July Chat

Options

Replies

• grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Well, I just made life harder for myself. I had a goal of 130 lbs., but that would have made me just in the "healthy" parameter. But...I would have had less to lose than I already have lost. That was encouraging. I'd rather be realistic and I always liked 115 pounds best. 115 is right in the middle of the "healthy" scale. But that is 63 pounds more compared to 48 pounds. Oh well, when I get to 130 I will be so happy and so motivated that I won't mind continuing, right? :ohwell:
  • ireallyneedit
    ireallyneedit Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Well, back from the cottage last night at 11:30 p.m. such a long dreary drive and unfortunately the weather was very bad..like 45 degrees when we got there and was rainy and cold the whole time but 2 days. I love the barge and fires at night but impossible to do in the weather we had. We had the whole family and friends like a total of 13 people so it got to be a bit much having to stay indoors. Now my daughter and twin (4 yr. old boy and girl) will be here Tuesday for a week so more cooking etc. A little weary but it is of course nice to have everyone. My other granddaughter 12 yrs old loves the twins and does not get to see them much.

I started logging again today and will start my exercise routine on Mon. Will weight in on Wed. and although I am sure I did not loose (never do) I feel certain I did not gain.......Good to read all your posts ....Linda
  • CateAussie
    CateAussie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Have had a really good week & am back into logging regularly again. I had regained some weight & felt disgusting. I have lost 2.5kg already. Still have 5 or 6kg to go, but was once 111kg (2007). I will start posting here but please let me know if I post in the wrong place. I am 61, retired & live in Tasmania, Australia, in the middle of what we call "the bush".
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Hi Cate.........glad you have joined us!

I have been away at my son's in London for the weekend and so have not been tracking........ will get on the scales in the morning and get started again...I know I have put a few pounds back but won't take long to get them off again........trouble is I have about four more consecutive weekends away coming up so it is going to be a struggle....realistically I hope not to gain ...good tracking for five days a week and then enjoy the weekends......

Jean
  • Wooken3
    Wooken3 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    australia-4144.gif

Welcome to the Group -- Cate!!

Be sure and check out the "July Goals" and weekly "Wed Check in" pages. Both have been great accountability tools for me.

“There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.” ~Dr. Denis Waitley
  • jeanmrob
    Options
    Good day here today as I am filled with positivity!

Tried a new thing ...Zumba...which I enjoyed......and as I also loved the Aquafit at the sports centre and I go swimming there too I am seriously thinking of taking out a years subscription there........ I have been a member at a posh hotel gym in the past and left when I decided I wasn't getting my moneys worth....... but now I am more interested, have more time and this time I think I would see it as an incentive.....

Also cooked myself a nice low cal meal from a Weight Watchers magazine so all good..and I have some calories left for this evening......

Hope your day was good!

Jean
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    Jean, so you liked Zumba? I work in a building where one of the agencies has daily workout sessions at lunchtime. In fact, I had the rubber floor layed out and installed for them. And the other day they asked if I could get my hands on some big fans which I did. They have started Zumba on Thursdays and they had noticed the weight I was losing so one of the women stopped to invite me to join them in thanks for the floor and the fans. They have an instructor come and they do two 1/2 hour sessions.

On other days they do various video workouts.

I was hesitant because I still can't believe that I am as fit as I probably am and Zumba looks exhausting. I felt that way about walking, but I now outwalk everyone that I thought I wouldn't be able to keep up with. Tonight I mowed the lawn and zipped right through it although several years ago the doctor made me quit doing it. I must admit, back then I thought I would die when I mowed. So maybe I can do the Zumba. I always loved to dance, so that is why the thought appealed to me. How long was your class?

I love how you try so many new things. Are you still doing the tai chi? I would like to do that, too, but only so many hours in the day! I will say that I have really gained flexibility with the stretch trainer machine that I love. That might help with the exercising, too.

Keep us informed with the Zumba!
    Charlie
  • CateAussie
    CateAussie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you Jean & Wooken for welcoming me. It feels great to be back on track. I have been full of energy & enthusiasm today. Tomorrow I am playing golf, with the women at our local club. I organised a Memorial day for my mother-in-law, who died in Feb. She used to play golf & loved that I took it up in 2012. There are some lovely women who play, but some can be very cliquey & quite unfriendly. Fingers crossed it goes well! I'm really looking forward to playing.
  • debneeds2beskinny
    debneeds2beskinny Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    hey everyone -
    got the MRI results for the back issues - not a pretty sight, but the good news is they gave me some really good exercises to do that don't hurt a lot and will be helpful to my back. YAY -

had a good week last week - lots of busy activities, so lost the couple of lbs I put on the previous week. Hopefully the weigh in tomorrow will show an additional lb or two.

