July Chat

Options
12346»

Replies

• gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    smilesback--getting started is the hardest and staying focused for long periods of time is even harder--at least for me. You sound dedicated to doing this, so good for you. I'm not a TV watcher, but I am a reader which means sitting and trying not to snack for more hours than I should.

I've had another good day today where I burned, what I think is a lot of calories--340. That means I get to eat more calories, but I know I won't eat nearly the 340, but I will make it to my goal of 1200. So, this last week has shown me that I can stick to a program as long as I enjoy it.
  • ustillcan
    ustillcan Posts: 45
    Options
    thank goodness i didn't know it was half price cheesecake til after i was tucked in for the evening!!

Wooken- sounds like an excellent splurge day and that will give you enough satisfaction to get you through several days of good behavior ~
  • Pixydin
    Pixydin Posts: 14
    Options
    I've been walking early am mostly in July. We enjoy FL in the winter summertime Fl off and on. I just try to keep on walking because it's what I can do the best to avoid injury. Thanks for all the encouragement I have received!!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Really glad that I don't like cheesecake! Well, maybe if it is male, 30 and buff (like some at the gym). Looking has no calories and keeps me walking the track around and around and around -- oops got dizzy there for a second. Okay, now you all know my real motivation for all those miles!

I get really worried about how hard it will be when I get closer to goal. At 174 pounds, I only burn 54 calories an hour if idle. That is only 1296 calories a day! It is recommended to eat at least 1200. So that means that me, still obese, eating 1200 calories a day without exercise/movement I would only lose 1 pound in 36 days. Exercise is essential.

When I am ten pounds from my goal, I will only have a BMR of 1034 calories a day. Even with exercise, it will be tough to maintain much of a deficit to lose. Heck, without exercise every day, it will be tough even to maintain! I'll gain if I eat the recommended 1200 calories a day for all women without a lot of exercise. Also remember we won't burn as many calories exercising either. (My daughter and I can walk together now. What is a burn of like 200 calories for me is only 90 for her!)

That is why I appreciate the support from those who have been there. We who have a lot to lose think it is so hard and overwhelming, yet, I know that those who really have it the hardest are those just trying to lose those last pounds or even trying to maintain the loss when there are days you just would like to have that one splurge or curl up and read all day! One day splurge then will be a lot more detrimental than it is for me now!

My hat off to all of you who have been successful and spend so much time encouraging us. :flowerforyou:
  • ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I get really worried about how hard it will be when I get closer to goal. At 174 pounds, I only burn 54 calories an hour if idle. That is only 1296 calories a day! It is recommended to eat at least 1200. So that means that me, still obese, eating 1200 calories a day without exercise/movement I would only lose 1 pound in 36 days. Exercise is essential.

When I am ten pounds from my goal, I will only have a BMR of 1034 calories a day. Even with exercise, it will be tough to maintain much of a deficit to lose. Heck, without exercise every day, it will be tough even to maintain! I'll gain if I eat the recommended 1200 calories a day for all women without a lot of exercise. Also remember we won't burn as many calories exercising either. (My daughter and I can walk together now. What is a burn of like 200 calories for me is only 90 for her!)

That is why I appreciate the support from those who have been there. We who have a lot to lose think it is so hard and overwhelming, yet, I know that those who really have it the hardest are those just trying to lose those last pounds or even trying to maintain the loss when there are days you just would like to have that one splurge or curl up and read all day! One day splurge then will be a lot more detrimental than it is for me now!

My hat off to all of you who have been successful and spend so much time encouraging us. :flowerforyou:

Charlie, this post hit me where it hurts. My favorite 'hobbies' are sitting and reading, sitting at the computer, sitting and watching a tv show.... (notice a common theme there?). On inactive days, my Fitbit tells me I've burned 1600-1800 calories, so to lose 2 pounds a week I can only eat 600-800 calories a day - and that's when I'm still 50+ pounds overweight! So the only options I have is to be more active or not eat much; I alternate between the two much of the time. I'm still six months away from the maintaining concern, but even now struggle with the losing weight numbers. This is about a lifestyle change, but I know me - I'm not going to drive an hour both ways to the gym. I do love to swim, but that's only 'good' for about 6 months a year, and my ankle does NOT love the kicking part (my arms get a decent workout LOL). I'm still struggling to find the balance that will work for me.

