Prepping for a 5K

Replies

• DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    I have the Zombies, Run! app on my phone, and when I started working out about a month ago I couldn't even complete on mission (20-30 minutes) walking/biking as slow as I could! Now I can easily complete an entire mission...

How do you find the Zombies, Run! app? Is it entertaining and/or engaging, or is it a thinly-disguised electronic cheerleader?

I'm a bit of a gamer, and would love it if it actually had some substance.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    I love it. It is incredibly engaging, the first few missions of season one are just "meh", they are introducing you to the world and the characters, but by the middle of the first season I was completely enthralled with the story. I cheered (audibly. At the gym). I almost cried several times. I laughed - a lot.

It's not gorey and you always outrun the zoms (others aren't so lucky, but you are).

The format is pretty simple, you listen to an audio clip of the story, followed by a song. Then another clip, another song, etc. Season one is five audio clips and four songs. I think season two is six audio clips and five songs. During songs you "pick up" (non-interactively, there's a robotic voice that tells you what you've picked up) supplies. You can use those supplies to build your township in a mini-simcityish-game. That's really the most interaction you have with the game, and it's totally optional.

There are chases you can turn on, where zombies chase you and you have to speed up 20% to outrun them. If they catch you you drop supplies that you've collected. I leave chases off, I'm not fit enough for interval training yet.

It's really designed to be used walking/running outside or on a treadmill. I used it on the elliptical and bike, but I don't have it set up to track and count steps and distance. I listen to it for the story.

I honestly think it was the best money I've spent on an app and credit it with getting me to go to the gym. I look forward to being able to hear the next installment every day.
  • kazman72
    kazman72 Posts: 16 Member
    I have been walking about 35 miles per week for the last couple of months and just started week 3 of the C25K. I do these training sessions inside my regular walks and normally do each segment twice during the week. My goal is to run a 5k in early September , but most of all I like that it breaks up some of the monotony of a long walk. I like to bike and go to the gym, but the endurance of being able to run has always been intriguing to me. In my case keeping moving regardless of the activity has been the best medicine.
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    I haven't updated in a couple weeks...

I ran 10 min continuous today; which is the longest I have run continuously since high school back in the 1970s :)

Today's workout was 5 minutes walking > 10 minutes running > 5 minutes walking > 5 minutes running > 5 minutes walking

w8d3.jpg

Even though 10 minutes is only part way there, I am amazed at the progress. When I started I could barely run for 30 seconds. And best of all I FEEL so much better.

Anyone considering this, do it! If I can go from running 30 seconds to 10 minutes in a couple months, probably anyone can. Just progress at the pace your body allows. I stretched the standard C25K from 9 weeks to 14 weeks and so far so good. (I also went from 288 lbs to 237 lbs since Jan which helps a lot) :)
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    Awesome progress.

I'm interval training now too. When I'm done with Zombies, Run! I think I'm going to go for the training tools you've been using and go into a more regimented program than the one I'm currently making up off the top of my head.

I think I'm gonna train for a 5k, but I don't know if I want to do an official race. Maybe I'll map out a solo test effort and than increase to further distances if I make it to my satisfaction. We'll see.

The big news is, like you, I find I enjoy fitness again.
  • I'm thrilled to hear about your progress cwrig! The most important statement I read is how much you're enjoying running. You're doing fantastic! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    I haven't updated in a couple weeks...

I ran 10 min continuous today; which is the longest I have run continuously since high school back in the 1970s :)

Today's workout was 5 minutes walking > 10 minutes running > 5 minutes walking > 5 minutes running > 5 minutes walking

w8d3.jpg

Even though 10 minutes is only part way there, I am amazed at the progress. When I started I could barely run for 30 seconds. And best of all I FEEL so much better.

Anyone considering this, do it! If I can go from running 30 seconds to 10 minutes in a couple months, probably anyone can. Just progress at the pace your body allows. I stretched the standard C25K from 9 weeks to 14 weeks and so far so good. (I also went from 288 lbs to 237 lbs since Jan which helps a lot) :)

Congrats! I don't think I could run 10 minutes non-stop. You are doing an awesome job!!
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    So I was looking back and in April I said I could do 3 front yards. I'm now up to 6 front yards. Super slow improvement but at least it IS improvement.

CWRIG, you are doing so well! I'm a little jealous :) I dream of running for 5 or 10 minutes at a time. My longest to this point is 1 minute. I am actually at my goal weight after losing 95 lbs. so feel fairly light on my feet. I'm curious - when you are running, what is it that tells you it's time to walk? I always thought it would be legs being tired. But I really don't know. (For me it's my heart rate and breathing. When I start feeling like I'm running in altitude, I know my heart rate is too high and I have to walk.)

Wish I had been a runner when I was young.
  • cathylopez1975
    Question - do any of you runners in training find your morning fasting BG numbers (or numbers in general) to be higher when you are running?
  • cwrig
    ... I'm curious - when you are running, what is it that tells you it's time to walk? I always thought it would be legs being tired. But I really don't know. (For me it's my heart rate and breathing. When I start feeling like I'm running in altitude, I know my heart rate is too high and I have to walk.)

Wish I had been a runner when I was young.

Interesting that you ask that because I was just discussing this with my wife...

Technically; its my "C25K app" that literally says when to start running or start walking.

But in the beginning of the program the challenge was 90% physical. My legs got very tired and sore and my heart was pounding and lungs not able to get enough air. But I've found the further I get into the program, the challenge becomes more mental than physical. Of course there is always a physical component; but at this point it is the primal part of my brain saying "STOP RUNNING, Nobody is chasing us!" It is mentally difficult (for me) to convince my body to keep running for long stretches even if the legs feel fine.

