesgirl4evr Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Guess I'll get in on the introductions. My name is Dee. I'm 49 and have been on a "diet" since I was about 12 when my mom told me I needed to lose weight. So began my poor body image compounded by the fact that I was abused by my uncle. I have been on every diet under the sun. As part of the application process for my gastric bypass (back in 2006) I had to list all the diets I had been on. At the age of 41, I had "dieted" a total of 137 diets in the approximate 30 years!!! At my highest weight I was well over 500 pounds and being told that I wouldn't see my son's 10th birthday, he was 8 at the time, if I didn't change something. Two years after surgery, I was down to 250 and feeling great. But, since I had never dealt with the abuse, since men starting paying attention to me I found myself back in the clutches of my old friend.....food. I managed to get all the way back up to 370 before I put a stop to it. Losing the weight is much harder this time but if I pay attention to it, my pouch (new stomach) still works. I've also learned that life isn't about "diets" it's about living with a diet of foods that fuel your body and that you have to move on a consistent basis. Right now I'm working very hard on focusing on the living a healthier life and losing weight as a consequence instead of focusing solely on the numbers.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the new faces! I am so excited to see new people decide to join us on our journey. I think we have some great conversations and are definitely here to support one another when needed. So many of us have similar historys of the whys and hows we got here and the struggles of living in a body that doesnt want to work with you. That is why joining and coming back to a group like this is so pivotal to your journey towards a new and improved way of life. Where else are you going to find so many wonderful people who know exactly what it is like to struggle with what we struggle with?

My advice is dont be shy! Jump in! Tell us what is on your mind, but also tell us what you plan to do to fix it. We all have issues. Obviously, life is not easy. However we are about moving towards overcoming our obstacles and working thru those issues. Something is always going to come up and try to knock us down, this is our chance to finally take control and stop using food to cope. We have each other and hopefully some other support in place to find other outlets. Or at least that is what we are working towards. One day at a time.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Sarah and Nancy just posted on another thread about Nancy's job, and I would love to know more about what you all do. (Not for stalking purposes... I have enough hobbies without adding stalking). I'm a "retired" teacher. For the last 24 years I taught English (creative writing, research, literature) at a variety of colleges, including the University of Alaska and The American University in Bulgaria. Two years ago I quit my job as director of writing (AWESOME job teaching, training faculty in writing across the disciplines, running a tutor program, and many other responsibilities). I'd been fighting unremitting Adult Still's Disease for eight years at that point, had gained 200 pounds and couldn't get off high dose steroids, and had to keep taking sick leave.

Now I collect disability and don't work other than volunteer stuff. I still am close with many of my former students and sometimes hold writing workshops at my home. I MISS the job SO much!!! But I don't miss constantly being sick and having to work in excruciating pain. Now if I have a bad Still's Flare, I can just stay in bed. One of my hopes is that after bariatric surgery and my weight loss, I can at least go back to teaching part time.

For now, my" profession" is writing. I really stopped writing seriously (meaning every day) many years ago and have yet to reclaim that work. Because disability pay is impossible to live on, I'm looking at ways to supplement our income with some writing, hence the Bigfoot erotica. I have to tell you, I'm 40 pages in, and I think it's disturbingly good!!! It's also quite explicit, so I won't post any samples here, LOL, but if anyone is interested, I can probably post a sample of something else. Pat, maybe you can design my cover art... can you make a sexy Bigfoot?

So what do you all do?

K.
  • ronercat
    ronercat Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Hello all.

My name is Zac and I have only been on MFP for a week or so, but it seems to be going quite well. The support that I have found here has been incredible. A little about me I guess. I recently finished my degrees in Physics and Economics and I will be starting my MBA in the fall. I love to read, watch movies (especially terrible ones) and play tennis. When I started my weight loss journey I was a solid 441 pounds. As of right now I am at 406 and only a few pounds away from finally having a BMI under 50. I have a ways to go, but I am glad that I have made the start.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Hi Zac!
    We're all doing a 50-50 challenge that started yesterday. You can read about it in all the other 50-50 threads, but the summary is that each day for 50 days you try to earn points--1point for staying in calorie range, 1 point for exercise, 1 point for water. At the end of 50 days, add one point for each pound lost during the Challenge. Winner gets a $50 Target gift card.

