fitness monitors

Options
jafray4
jafray4 Posts: 118 Member
Wondering if anyone uses a fitbit or something like it? I really want to get one but don't want to spend the money and not use it.

Replies

• RheneeB
    RheneeB Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Great question...I have been wanting one too but read that they don't really do well measuring stuff unless you are doing stuff like running, rowing, cycling. I am doing a program that combines weights with cardio and there isn't really a good way on MFP to really calculate how many calories I am burning. I have been looking at the Polar FT7.
  • lmgnz
    lmgnz Posts: 7
    Options
    I've been using a FitBit Flex for about 5 months now and I really like it. It syncs nicely with MFP, although there's some difference in the calorie counting/calculation between the two. Apart from tracking steps, you can also add other exercises and I've found the number of calories burned is pretty close to what other apps and a heart-rate monitor have calculated. I've also added some exercises (from Daily Burn) to MFP and the FitBit app on my phone appears to have sucked them in for tracking as well.

I was wary of fitness bands at first as I've heard they're not especially accurate but it's ended up being a pretty good motivator. You get a feel for your 'normal' amount of activity, calories in vs out etc and it becomes a bit of an obsession to outdo yourself. :-)
  • casarow
    casarow Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Don't know much about FITBIT.. You can't go wrong with a heart rate monitor .. Keeps you in your ZONE !! I have Suunto !
  • AlwaysSunshine
    AlwaysSunshine Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been interested in trying the FitBit, too! I used to have a BodyMedia device (just like the ones you see the contestants wear on The Biggest Loser), but the only thing I didn't like about it is I would do a 45-minute spin class, and it wouldn't calculate the calories right. I guess because I wore it on my upper arm and you don't swing your arms while cycling? I would get home and sync it and it would say I only burned 75 calories!!! There was NO WAY that was right....I would leave that class drenched in sweat and my legs on fire!! That being said, it was great for running/walking/kickboxing, or any other exercises I would do regularly.
  • jafray4
    jafray4 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I think they all have pros and cons. I want to get one that monitors my sleep as well because I was having issues but have noticed that they are better as I lost a few lbs. I am debating between the Fitbit, and Misfit shine. I'm worried about the Fitbit fitting me on my wrist. I am at the top of the sizing (I have a big wrist).

But I think that it would motivate me like Imgnz said. Maybe I would take the stairs instead of the elevator or a walk during my coffee break? I don't have a good workout routine I am really finding it hard to fit in to my schedule.
  • lmgnz
    lmgnz Posts: 7
    Options
    jafray4 - I've been using the sleep monitor on my FitBit and it was a little scary to see how restless I was at night. I recently got a new bed and am sleeping much better and my FitBit has noticed. You get 2 bands with the FitBit. I can't find my tape measure or a ruler but the large one is roughly 1/3 the length of my iPhone charger. Plus I think they stretch a little after you've been wearing it for a few weeks.

I've also set a few alarms on it to remind me to get away from my desk and go for a walk on my breaks. I have a friend who uses the Nike fitness band and he's really pleased with his. It has a more features than the FitBit does and he says it's fairly accurate.