I fear that just as it has been, it will continue to be a lifelong 'battle', and we'll just have to prevail.

Happy happy, joy joy!
    -Marilyn (ker)
  • bvifun
    bvifun Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I fear that just as it has been, it will continue to be a lifelong 'battle', and we'll just have to prevail.

Marilyn. This was our lunch time discussion yesterday. So now I do not envy you petite woman. Remember Charlie those BMR numbers apply if you sleep all day and do not move so I hope it will not get to be so dire for you when the time comes.

Yesterday I had a fabulous day. I have 3 friends and we get together 4 times a year for birthday lunches. It was my turn and they took me to a small island with a nice restaurant only an 8 minute ferry ride away. I was going to go all out and have a hamburger but when my friend went in to place the orders (the rest of us lazed on the beach) she ordered me chicken instead - she has probably never seen me eat a hamburger!922153ipusfy0v71.gifSo I stayed in my calorie limit.

Today I got the best birthday gift possible - my DH returned home safely after a business trip. I am now officially 64 but don't feel any different than ...oh...40...50...60? The mirror tells another story though. We are going out for dinner at our favourite restaurant tonight.

We just got permission to take our sick dog with us to the hotel on Anegada this weekend so now we just need to ask Mother Nature to spare us from a hurricane.

Wanda
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Wanda,

I do realize that about the BMR, but, believe me, sitting and reading doesn't make much difference over the greater scheme of things. At 115 pounds I'll burn 47 calories an hour sleeping and 52 calories an hour watching TV or reading. So even then it isn't a huge difference. None of this is exact, but I just wanted to show that the lower your weight, once near goal, you don't have a lot of wiggle room! You just can't eat low enough to have a deficit that allows for a 2 pound a week loss.

That is why I admire you and all the others who stick with this and still offer so much support. I think most of us when we start think it is going to be so hard and we get so discouraged when we don't see a 2 pound loss a week. I time will come when we will be lucky to see a 1 pound loss a month. We have to commit to this lifestyle as Ker pointed out, because it really doesn't get easier. We still have to count our calories, maintain a proper balance between activity and calories, and be very active!

I hope you have a wonderful birthday and if the mirror shows what we see in your pics, you are beautiful and vibrant! Hope you have a safe getaway! :happy:

Charlie
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I only ate once at The Cheesecake Factory...not Beefcake lol..........on a trip to Albany........it was delicious and your treat today sounds wonderful!

I have had a great last day of July........ my morning walk, afternoon run and evening Hula Hooping!

Doing that wonderful thing we all seem to love now....Sitting! Reading! Laptopping! Watching TV! :bigsmile:

Enjoy the rest of the month/evening and see you all in August!

Jean
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Okay, Ladies, you have all reached the same conclusion I reached many years ago--and that is that we need to log every day and exercise almost every day for the rest of our lives. I don't see exercise as a drawback as long as it is something I enjoy which is why I have to continuously find exercises to do that are fun because otherwise I won't exercise. I have known since I quit WW that I would have to log my food every day for the rest of my life. When I stopped logging I put on 18 pounds! I lost most of that weight within a year of joining MFP. I have been here now 717 days and will probably be here forever. I have several good friends here and I love the chat groups and discussions in my age group.

It does seem daunting that we will be on this journey forever, but isn't being healthy the best reason to take this journey? I know it is for me. There is longevity on both sides of my family and if I'm going to live a long life, I want to be able to keep up my activities (such as they are) and keep striving for a healthy lifestyle. I do admit that I don't give 100% to this effort, but I do keep trying and I think everyone here is doing the same thing.

That's my two cents worth for this month. See you all in August.
  • Wooken3
    Wooken3 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    6.gif6.gif7.gifDAYS I've been with MFP since October 2012 and had lost 52 pounds by November 2013. After having my Doc tell me, "Do not lose any more weight" I though I was home free.

Wrong!!hungry_smiley.gifBy February of 2013 I had gain back ~11 pounds even while biking 350+ miles a month. You just can't out exercise your fork!!

boat.gifIt is so easy to float down the river of denial. The logging-in of food and exercise (almost) daily on MFP keeps my awareness level up. Plus "Check in Wed" and my wonderful Pals supply the peer pressure needed to stay on track.

stumble.gif Like Gramanana said, "...we will be on this journey forever" and that's not a bad thing! ~w3