All of us also belong to Julie's For the Morbidly Obese group, but we wanted to create a smaller challenge group for the focused and motivated, so that's what this is. Feel free to invite in others who you think would be a good fit. Just let them know I plan to kick *kitten* in the challenges , LOL!

Karen
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Hello! For thosw that dont know, I am Heather. I currently work for the great state of Texas, protecting the unprotected, thats our motto. I work for the Dept of Family & Protective Services but I work in IT Managment. I have been in IT for about 20 years now although I have a BA in Criminal Justice and Forensics. I just kind of landed an IT job as I was working my way through college and never left the field except for my short stent as a Probation Officer during my Internship in a domestic violence unit.

My weight loss story is long and always evolving. Up down up down. Im on a downwards slide now and dont plan on going back up again...ever.
  • mikesgirl4evr
    mikesgirl4evr Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I hold a B.S.E. in Early Childhood Special Education which basically means I work with children who are between the ages of birth to 5 who are developmentally disabled. Or, at least I did. Shortly after Cody was born, I ended up needing to go on disability. I'm beginning to look into the possibility of doing some volunteer work at a local transitional hospital for kids with disabilities but haven't begun yet.
  • pittgal08
    Options
    Wow what a great idea Karen! I loved reading all of yalls posts! It's so fascinating to read range of interests in just a small group like ours. So cool. Anyway, I am also currently on disability. About 4 years ago I was at the park and decided I would slide down a slide. I was over 400 lbs at the time mind you. Well, I dislocated my right knee, and everything went downhill from there. So, while I'm down I didn't want to waste the time so I have been going to school online at American Public University. I am working towards my history degree. My passion is teaching about the Holocaust. My dream is to someday work at the US Holocaust Museum.
    I'm excited to read about the rest of yall's careers! Blessings! ;)
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Wow what a great idea Karen! I loved reading all of yalls posts! It's so fascinating to read range of interests in just a small group like ours. So cool. Anyway, I am also currently on disability. About 4 years ago I was at the park and decided I would slide down a slide. I was over 400 lbs at the time mind you. Well, I dislocated my right knee, and everything went downhill from there. So, while I'm down I didn't want to waste the time so I have been going to school online at American Public University. I am working towards my history degree. My passion is teaching about the Holocaust. My dream is to someday work at the US Holocaust Museum.
    I'm excited to read about the rest of yall's careers! Blessings! ;)

Sarah, it's great that you are resolving your obesity problem now! You are way too young to spend your life immobilized by fat!!! I feel for you--Between the Still's and my weight, most of the time I use crutches to get around now, and I hate them (although I'm pretty fast on them!) And can't wait to be rid of them!!!

I Have a cardiac consult in a few weeks to check something that popped up on my nuclear heart test (our bariatric program is incredibly thorough--in the last 5 months I've had psych work, nutrition counseling, exercise physiologist consult, endoscopy, colonoscopy, heart tests, lung function test, mammogram, pap smear, full physical, a ton of blood tests, a poop test!, and Other stuff). My remaining hoops are to lose the 20 pounds I gained back, get cleared by cardiology, and do a follow-up with my pulmonologist for sleep apnea. Maybe surgery in September? I hope so!!! After 40 years of yoyo dieting, I'm ready for drastic help!!!

When is your surgery and what are you getting? I'm getting a sleeve gastrectomy.

K.
  • pittgal08
    Options
    That's awesome! I'm sure that you will be able to get everything done for September, and I'm so very glad that you started this group to help you do that cause it's definitely helping me. Thank you so much for asking. ;) I'm going to have gastric bypass. It's kind of a long story, but I several years ago when I was living in Illinois I had what I now call my faux surgery. In 2007 I had done everything I needed for my insurance, taken the time off work, did the two week liquid diet, checked into the hospital for surgery, and even went under anesthesia and have two little scars from being cut. However, I woke up a bit later to the surgeon telling me that he couldn't do the surgery because he didn't have the "right tools." Apparently, even though he had seen me in office several times, he didn't realize that he needed the longer trocars to do my surgery. So, that was devastating, and I've been trying to fight to get back on that table every since. So, my insurance will pay without all the hoops because of my weight, but my surgeon here in Pennsylvania wants me to get to 430 before he'll do it. So, I've been working on that for quite a while now. I lose 10-20 lbs then I fall and gain it back. That's why I decided I'm done with "diets," and I'm going to do this differently. I'm hoping to have surgery before the year is out. I have every faith that I will be able to do that especially with this challenge. I'm so excited to be doing this with you all! Blessings! ;)
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Thanks to Karen for the invite. I started at 331 in March and have managed to lost about 18 lbs so far. My first goal is to get under 300 so 299 and hope to reach that by my birthday in November. :)

