Newbie - Already having Issues :(

Options
jzombee
jzombee Posts: 14 Member
Hi my name is Jezabell.

I am in transition to becoming vegan. My normal diet consisted of Chicken, vegetables, fish and some dairy like yogurt and cheese. I have been slowly eating more and more vegetarian and vegan meals. Pretty much ever since starting this new way of life I have had a ache in the center of my stomach *sort of like the empty ache you feel right before your stomach starts to growl* below my rib cage, which has progressed to a more uncomfortable ache accompanied with nausea, gas and some very loose stools. (Sorry for the nasty TMI) I went to the doctor who wrote it off as a stomach virus and gave me pills for pain and nausea (I have not taken because I don't believe in treating symptoms) I have read that one experiences a "detox" during the transition.

My questions are: did any of you experience it? Any holistic ways of treating? How long did it last and what did you do to get by while going through it?

Thank you in advance :)

Replies

• TiahElaine
    TiahElaine Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am a week or so in my transition and I've been extremely tired.. like all the time, but it's expected because your body is adapting..

I'm not sure about your symptoms.. I'm not a medical professional so I really wouldn't want to give you bad advice.. What if you try eliminating in groups? Like eliminate dairy or meat and then once you've got that down.. do the other one..

For me, I have been dairy free for almost a year due to an allergy which I personally found made my transition a bit easier.. But different things work for different people I suppose. I would just make sure you're comfortable..

I hope you start to feel better soon =)
  • jzombee
    Options
    Thank you for responding. I have kicked out all meats and am trying to do the same for all dairy (still have the occasional cheese and yogurt) I read somewhere that during the transition your body does a detox, so I am hoping that is all it is. I am inspired by seeing everyone on here that has completed the transition and hope mine eventually smooths out as well. That is good advice thank you :)
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Everyone's physiology is different-- here is what works for me.As a vegan, I have to be careful to avoid consuming too much fiber. The largest part of my meal consists of refined starch, with plenty of vegetable oil, and only small quantities of vegetables and fruits. Except for tomato juice, I rarely drink juice. I have to avoid large quantities of high-fiber foods, and always make sure to buffer them with larger portions of refined starch and oil. I don't consume a lot of whole grains, peanut butter, fruit, beans, etc. because of the high fiber content.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Everyone's physiology is different-- here is what works for me.As a vegan, I have to be careful to avoid consuming too much fiber. The largest part of my meal consists of refined starch, with plenty of vegetable oil, and only small quantities of vegetables and fruits. Except for tomato juice, I rarely drink juice. I have to avoid large quantities of high-fiber foods, and always make sure to buffer them with larger portions of refined starch and oil. I don't consume a lot of whole grains, peanut butter, fruit, beans, etc. because of the high fiber content.

This is the worst advice I've read on here in a long time. OP - your body WILL adjust to the increase in fiber. Your body is purging all the nasties and WANTS to be filled with good, whole foods. Give yourself about 2 to 3 weeks and you'll be feeling fine. Stay away from refined starches and added oil. The oil really takes a toll on your body. Stick to potatoes, grains, legumes, vegetables and fruit and you will feel incredible very soon!
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I am vegan or vegetarian but following what Campbell and McDougall have to say, I try to avoid processed things, meat, dairy and excessive sweets. Less meat, dairy, and things manipulated in a factory seem to really help me. My transition to more garden items has come about with much learning. Beets, for example, really seem to affect my digestion. I don't avoid them but I do limit the amount that I eat. Steaming, boiling, baking and grilling vegetables or mushrooms is great if I don't actually eat them raw. Fruit and whole grains are the meal of champions. While the potato, squash and quinoa are awesome so are countless other items from the garden. Salsa instead of ketchup is a great substitution. Things like almond milk will replace my addiction to milk. Eating plant-based whole foods are right for me. I think we just have to figure out how foods affect us. It is exciting to see how great it feels to energize off of starches, vegetables, fruit, nuts and grains.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Unless you have intestines of steel, a high-fiber diet could be deadly. I developed an intestinal blockage at age 33 and the doctors predicted I'd be dead within 10 days because I refused surgery and signed myself out of the hospital against medical advice. I was in tremendous pain for about a couple of weeks. It was macadamia nuts that nearly killed me. I normally do not even eat nuts but my boss and his wife brought them back to everyone from Hawaii, and so I ate them even though I dislike nuts. I suffered bouts of cruel intestinal cramping/diarrhea in my 30s and I figured out to limit nuts, seeds, whols grains. fruit, vegetable skins. peas, corn, lentils, beans. Until I figured out fiber was causing the pains, I,'d have pain for 3 days, starting in my ribs and working its way down my digestive system; I had to lie in bed for 3 days every time. And, I also knew someone else who was suffering severe abdominal cramping attacks, and after she took my advice and steered clear of high fiber, she suffered no more!
  • jzombee
    Options

