9 Months Out- Calorie Counting

Options
Rindabu
Rindabu Posts: 33 Member
Nine months out and consuming about 600-800 cal a day. I am physically active 30-50 min a day 6 days a week. My dietician says that i need to eat more to sustain myself, but i'm nervous that if I eat more i might start to gain weight back. Still, i'm pretty convinced that eating so little is why I am tired all the time.

How many calories did you eat at 9 months and how did it affect your progress?

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am nine months out from VSG. I do about 60 minutes of cardio 5-6 times a week, and I eat about 800-900 calories. I am still losing about 2-3 lbs a week on average.
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I looked at my diary and at 9 months out I was eating 900-1000 calories a day.
  • Rindabu
    Options
    I don't think I could continue to lose 2-3 lbs a week. I'm only 15 lbs from my ideal body weight. I wouldn't mind a pound a week. I just feel so tired and hungry but I can only fit so much in my pouch at once. :(
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    im 6 months out and my doctor recommends i eat 800 - 1000 calories a day
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could continue to lose 2-3 lbs a week. I'm only 15 lbs from my ideal body weight. I wouldn't mind a pound a week. I just feel so tired and hungry but I can only fit so much in my pouch at once. :(

How many times a day do you eat? I generally have to eat small amounts 5 times a day, I still can't eat a whole lot at once! Congrats on being so close to your ideal weight - that's an amazing accomplishment, you must feel great!
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Wow, first congratulations on that loss to a fellow NM resident! But that is a concern if you are hungry and weak all the time. If you are only eating 600 - 800 calories it sounds to me like you need to start adding in more calorie dense foods. How many fats do you have in your diet? Avocado, olive oil, and safflower oil are all pretty healthy. How about salmon for a fatty but healthy fish? If you are buying fat free items, stop, or cut back, slowly at first until your calories get up to a level your nutritionist and doctor feel you should be at to start learning the maintenance process.

I agree with Dale (garber6th) several small meals a day of between 200 and 300 calories are what I shoot for. While I'm trying for the 200, I often end up at the 300.

If you need ideas for recipes and meals, check out a blog site called "TheWorldAccordingtoEggface" She had RNY years ago and has some very good recipes for various stages after surgery.

There are some other RNY folks on here, I'm a sleeve patient so while there are similarities, someone who has reached maintenance with RNY would probably be better suited to answer your questions.

Good luck, and again Congratulations!
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    9 months out I was eating something 1800 calories a day, and burning about 2000 calories from exercise each week. I was still losing at that point.

I think you should be able to bump up your calories without much issue, but, again it's all dependent on your body type. I'm a 5'9 male, so a 5'2 female wouldn't have the same requirements.

Maybe try bumping it up in increments. Shoot for 1000 for two weeks and see what happens? Many times stalls are brought on by not eating enough. Many dieters subscribe to the notion of a "Cheat meal" or "cheat day" That's provide enough extra energy to keep the body from going into starvation mode. Maybe I have a ridiculously large pouch or something, but I can easily pack 1000 calories into it if I tried. I'm currently 22 months post-op, however I've been eating much the same since about 9 or 10 months post-op.
  • tabatham1982
    tabatham1982 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am 9 months out from my RNY and my doctor said to go to 1350 calories a day. I do break it up between 5 small meals a day with 250 calories a meal give or take but sometimes I just have the standard Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and a Protein shake, but that tends to be on days when I am working at the hospital so I know I am burning a ton of calories!
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I am 9.5 months out and according to my surgeons plan have been eating 800-1000 calories per day since 6 months out. I almost always eat near 1000 calories. If your nutritionist is telling you to eat more, and your tired all the time maybe it's time to up your calories. You're so close to your goal that bumping up your calories a bit at a time will prepare you for maintenance.

I certainly don't lose 2-3 pounds per week anymore, but I do steadily lose. I would not feel satisfied on 600-800 calories personally and once I upped my calorie intake to 800+ at 6 month out I gained a TON of energy. Before that I was tired all the time, too. Over the last three months I've increased it closer to 1000 because that made me feel even better. I do have to eat 5-6 small meals per day to reach my goal, but I've had to have that many meals since the beginning when I could barely choke down 300-400.

It was more about increasing the calories that I eat vs the volume of food I am eating. I can still only eat 1.5 oz of dense protein on average, for example, but will some roasted veggies with a little extra olive oil to add the calories I need.

Anyway, your surgeon and his team (the nut) knows what they are talking about, I hope anyway (I trust my team completely) and I follow their plan. I'm sure once you feel an increase in energy you'll be glad you complied.
  • vsg_joanna
    vsg_joanna Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm about 4 months out now and I usually try to eat between 850-1000 calories. Part of my daily commute includes walking at least two miles and I do a lot of cardio on top of that including training for a 10k. I know some of you say that you eat 600-800 calories and workout and feel fine, but I definitely don't! Which makes me think this varies person to person quite a bit. I am losing an average of 3lbs a week.

What's bizarre is that on the weekend, I usually go out drinking with friends and then we eat greasy carby foods and I find my weight is usually down a few pounds the next day. I thought it was water weight at first, but then it kept happening... maybe it's my metabolism being kickstarted after eating low calorie/ low carb during the week? I get the feeling there is some truth in having one day a week where you up your calories a bit boosts your metabolism.
  • Rindabu
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice. I upped my calories for the last four days. Not only am I less tired, but my scale moved for the first time in three weeks. I guess I just got too used to eating super small amounts that I didn't even realize that I was practically starving myself. Lol

and a special thanks to dward59 for suggesting "TheWorldAccordingtoEggFace." The recipes are awesome. :D
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    and a special thanks to dward59 for suggesting "TheWorldAccordingtoEggFace." The recipes are awesome. :D

Don't forget Bariatric Foodie, or Melting Mama!

Also, not bariatric in nature, but we use Skinnytaste and IowaGirlEats almost every week!
  • Rindabu
    Options

Don't forget Bariatric Foodie, or Melting Mama!

Also, not bariatric in nature, but we use Skinnytaste and IowaGirlEats almost every week!

How have I never heard of this? I have enough recipes to keep me busy for the next month. lol