My name is Melissa. I'm a single mom to a pre-teen girl. I want to model and teach her better eating habits so she doesn't know all the weight struggles I have. Plus I want to get my health back and avoid these prescription pills. I have a blood pressure pill been of and on them(more on) since I was pregnant with my daughter when my BP spiked. My NP had put me on Metformin because my A1C was increased some and then in March when I weighed in at her office at 331 she had me increase my Metformin to twice a day(500mg each time) because blood work showed my A1C didn't go down in 3-4 months of taking it and actually went up a bit. Not sure if the increased dose helps more or my actual work and effort with tracking food and working at getting more active again. But its coming off slowly which is great.
  • catladyksa
    Options
    Welcome Melissa. We are a friendly lot!!! Looks like you are on the road to success with your weight loss!! Congrats!!!
  • sharimedina
    Options
    Hello Ladies! Nice to meet you. Thanks to Karen for the invite. I will try to give a quick version of me and my journey. I am 42, married for 11 years to a great guy...and we have been blessed (with much effort) with two beautiful children that are 4 and 6. My highest weight was somewhere over 400 pounds. I could not get pregnant after we got married and found out I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome with insulin resistance. I am also type two diabetic (since I was 30). This just means that my body has too many male hormones, and it doesn't regulate my blood sugars correctly. It seriously takes me so much effort to lose a pound because I gain 1 to lose 2. Very frustrating. I had Gastric Bypass years ago to increase my chances at fertility. I weighed 360 at surgery (jumping through all the hoops was probably an 18 month process.) I had the proximal surgery which bypasses less intestines because my best friend had the distal surgery bypassing the most intestines and has major issues now. I mainly did it to put my diabetes in remission and my pcos at bay so that I could be healthy enough to have kids, without the complications of dumping syndrome and malabsorbtion issues. If you guys following this path have questions, feel free to ask. Went from 360 to 267, lowest post op weight. Started fertility drugs and was 293 when I got pregnant with my first. After both kids and a few yo yo attempts to get back down, my weight stabilized at 330. I have been doing MFP for about 7 weeks and have lost about 17 pounds. The straw that broke the camels back was a super high A1C, like 9.6. It completely freaked me out. Also, my daughter who is a tall 6, but 85 pounds found out she had high triglycerides. OMG. So, I decided this is it. I have an addiction to food. I started stealing money from my dad's change jar to buy a second breakfast at school when I was in the first grade. :( I was also abused and ate to not deal with stuff. When I was growing up I swam competitively and it was pretty easy to cover up boxes of twinkies or two meals at the drive through. My senior year I hurt my knee pretty bad and had to stop swimming and the weight just piled on. I know from experience how much I fought the hoops I had to jump through for WLS, but man if you don't get your head in check, you will not succeed. If you don't make exercise a priority now, you will not after surgery. It is a tool, and yeah, mine still works to some extent...but I knew I could eat 2 cookies every half an hour without getting sick...and I did just that. This time I am in it for the health and the addiction. I am currently on 2 meds for my diabetes and have consulted a dietitian for a plan because of all of the conflicting stories about what my condition should be eating. I am currently on 1500 calories, (lower gluten, but not giving them up) and have committed to some sort of exercise 30 minutes a day 5 days a week. I sometimes eat a few over the 1500 if I have exercised that day. I went cold turkey from sweets for 6 weeks to help the addiction and I am doing okay with it now. I occasionally have a sugar free ice cream, fudgecycle or pudding. The cravings get really bad around my cycle. I also have about 8 pounds of water weight gain and that was a real hard time to get through last month. I couldn't have gotten even 7 weeks without cheating if it wasn't for MFP and the few good friends I have made. So, that being said, I am really looking forward to a few more daily posters that will reciprocate my encouragement.

I am really interested in the challenges, but will be on vacation for the next week. I haven't figured out how to see the groups from my phone, but only my newsfeed and that of my friends. When I get back from vacation though I will join in here. For now if any daily posters want to be friends, just send the request with a note.

