Should I commute from home or live in an apartment?

Options
Hello,

I am entering my junior year of college this year. I have lived away from my parents for two years (one year in a dorm, one year in an apartment). My parents have moved closer to me (since my younger sister graduated from high school and is going to school far away) since I just happened to pick a college that is a lot closer to their jobs, and this move as allowed them to downsize and cut their commute time by a lot. Now I have encountered a situation where I have to decide giving up my apartment lease (which is a 15-minute walk to campus) or living with my parents, and having a 30/40 minute public transportation ride to school. The obvious pro is that living with my parents will cut down on my eventual student loans by a LOT. I am honestly not sure if I'll be able to pay back my loans within the timeframe set up in my contract, even if I did live at home. The cons are numerous, however. My parents and I fought all the time when I was growing up and I was absolutely miserable living at home. I am an introvert and would no longer have any alone time. I will have close to no time to work out several days a week with commuting, going to school, and going straight to work. I will also not have as much control over my food as I would if I was living alone. My social life would go downhill living far away from my friends. But of course....the money is a large factor. I also feel especially weird with the idea of living at home as an upperclassman, rather than an underclassman. I'm about to turn 21 and feel kind of old for this, even though I understand that people live with their parents at all stages of life, I just mean the reverse seems more logical, living with your family at first, then moving out, rather than moving out and then back in, which is potentially what I am doing. If anyone has any input or experience with commuting in college and wants to help, I would appreciate it!

Replies

• hzm0016
    hzm0016 Posts: 15
    Options
    It seems like you have more reasons not to move in with your parents. Yes, money is important, but if moving in with your parents will put a strain on so many things you care about (fitness, friendships, your relationship with your parents), then it might be a better idea to take fewer class hours and work a job for extra money than to sacrifice your sanity.

However, if you are very anxious about money and decide you need to move back home, don't let yourself believe that it is weird or awful to live with your parents again. Now that we're adults, it's time to realize that the social stigma-- living with your parents is lame-- doesn't matter if you are making a logical choice. You gotta do what you gotta do.