Since the program progresses incrementally with distance and time, its like each week is a small challenge to achieve. Looking too far ahead is terrifying, but if you take one challenge at a time (so far) it works! Each day is a small victory, but looking back over the entire program the progress becomes glaringly evident.
  • cwrig
    Question - do any of you runners in training find your morning fasting BG numbers (or numbers in general) to be higher when you are running?

In general, I've found my fasting numbers have come down a few points (normally around 95 in the morning)

What I find interesting is I normally run in the morning and often the BG is 5 points higher after the run. I assumed running would "burn up" the glucose. Whatever the reason for this; on avg my BG avg numbers have come down a few points since running; not significant, but there.

What has changed is; my weight loss had plateaued for a while, but since running I am back to losing about a lb per week. And my blood pressure is now steady in the standard range and my resting pulse is down to 60.

Aside from "the numbers" I just feel better. More energy, less tiredness.
  • Jeff Galloway has a run/walk program that helps each person figure out how much running and how much walking to start with, and then how to modify that as you become more fit. Often people run too fast, which tires you out and makes you out of breath. When we remember that a run is just barely faster than a walk, it becomes easier! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • cathylopez1975
    Lynn, I had read your earlier post about not running too fast and took it to heart. It did help, especially early on. My biggest challenge is that I had heart valve repair surgery (tricuspid - 3 years ago) and it did a number on my heart rate. In cardiac rehab I was told to keep my heart rate below a certain rate and I find if I go above that I can't breathe. So I'm limited in how much I can push. The best thing for me after working at this since the first of the year is that I can tell my fitness is improving. I may never be a "runner" but I'm sure better than I was at this time last year.
  • cathylopez1975
    quote:

But in the beginning of the program the challenge was 90% physical. My legs got very tired and sore and my heart was pounding and lungs not able to get enough air. But I've found the further I get into the program, the challenge becomes more mental than physical. Of course there is always a physical component; but at this point it is the primal part of my brain saying "STOP RUNNING, Nobody is chasing us!" It is mentally difficult (for me) to convince my body to keep running for long stretches even if the legs feel fine.

Since the program progresses incrementally with distance and time, its like each week is a small challenge to achieve. Looking too far ahead is terrifying, but if you take one challenge at a time (so far) it works! Each day is a small victory, but looking back over the entire program the progress becomes glaringly evident.
    [/quote]

This is what I was wondering. Thanks for the answer. I'm not feeling the legs anymore - they are finally getting stronger. What I experience is the breathing issue. I feel like I'm not getting any oxygen. I wondered if anyone else felt the same thing, or was it just my heart valve problem. Good to know you have gotten past it. I'm hoping.....
  • You ARE a runner cathy! Of course you have to follow your doctor's guidelines about heart rate, and the fact that you are able to run for any time/distance is fantastic. Plus you're feeling stronger and your fitness is improving. Those are major successes! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • cwrig
    Update: Today ends week 10 of 14 of my Couch to 5K training program. Read the rest of this thread if you want to see where I started 10 weeks ago. Ini summary; I am 53 years old have never run before, currently weigh 235lbs (down from 288lbs)

Today was a 20 minute run followed by 5 minute walk followed by 5 min run. I must confess that I took 2 30 sec walk breaks during it. So I was not 100% successful but I am not unhappy with my progress. I see my last update here was 2 weeks ago where I was celebrating running for 10 minutes. So I do see good progress.

I can say that at this point it is 80% mental challenge vs 20% physical (for me). I have exactly 4 weeks to my first 5K race. My goal is to run the entire thing with no breaks. With 4 more weeks to train, I think I can do it.

Anyone considering C25K; I highly recommend doing it. I could not run longer than 30 seconds when I started. I feel so much better, and it is certainly helping with weight loss and overall health. I'll update in another 2 weeks.

w10d4.jpg
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Update: Today ends week 10 of 14 of my Couch to 5K training program. Read the rest of this thread if you want to see where I started 10 weeks ago. Ini summary; I am 53 years old have never run before, currently weigh 235lbs (down from 288lbs)

Today was a 20 minute run followed by 5 minute walk followed by 5 min run. I must confess that I took 2 30 sec walk breaks during it. So I was not 100% successful but I am not unhappy with my progress. I see my last update here was 2 weeks ago where I was celebrating running for 10 minutes. So I do see good progress.

I can say that at this point it is 80% mental challenge vs 20% physical (for me). I have exactly 4 weeks to my first 5K race. My goal is to run the entire thing with no breaks. With 4 more weeks to train, I think I can do it.

Anyone considering C25K; I highly recommend doing it. I could not run longer than 30 seconds when I started. I feel so much better, and it is certainly helping with weight loss and overall health. I'll update in another 2 weeks.

w10d4.jpg

You are doing an AMAZING job!!!
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Thanks for your update cwrig, congratulations on your progress. You're an inspiration and your determination is very commendable to be sure!

Looking forward to your next update. Best of luck as you train during these last few weeks for your first 5k!
  • Fantastic progress! Was it mental or physical reasons for the two 30 second breaks? Taking a walking break isn't a bad thing, but it's good to know the reason for the break, and then you can address it. You're definitely going to be ready for the 5K! ~Lynn/Glucerna
  • cwrig
    Was it mental or physical reasons for the two 30 second breaks?

At the point I stopped to walk my brain was convincing me it was physical, but I noticed I recovered very quickly and really had no pain; just was tired of the uncomfortableness of running for extended periods. So I have concluded its a mental toughness problem. Im sure if I was more fit, it would be less uncomfortable; but I think at this point is a mental toughness problem.