Day 4, July 23

Options
KarenZen
KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
I'm on kid duty again today, Hurrah. That means lots of exercise!

What are you all up to on this glorious humpday?

Replies

• blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Workin' workin' workin'... I am hoping to get more swimming in tonight. I really don't like the community pool in the evenings because the water is hot and it is crowded but I will take what I can get. I am about to guzzle 1 Liter of water so I can reward myself with a Diet Coke. Am I the only one who does this? I know Diet Coke is not good for you, but I cannot give it up completely and in order to have one, I must first get at least 1/3 of my water in. That's my rule.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Here's a question... do you eat your exercise calories? My nutritionist for the bariatric program told me not to, so I'm trying to stay under 1400 calories, But on days like yesterday when I was swimming around (not doing laps but chasing kids) for 2-3 hours, I am so hungry I can't sleep. Last night I wound up getting up and scarfing down leftovers. I logged it and was 2000 calories for the day, so 600 over my 1400 allotment. But with calories burned in exercise (I only logged in an hour of swimming because I think MFP'S calorie counts for exercise run too high), I was still under my limit.

What do. You guys do with your exercise calories? I feel like some days I'm going to need to eat some of them and some days not, but is that playing too fast and loose? Heather, I know your calorie count is set pretty low too. What have you been doing?

Supposed to be a hot day here today. I have a 7-year-old on my couch watching Ninja turtles. Time to suit up and play pirate treasure.
    Karen in lovely Maine
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Workin' workin' workin'... I am hoping to get more swimming in tonight. I really don't like the community pool in the evenings because the water is hot and it is crowded but I will take what I can get. I am about to guzzle 1 Liter of water so I can reward myself with a Diet Coke. Am I the only one who does this? I know Diet Coke is not good for you, but I cannot give it up completely and in order to have one, I must first get at least 1/3 of my water in. That's my rule.

Yeah... I do this. Diet coke is one of my big treats. I try to limit, but oh when I finally have one in a big glass of ice, it's SO GOOD. I have to give carbonated beverages after bariatric surgery. Saying goodbye to diet coke is going to need a funeral, I think. Long black dress. Lacy black veil. Lots of weeping.
  • pittgal08
    pittgal08 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    LOL I do that too!! I have to wait till I get all 64 oz in, but mine is Diet Pepsi. Yum!
    Karen about the calorie thing, I think you have to listen to your body. I also am planning not to use those "extra" calories, but if my body tells me to eat then I will. I think it's just a day by day choice maybe. Like you said, yesterday you did a lot so your body needed that extra fuel.
  • mikesgirl4evr
    mikesgirl4evr Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    My doctor doesn't want me to eat my exercise calories. I can't get him to understand that if I eat the amount of calories that MFP tells me to, I should still lose 1 1/2 pounds a week. Most days I try not to eat them but there are days when for whatever reason I'm extra hungry and I do eat them. Like you Karen, I don't trust MFP's calculations for calories burned during exercise. That's why I never log any of my walks through MFP. My steps are counted over on FitBit and that is linked to MFP so I take whatever calories burned that FitBit gives me. I also have a couple different calorie burned calculators bookmarked and I check with them on other exercises and try to balance the calories burned with what MFP says. Does that make sense?
  • mikesgirl4evr
    mikesgirl4evr Posts: 363 Member
    Options

Yeah... I do this. Diet coke is one of my big treats. I try to limit, but oh when I finally have one in a big glass of ice, it's SO GOOD. I have to give carbonated beverages after bariatric surgery. Saying goodbye to diet coke is going to need a funeral, I think. Long black dress. Lacy black veil. Lots of weeping.

LOL, as I was reading your response Karen, I was thinking "oh, you're going to have to give that soda up." I gave soda up before my surgery because I figured giving up my favorite foods and my Diet Pepsi was going to be way too much at the same time. I had my surgery in April of 2006 but I haven't had a soda (except for maybe a sip or two when I am out and have absolutely nothing else to drink) since November of 2005. Drinking soda now, even a very small sip, physically hurts so that makes it pretty easy not to drink it, lol.
  • NorahCait
    NorahCait Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I eat back at least some of my exercise calories on most days. For a while, my calories were set at 1,220, which just wasn't nearly enough considering my activity level. I just use my FitBit adjustment, though -- I don't add anything for weight lifting. I try not to eat back all of the calories because a) I don't weigh/measure everything, b) I sometimes use an entry that isn't exactly what I ate (but I try to pick one that looks similar and has a higher calorie count than most of the others), and c) I don't trust the FitBit calorie adjustment to be accurate.
  • PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I eat back a portion of my exercise calories, as thats how MFP's system is set up. If I didn't then I would be eating far too few calories. I only eat a portion as I know all the burns are estimate, and i let my fitbit recalculate my activity level for each day and thus the total number of calories I can eat (especially when sedentary for the day). I log my other none step exercises manually or with whatever tracking app I am using, like Cyclemeter which tracks my bike rides and posts the workout to MFP. But an 1.5hr bike ride at my age and weight can burn close to 1000 calories, if I didn't eat some of those back I would have a 2000 calorie deficit, wich isn't good.
  • catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    ............ I log my other none step exercises manually or with whatever tracking app I am using, like Cyclemeter which tracks my bike rides and posts the workout to MFP. But an 1.5hr bike ride at my age and weight can burn close to 1000 calories, if I didn't eat some of those back I would have a 2000 calorie deficit, wich isn't good.

