Strategies for not binge-eating? (long post)

Options
otterleee
otterleee Posts: 6 Member
Hey everyone. I'm brand new to the group but I like what I've seen so far! You all seem so supportive and that is a really great thing to see!

I was wondering if anyone has any kind of personal strategy to keep from binge-eating. I think I've pretty much been a binge-eater all my life, even as a kid, and I've noticed that at least for me, there are patterns. I've found that the longer I wait between meals, the more food I want to eat at the next meal. The worst days are when I accidentally can't eat during work, so I go almost 10 hours with no food. Guess where my next stop is after that? Straight to the fast food joint around the corner, and I always end up with WAY more food than I should. Another pattern I have noticed is that when I am by myself, I tend to binge more because there is no one else around to see and judge me. That's when I devour entire pizzas, or eat a whole loaf of pound cake, or an entire bag of chips. I know it hurts me in so many ways, but once the craving is in my head, sometimes I just can't get away from it.

I've heard that the best way to change a habit is to change other stuff in your life first. If you make good choices around the habit, then eventually you'll start to make better choices about the habit. So I make myself concentrate on eating small meals more frequently instead of thinking about trying not to binge, and so far that has worked really well for me. I don't want to eat too much for breakfast when there is the promise of a delicious lunch waiting in a couple of hours. I don't want to fill up on lunch because I know that we will be having something awesome for dinner.

I still go through periods where my brain wants as much food as I can fit in my mouth, but I'm down to the point where I can only "binge" on like three pieces of pizza instead of the whole box because I get full too quickly. Mostly I think I've just tricked my brain into thinking about eating more meals instead of thinking about eating more food in one sitting. MyFitnessPal has also been a really amazing tool to have, because it helps me plan out how much I'm allowed to have at each meal. By planning out how many calories I'm allowed to "spend" on my meals, I make sure that I don't go over my goals each day. I also have become somewhat of a cheapskate about my calories, because I feel cheated when I eat something that's really delicious, but not delicious enough to be worth the amount of calories I had to use on it. Like with money, I don't like when my food is too calorie-expensive!

So what strategies have you found that help? Do you have any advice for coping with binge-eating?

Thanks for being such an awesome group of people!!! :smile:

Replies

• mixedbag4444
    mixedbag4444 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I find that if I limit myself from eating the foods I love, I binge. If I really want to eat some cookies (which happens... quite frequently), I find a way to burn them off by doing some exercise. It gets me off my butt and distracted too
  • greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    Options
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I'm partial to distraction and self nurture. I'll entertain myself with a trivia game on my phone or something else that keeps my mind working for 20 minutes while the craving goes away. I used to try shows and movies, but they're just mindless enough that they don't help too much.

I also like to take some time to pamper myself and make myself feel good. I'll do my hair differently, I'll take extra time and do my makeup, I'll do my nails, I'll give myself a Morrocan bath where I exfoliate like crazy, or I'll partake in a 5 step skincare process that while ridiculously time consuming, will keep me from binging for quite a while. There's a million and half ways to make yourself feel good. None of those involve binging. So instead of really punishing my body with a binge, for the promise of a few moments satisfaction... I do the opposite. I devote time to making sure that I'm treating myself the way I deserve to be treated. By the end, I'm too appreciative and feeling too refreshed and lovely to binge.
  • otterleee
    otterleee Posts: 6 Member
    Options

What a great read! Thank you for sharing!
    I'm partial to distraction and self nurture. I'll entertain myself with a trivia game on my phone or something else that keeps my mind working for 20 minutes while the craving goes away. I used to try shows and movies, but they're just mindless enough that they don't help too much.

I also like to take some time to pamper myself and make myself feel good. I'll do my hair differently, I'll take extra time and do my makeup, I'll do my nails, I'll give myself a Morrocan bath where I exfoliate like crazy, or I'll partake in a 5 step skincare process that while ridiculously time consuming, will keep me from binging for quite a while. There's a million and half ways to make yourself feel good. None of those involve binging. So instead of really punishing my body with a binge, for the promise of a few moments satisfaction... I do the opposite. I devote time to making sure that I'm treating myself the way I deserve to be treated. By the end, I'm too appreciative and feeling too refreshed and lovely to binge.

This is probably some of the best advice I've ever seen. It's a completely positive and self-loving kind of way to deal with something that is very self-destructive, and I tip my hat to you. Sounds like a great mindset to adopt, and I'm going to start thinking of ways that I can bring the same mindset into my life! Thank you!