Postpartum Urinary Incontinence

Options
seidel1325
seidel1325 Posts: 94 Member
I am 2 weeks postpartum today and have urinary incontinence. From what I've read, this seems to be a fairly common condition. I was wondering if anyone else is willing to share their experience with this issue. Specifically, how long did it take to resolve?

Replies

• cleaneater80
    cleaneater80 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I am 5 weeks PP and had the same. I had a vaginal delivery with my daughter being sunny side up and was a fast pusher.

This was not something I was prepared for after delivery. I still leak when I cough and at times when I'm about to go to the bathroom my bladder spasms. All I've heard is Kegels - kegels and more of them. I am not going to start any running until this gets a bit better because I've heard that jumping can cauuse more permanent damage.

Looking forward to everyone's experience with this problem
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I had a bit of an issue with this after my first delivery (vag, bad tear, pushed for over an hour). I had to make sure not to hold my pee too long, and when my vag was feeling up to it I started doing kegels again. I can't remember how long it took to go away, but I don't think it was very long.
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I had this a little after each pregnancy. (all vaginal and all I tore at least 2nd degree). I don't remember how long it took to resolve, but at 2 months postpartum I seem to only have issues when doing jumping jacks or movements like that.

My midwife tells people in her postpartum apt to do kegels during every diaper diaper change so you don't have to wear a diaper. I try to remember, but I"m not good about it. It does get better. If it's not better by your postpartum visit tell them as they may need to do more.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I was scared - truly scared - of this being an issue for me. Urinary incontinence was a major problem for me during both pregnancies - so bad that when my water broke I truly thought I had just major peed my pants.
    I got lucky and have been fine with both kids though.
    Just wanted to share that my best friend had this problem with hers - she said it went away about 3 months pp.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I had it a little after both pregnancies and a little towards the end of my second pregnancy. (Both were vaginal deliveries and I was an efficient pusher - three pushes for baby #1 and two pushes for baby #2!) I never peed my pants per se but would leak a little if I coughed hard or sneezed or laughed too hard. Thank God for giant postpartum maxi pads!

Both times it had resolved completely by 2-3 months, give or take. It didn't last long either time. I'm 14 months postpartum today and can assure you that my underwear is always dry even after serial sneezes (I almost always sneeze three times.)

For some women it is a permanent thing, but I think that's more the exception to the rule. I know my mom had (has?) that issue, and she had four kids vaginally. However I think it may have had more to do with the fact that she had two pelvic surgeries later on, not pregnancy/L&D.
  • HeyNikkita
    HeyNikkita Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I am two weeks PP, if my bladder is really full I can run to the toilet and it starts coming before I even sit down.

I am 26 with a 3.5yo and a 2 week old. I am able to hold it with sneezes and laughs and coughs and such.
    Before baby #2, I still leaked a little *tiny* bit with the more forceful sneezes or jumping on the trampoline when I had a full bladder... but not much more than that.