Got to ride the motorcycle this weekend, didn't get rained out for the first time in a bit. Hope ya'll have a great week.
  • jeanmrob
    Options
    My Zumba class was an hour........ you can kind of do it at your own pace in that you can do less with your arms while you concentrate on getting the steps right......... of all the ladies doing it, none looked much like the instructor, but all enjoyed it....I will have to practise my wiggle though.......and my shimmy! I think it will take time to really get the hang of it but dancing about and moving for an hour is better than sat on my bum! :blushing:

Jean
  • californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    @debneedsto,

Sorry about the bad news on the MRI for your back. I hope the exercises they gave you help to relieve some of your pain. I know all to well about back issues! Just keep on doing the exercises. Good luck with them
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Jean, it is my feeling that any movement is better than sitting on your bum. So congratulations on doing Zumba!

I have discovered the weighted hula hoop, thanks to my neighbor. It is my new favorite exercise! Since I can't walk outside because of all the pollen and other stuff floating around (all summer this year, it seems like), and my motorized treadmill needs repair, I'm glad for the weighted hula hoop. If the exercise isn't fun, I won't do it.
  • bvifun
    bvifun Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I had one of the best days of my life on Saturday. Now I will try and see if I can share a pic with you that will show the awesome time I had.

imagejpg1_zpsc5cf3d10.jpg

HELP. That didn't work. Does anyone else use photobucket or can tell me how to do this. PLEASE.
  • jots12354
    jots12354 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hello all..I am a newbie here, will be 60 Aug 16th,,looking forward in chatting with you all..need to get some of this weight off these knees.
  • Wooken3
    Wooken3 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    bvifun, looks like a wonderful day!

Got the second one to work...plz check the ulr for the first photo. In order to see how to type the link, click on "quote." :smile:

I had one of the best days of my life on Saturday. Now I will try and see if I can share a pic with you that will show the awesome time I had.

HELP. That didn't work. Does anyone else use photobucket or can tell me how to do this. PLEASE.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    bvifun: That looked so cool. Can understand why you loved it!

Jots: The knees seems to get a lot of people started at MFP! Welcome.

Gramanana: I think I would do better with the Zumba even though it is tough! The hoola hoop sounds like fun, but I remember it being really strenuous as a kid!

Deb: Glad they have given you some exercises that don't hurt. They will help, too.

I did discover a nice NSV while on my short getaway! I could actually wear the B&B provided one-size-fits-all robe normally. I wouldn't have been able to overlap it before! 6 months ago, I wasn't an "ALL." I must have been a "LARGER-THAN-AN-ALL!" :smile:

Charlie
  • bvifun
    bvifun Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Thank you, thank you Wooken . That was the only pic I tried to put up.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    Okay, I'm gearing up! I will need to make some calories room for beer next weekend! (Yes, Claudine, beer, not wine!) Next weekend is the Dublin, Ohio, Irish Festival. Beer, bands, food, beer, dancing, beer! It is the largest Irish festival outside of Ireland (and frankly, I doubt that they have an Irish festival in Ireland). There are many tents and stages with entertainment continuously. You can even join me live as the two largest tents usually stream on the internet. Many of the bands are internationally known Irish or Celtic bands. You will find me usually at the Killian's Celtic Rock Stage. I usually take off work, but not this year. So, I probably will only make Saturday evening and Sunday. Can't wait. My whole family is into this and we always have a good time!
  • anothergirl48
    Options
    Hi, My name is Karen, I'm a 65 year old widow living alone with my two dogs, two cats, and a parrot. I just started my diet/exercise plan, and I hope to get back down to a decent size. I am now too fat for my liking. 5' 4" and 220. Yeah enough said. I don't want to wear a two piece bathing suit, but I don't want to be mistaken for a beached whale either. I still feel great, have no major health problems, so I want to help my body out, so that I stay healthy. I am hoping to meet a lot of nice people here, and will swap funny stories, and good stories of success. Happy to have found you.
  • Fig_1946
    Fig_1946 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi Karen....welcome! Glad you joined the group. I live alone, too....with my 5 parrots!

It's a challenge losing weight, but it can be done. I've gone from 210 to 128....I just control my portion sizes and cut out all the "extras". I'm a vegetarian and have been for 14 years.