A little about me briefly. I quit my job of 26 years last year, working as a manager position in a grocery store. I finally finished school and the teaching jobs are looking up here in California...so I am going for that second career. I start my student teaching in about a month and I couldn't be more excited and ambitious, but nervous too. I am self conscious about my weight and last year I was an inclusion aide for special education and the kids can be harsh, and I get looks from the staff. My first big goal is to be under 300 and I was hoping to do that by the time school starts. Along with that goal is retesting my A1C in October and having that in check. My dream goal is to lose 100 pounds (from the 330 I started MFP at) and get a tummy tuck because my panni hangs half way to my knees. I will most likely end up paying out of pocket so I will need a job after my internship. My aim is for summer of 14 or 15.

Anyway, my short story turned long. I look forward to getting to know you all...and like I said, after my vacation I will be more active on the board here. (does anyone know a way to access the board from my phone?) It was nice to read all your intros and see that we have so much in common. Keep up the good work ladies!!
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Welcome Melissa and Shari! Shari, I just sent you a message explaining how to access groups from a phone in case you missed it here. You have to open your browser and access the full site from there rather than logging in on the app. I use chrome and set my bookmarks right for the groups.

Shari, your story sounds a lot like mine, right down to stealing money to buy food and being abused at a young age. I used to be able to keep my weight a little bit in check using exercise, but after getting Still's, I lost that coping tool and was forced to face my food addiction. I'm in the final stages of getting approved for bariatric surgery, the sleeve gastrectomy, which involves reducing the size of my stomach but not re-routing anything. It's a long, long process, but I'm so glad the bariatric center introduced me to MFP. What a great find!

Most of our chatting takes place on the daily dated threads. We sticky and unsticky them so they're easy to find. Ease feel free to jump into the 50-50 challenge and the minis. Even if you can't win the final prize, if you earn all of your daily points, you WILL get healthier and lose weight, and that's the point, right? Plus you can win some of the mini prizes!

Heather (Blondageh) is in charge of our spreadsheet, but Patrick (RatPat) can probably hook you up with your own page too. I've had no luck posting :/ to the spreadsheet from my phone though.

K.
  • catladyksa
    Options
    Just a quick welcome Shari ! Glad to have you on board!

Nancy
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the invite, Karen. If it's not already obvious, I'm starting this mid-way through. Karen had sent me some previous invitations that I declined for various reasons, but I accepted this time and an really excited. Thanks everyone for letting me join late!

I'm Steph. I've been on MFP for a long time but only really started getting into it this year. I'm a long time student with a BA, MA, and MFA. For a long time I used education as a means to avoid pursuing my dreams because I didn't think I was good enough to land the job, smart enought to perform to expectation, or pretty enough to get hired. Right now I'm finishing up a certificate in nonprofit management which I'm hoping I won't want to turn into an other Master's because my wallet can't afford it and my brain is almost toast now. The hardest things for me with weight loss have been binge eating and time management (that's a nice way of saying procrastination and being full of excuses). I am busy, but I'm learning some work arounds. I work full time as a sales and marketing coordinator and am on the board of trustees for an arts academy in NH. My goal is to eventually move into educational nonprofit work fulltime, hopefully in the fundraising and grant writing side of things. I think my weight loss will help me feel confident enough with the networking skills needed to be successful in this field.

I started at 290 and have an ultimate goal weight of 120. But I'll be re-evaluating as I go. This is just based on BMI (I'm 5'3") and might this might not actually be my real "happy number." My weight loss has been divided into two parts: the mental and the numbers. I feel pretty confident in saying that I'm in recovery of my binge eating and beginning to see the light at the end of the long tunnel called major depression. After a year of therapy, I'm finally beginning to lose weight again, rather then just lose and regain the same five pounds.

I've gotten back into swimming, which is really exciting. I grew up with a pool and a tennis court and used both religiously, so I feel like like I'm finding bits of my old self again. I'm training for a couple of 5Ks this fall, which is why I thought this challenge would be good. I'm competitive and can use all the help I can get with getting in even better shape for my races.

I found the link to the google docs and will make a tab once I get home.

Quick question...may have missed this somewhere...When we talk about "weeks" (as in "the challenge for this week"), what day does the week begin? I just want to make sure I'm not couting points when I shouldn't.