This is the worst advice I've read on here in a long time. OP - your body WILL adjust to the increase in fiber. Your body is purging all the nasties and WANTS to be filled with good, whole foods. Give yourself about 2 to 3 weeks and you'll be feeling fine. Stay away from refined starches and added oil. The oil really takes a toll on your body. Stick to potatoes, grains, legumes, vegetables and fruit and you will feel incredible very soon!

Thank you for the feedback. I honestly thought she was joking so I didn't take her post seriously. I have been doing some research on soluble/insoluble fiber and also talked to my doctor (medical) I am waiting to have a consult with a (holistic) doctor that is educated in the vegan ways. I understand the detox and thank you for the time frame, at least now I have a goal, I know their may be an end to this bad feeling! I feel much better today other than a little gassy and bloated. Hopefully I can get on a balanced vegan diet soon. Thank you again.
  • jzombee
    Options
    I don't know that I am vegan or vegetarian but following what Campbell and McDougall have to say, I try to avoid processed things, meat, dairy and excessive sweets. Less meat, dairy, and things manipulated in a factory seem to really help me. My transition to more garden items has come about with much learning. Beets, for example, really seem to affect my digestion. I don't avoid them but I do limit the amount that I eat. Steaming, boiling, baking and grilling vegetables or mushrooms is great if I don't actually eat them raw. Fruit and whole grains are the meal of champions. While the potato, squash and quinoa are awesome so are countless other items from the garden. Salsa instead of ketchup is a great substitution. Things like almond milk will replace my addiction to milk. Eating plant-based whole foods are right for me. I think we just have to figure out how foods affect us. It is exciting to see how great it feels to energize off of starches, vegetables, fruit, nuts and grains.

Thank you so much for all the examples and advice. I know what to use in my meal planning. :) I do with I had a Campbell and McDougall in my pocket so I can turn to them for advice. They seemed so knowledgeable in the movie forks over knifes, just with they would have talked more about the specifics of the diet!
  • jzombee
    Options
    Unless you have intestines of steel, a high-fiber diet could be deadly. I developed an intestinal blockage at age 33 and the doctors predicted I'd be dead within 10 days because I refused surgery and signed myself out of the hospital against medical advice. I was in tremendous pain for about a couple of weeks. It was macadamia nuts that nearly killed me. I normally do not even eat nuts but my boss and his wife brought them back to everyone from Hawaii, and so I ate them even though I dislike nuts. I suffered bouts of cruel intestinal cramping/diarrhea in my 30s and I figured out to limit nuts, seeds, whols grains. fruit, vegetable skins. peas, corn, lentils, beans. Until I figured out fiber was causing the pains, I,'d have pain for 3 days, starting in my ribs and working its way down my digestive system; I had to lie in bed for 3 days every time. And, I also knew someone else who was suffering severe abdominal cramping attacks, and after she took my advice and steered clear of high fiber, she suffered no more!

I understand that every bodies body is different and I appreciate your advice. I will keep in mind the symptoms you had and I am trying to track what makes my stomach hurt. I am going to give myself a month to see if my body goes back to functioning without the pains at it may very well be the transition. Thanks again for your advice.