I think I need to get a bike!!! 1000 calories burned! Wow!!
  • pittgal08
    Options
    Me too! I can't wait to be able to ride a bike! I can't afford a bike that would hold me at my weight now so I have to wait till I get down to 350 lbs. :( My brother is a cyclist. He rides everywhere, to and from work everyday (even in the rain and snow), and all other places that are within a 30 mile radius. It is his main exercise. He is a knight for Team USA in Heavy Armor Combat which they fight internationally. He's also planning on cycling around the world in a couple years. My point is that cycling is awesome exercise for fitness and weight loss. I can't wait for the wind to be flowing through my hair as I peddle down the street. It's definitely one of my big goals. Sorry, got all sappy for a minute lol
  • ronercat
    ronercat Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I too miss diet coke. In February a few friends and I decided to give up soda for the month. I was the only one that made it. When I got there I decided I would try and go a year. Some days I really regret that decision... As far as exercise calories go I do not eat them, but then again I have a pretty high daily limit at the moment and I think that MFP overestimates the amount of calories I burn for tennis and such. When I get into a lower calorie range I will most likely follow what Pat is doing.
  • artelyn
    artelyn Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    For me, it's a day to day thing. I try not to eat any of my exercise calories but somedays I just have to have a little something. And I don't beat myself up about it, but I try to keep it on a somewhat healthy side. Not always successful in that, but I try!
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Thank you for all of your feedback! I think patience is going to be my guide too. If I'm eating back some of the exercise and still losing 3-4 pounds/week, then I'll keep doing that. If not, I'll adjust. I just have to stick with one method long enough to create a pattern!

I just got out of the Lake after almost an entire day of swimming and tomfoolery. First I had my 7-year-old friend Skippy McGrape (his adventure name) for a couple of hours of wrestling with the hose trying to fill water balloons (we pretended it was a wild, vicious snake), snorkeling and chasing fish, and doing flips over pool noodles. Then another 7-year-old arrived (new friend). I thought the two of them would entertain each other, but apparently they needed me to be the water balloon target. And of course I had to attack them as the Lake shark. And then they got on a big yellow floatie that I spun around in circles and shook up and down while screaming" rough seas." (The premise of this game is that they are on a relaxing boat trip when SUDDENLY A HUGE STORM PROPELS THEM INTO ROUGH SEAS ... AAARRGGHHH!!!) So, yeah, I got my exercise today, LOL. Next Tuesday I'll have them both again, plus the two girls , and we will have a pirate/buried treasure adventure. Yeah, I'm kind of like a theme park.

Water has been easy today--I'm using a 32 ounce cup and just sip all day.

Food is going to be iffy... I 'm starving and don't have anything in the house except a can of lentil soup and a lean cuisine.
    I'm tempted to have the hubs bring something home, but I may just eat the soup and let it settle. Usually very filling.

How are you all doing?
  • pittgal08
    Options
    Sounds like a wonderful day! I completely understand not really wanting the food that's in the house. Eating out, or I should say, wanting to eat out is a struggle for me. I ALWAYS want to because cooking takes so much effort for me. However, I'm doing my best to be creative with all of the groceries that we have in the house. Tonight I made chili. I wish I had some ground turkey, but I used ground beef. It still ended up not too bad. A little over 400 cals per serving. Whether you eat your lentil soup or choose for your hubby to bring home dinner, I have no doubt that you will make a healthy choice. ;)
    So, day two that I will get in all three points! Yay!! I hope yall are having a great day as well. Blessings! ;)
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Sounds like a wonderful day! I completely understand not really wanting the food that's in the house. Eating out, or I should say, wanting to eat out is a struggle for me. I ALWAYS want to because cooking takes so much effort for me. However, I'm doing my best to be creative with all of the groceries that we have in the house. Tonight I made chili. I wish I had some ground turkey, but I used ground beef. It still ended up not too bad. A little over 400 cals per serving. Whether you eat your lentil soup or choose for your hubby to bring home dinner, I have no doubt that you will make a healthy choice. ;)
    So, day two that I will get in all three points! Yay!! I hope yall are having a great day as well. Blessings! ;)
    Chili is one of my go-to foods. Love to make a big batch and freeze small portions. I use really lean, grass fed beef and mexican stewed tomatoes and usually two kinds of beans (dark red kidney and black beans). 1 pound beef, 2 cans stewed tomatoes, 1 can black beans, 2 cans kidney beans, spices to suit. Calories for the entire pot is 1560, and I usually get six pints out of it, so 260/pint. With turkey, you only save 20 calories per serving over grass fed beef, and I'd rather have the beef. Luckily, we have a friend who raises steer, pigs, chickens, and ducks, so we get organic meat and grass fed beef for VERY cheap (like $3.49/pound for the beef!) OH, just realized I should have put this in the recipe thread. I think I'll copy it there too.

Sarah, you're so kind! I love that you wrote "I have no doubt that you will make a healthy choice," because I was totally prepared to NOT make one, LOL. Thank goodness my good sense won over my hunger. I drank a protein shake and another 8 oz. of water and calmed the beast down enough to make a rational decision about dinner. Soup wins! Congrats on getting all your points again today! We can do this!

Karen
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Jusr got back from another hour long swim. Woo woo. I dont generally eat exercise cals back but like others have said, if I happenbto go over on an exercise day, I dont beat myself up over it because I know they are there. I also dont count on the MFP calculations either tho. My doctor asked me to eat 1/2 back but I dont listen to her. Im stubborn like that. Good day. Hungry day, but good.