Pre-Op Liquid Diet

Options
Hi all,

Like others, I've been lurking for awhile but have finally decide to post. I stared my 9-day liquid diet today in preparation for my surgery, which is scheduled for next Tuesday. I'm full of nerves, but just trying to take it one day - heck, one "meal" at a time. Already starving, which makes me really glad I've already cleaned out my cabinets and fridge of all the "bad things" I had.

Any words of wisdom to get through this period? I heard it was the worst part and I'm on HMR shakes. The vanilla was horrible and the chocolate okay. Only day one and I'm having a problem choking them down so any advice would be much appreciated!!

Replies

• ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am on my last day of a full liquid diet. I go to clear liquids tomorrow with surgery on Tuesday. The first few days were the hardest - I felt weak, had headaches, and was really hungry. My advice is to try to mix things up as much as possible, within the guidelines that your doctor gave you. So, I'll add a scoop of protein powder to my coffee for breakfast, have a pre-packaged shake for lunch, have protein-infused chicken broth for dinner. I'll add another pre-packaged protein drink to a small container and put it in the freezer, shaking it up every hour or so until it is slushy and then I eat it with a spoon for dessert. Don't freeze it all the way - it will turn into a giant ice cube. If I feel like I want to EAT, I have a sugar-free jello. If I want a snack, I'll have a sugar free popsicle. There are still some times that I really want food, especially when I am making my children's meals, but I just remind myself that this is short term. And then I have a jello or popsicle to get my through.

It really does get easier after the first few days. Now, I am struggling to get enough calories in (because I'm not hungry and because I'd rather not eat than have another protein shake.)

Hang in there!!
  • Scooby112
    Scooby112 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks, Heather! Good luck on your surgery! :)
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I had two weeks of the liquid diet beforehand. We'll almost liquid....we were allowed one of the programs bars each day. Had to do the Medifast program.

I found the shakes tasted much better when super cold. Not frozen, but close. I'd keep them in the fridge and then stick them in the freezer for about 10 before I'd drink one. There was also a chicken soup on the plan as well. I actually liked those!

Anyway, yes, I was hungry for the first 3 days or so, then adjusted. The way I saw it, it was only two weeks. If I couldn't do it for two weeks, then I shouldn't be having a life altering surgery. I think the fear helped too. If you cheat on the liquid diet, you run the risk of having the surgery canceled when you go into the hospital. Personally, I DID NOT want to do another two weeks of it by cheating. So I made damn sure I didn't cheat on it.
  • Mkplvr1
    Mkplvr1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm scheduled for the sleeve on Aug.9th and am beginning to FREAK OUT... I don't know why all the sudden I feel so much anxiety because I've wanted to do this for years. The last few days I've been eating all my favorite foods and feel bloated and crappy. I start my pre-op diet Wednesday which is a shake (like slim fast) for breakfast and lunch and 3 oz. lean protein with vegetables for dinner, that shouldn't be too terrible. I think my problem is I don't feel prepared for post surgery when it comes to the vitamins and protein shakes. Right now I just take a regular multivitamin and that needs to change to a liquid or chewable along with a vitamin D. I have a few questions for anyone that can guide me in the right direction.

*As far as vitamins are concerned is there a brand that you can recommend that I can just purchase online?

*My biggest stress is the post op protein shakes that I hear so much about. I have a serious gag reflex and am concerned about the taste and consistency of these due to all the stories I've read. Is there one brand/flavor that is better than the other.

* As far as my necessities post surgery I have purchased the GasX dissolvable strips but some people have mentioned other things like milk of magnesium and Mylanta. What was in your bag of tricks?

I would greatly appreciate any help or advice you can give me.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    First, the higher the protein, liquid diet or when you are back to food, the less hungry you will be. So, follow your doctor's guidlines and get in as much protein as they allow. Second, I found while on the liquid portion, pre surgery, between the shakes, protein infused chicken/beef broth AND all the water, I really wasn't hungry. For me it was the combination of protein and all that water. I never was one to drink a lot, and the water was, and frankly, still is a challenge for me.

Second, I found after surgery, the protein shakes were way too thick and sweet for me. I am more of a savory person, so I did much better once I got home with the protein infused chicken/beef broth. I wish I had thought to tell my doctor this, because I spent an extra night in the hospital only because I couldn't get the shakes down. If this is you, talk to your doctor before surgery about making sure you can get something besides the creamy, thick shakes. The other thing to remember is that Isopure Zero has 40 grams of protein per bottle AND is flavored water! Great source of protein and counts towards your water, also not thick/creamy like the shakes.

Hope you all do great with your surgery! This journey isn't too hard, but it's not east either. But I can honestly say that my sleeve is the best thing I have ever done for myself!

Pat
  • Mkplvr1
    Mkplvr1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you for the great advice. What is protein infused broth?
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the great advice. What is protein infused broth?

It's a product I got from my surgeon's office. Honestly I also used fat free chicken and beef broth you can get at the grocery store and added unflavored protein powder I also got at my doctor's office, made by Syntrax. Not as much protein per cup, but better than the broth alone. Ask your doctor's office, I bet they have something similar.
  • mpweathe
    mpweathe Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The premixed shakes were too sweet for me. I put the unflavored Syntax protein powder in chicken broth and I also mixed it with sugar free chocolate pudding
  • ericadouglas0412
    Options
    protein shakes vary a lot, it may take some trial and error before you find one that works for you. my doctor said I was ok to use whey protein, and all the bodybuilding guys at work directed me to cellucor - the peanut butter marshmallow flavor tastes like reece's cups, and the cinnamon swirl tastes like cinnamon toast crunch.
    don't forget you can also always use sugar free calorie free sweeteners, aside from mio/crystal light stuff, you can also use syrups that you can find in the coffee aisle (I have some sugar free vanilla from starbucks and it is awesome)
    milk of magnesia is def. good to have on hand, I was also able to have diet jello around for when I wanted to feel like I was chewing something during the liquid only stage.
  • Victoria5639
    Victoria5639 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I also found broth helped me the most. The warmth kept me from being hungry. After surgery anything sweet made me nausea . I had bought sugar free jello and all kinds of sweet tasting protein shakes. They went to waste. So don't buy a lot of any one thing. Your taste will change.