Prepping for a 5K

Options

Replies

• diabetesdieter
    diabetesdieter Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing great! Just keep jogging/walking until you can build a solid amount of time. I jog slow, but I am up to 3.6+ miles now. Slow and steady wins the race!
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    You're definitely running too fast! Since your walk is 19 minutes per mile, aim to run at 17-18 minutes per mile. It's always better to more slowly and build your endurance while feeling good. Over time you'll get faster. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thank you Lynn. That is encouraging. On the next one I will run slower; that makes sense. I'll update after week 1 and let you know how its going.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Keep going! C25K is more challenging than a lot of people like to think. I'm only able to get to Week 3 myself right now. But I'm walking, walking, walking, walking everywhere I can (matter of fact, I'm walking a 5K today) and I know I'll get there.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Keep going! C25K is more challenging than a lot of people like to think. I'm only able to get to Week 3 myself right now. But I'm walking, walking, walking, walking everywhere I can (matter of fact, I'm walking a 5K today) and I know I'll get there.

How fun! I've never done a 5k before but I want to. Let me know how it goes Cathalain! :)
    I need to walk a lot more than I do.
  • cwrig
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I took Lynn's advice and took the running portion of the intervals slower. Something magical happened: My overall pace improved even though I ran slower. I think because I was not so exhausted, my walking intervals were faster and I actually made it through the running intervals; making my overall pace faster. Next week looks challenging, so I am glad to have discovered this now. Many Thanks!

Back "on track" :)
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    I'm glad you had a breakthrough cwrig! It's sometimes hard to believe that running more slowly with walking breaks leads to faster overall times, but it's true! Check out www.jeffgalloway.com for more info on this. He's the run/walk guru. Have fun on the 5K Cathalain! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Keep up the great work! When you have done your first 5K you will see that there are all walks of live and levels of speed at one. Not everyone runs the whole time. Many walk/run. The environment is infectious! Very fun to be a part of one. I've done 5-6 of them now and have yet to run all the way through. Just take it at your own pace and even if you are not running 100% when your chosen 5K happens, you should do it anyways! The last one I did there was a 93 year old man who came in nearly last at over 1 hour, but everyone was so supportive of him! I love the K world!

Word of advice - I always chew mint gum when I do them. Helps keep my mouth moist so I can avoid the coughing that I get when I over exert. Not sure if you have that issue, but it sure helped me. A really strong mint gum will also keep your nose open too so you can breath better.
  • cwrig
    Options
    Thanks for the tips.

I enrolled in a 5K taking place Sept 5th of this year. I am on week 2 of a 12 week C25K program that ends (if i stay on schedule) the week before the race. This is not easy for me because of my weight and my general being out of shape, but the work feels good (so far). 10 weeks to go :)
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Very commendable. Glad you're feeling great too. Wishing you all the best. An accomplishment you can to truly be proud of when completed. Cheering you on as your September date approaches. Keep us informed.

Good luck!
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Congrats on signing up for the 5K! One of my favorite running authors is John Bingham, known as the Penguin because his motto is: "I'm slow - get over it". He also says "The miracle isn't that I finished the race; the miracle is that I had the courage to start." You're pushing yourself outside your comfort zone and working toward a goal - and you're a runner! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • cwrig
    Options
    Update: Just finished week 3 of 14 in my quest to 5K.

The advice to slow down has helped a lot. Today I can actually say it felt good to run. The progress is slow, but there is definitely progress.

w3d3.jpg

On a related note; I mapped out my BMI goals last night. Realistically I am looking at Jan 2016 as my target date for my weight goal. I started this journey Dec 2013.

That is 2 years from when I started which seems like an ETERNITY. But when I think about it, losing 120 lbs in 2 years is not too bad when I consider it took 25 years to put it on! 40 down, 80 to go :)

bmi.jpg

The running has really helped. My weight loss was slowing down. Since running i feel I am back on track (pun intended)
  • mrron2u
    Options
    You are really doing good! I am thinking about starting up C25K this weekend. I have a 5K I want to do in August that is the same one I did 2 years ago. Would like to see how I do as a lighter guy. Keep it up!
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    I love your positive attitude cwrig and it's fantastic that you felt good running today. Thanks for keeping us updated on your progress. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • cwrig
    Options
    Got through Week 5 of 14. Feeling much stronger now...

w5d3.jpg
  • mrron2u
    Options
    Nice work and great time!
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My goal is to be able to run/walk a 5K by New Years. I'm taking it slowly because I'm recently recovered from a major knee surgery last year, and I'm sooooo incredibly out of shape.

My plan is to start walking and get to where I can walk three miles at 3-4 MPH at an incline, and then start increasing my speed by starting a C25K plan.

Right now I'm able to walk a mile at about 2.5/2.7 MPH at an incline of 1. Yuck! But, that's better than I could do a month ago, so I'm pleased.

Good luck on your training and your race!B!
  • cwrig
    Options
    Jesslla; Excellent idea. Let us know your progress.

I also could not start the C25K program when I "started". So like you I just planned to walk for a month or so until I could complete week 1 of the C25K.

I look at running similar to the way I look at my weight loss. I would rather go slow and somewhat steady, than become injured or become sick. It may take longer, but life is not a sprint; it is a marathon. Slow and steady progress will get us there. Stick at it. Im 5 weeks into the C25K program and can hardly believe how much better I feel and how far Ive come already. Considering when I started I couldn't jog for more than 10 seconds!
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have the Zombies, Run! app on my phone, and when I started working out about a month ago I couldn't even complete on mission (20-30 minutes) walking/biking as slow as I could! Now I can easily complete an entire mission, so I'm seeing success. It's amazing how good this exercise makes me feel. I've been able to cut down on my psych drugs (I'm bipolar) without seeing depression come to slap me in the face again.

I'm practically downright perky. :D

I too would rather go slow and steady. I've been injured in the past and it's not fun, I didn't gain the weight overnight and I can't expect to lose it/get in shape overnight either.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Jesslla and cwrig I love the way you're celebrating the successes you're seeing. All too often we only think about what we 'should' be doing: we 'should' be running faster, or 'should' be at a higher incline. When we focus on the 'shoulds' it usually makes us feel inadequate and it's easy to give up. When we focus on the success we feel powerful and are more likely to continue. It's fantastic to see the progress you're making! ~Lynn /Glucerna