How Many Daily Carbs Do You Eat?

Options

Replies

• bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Reading this makes me realize how high my carbs are, I'm usually eating between 40 and 150 a day!

Different people can eat different amounts of carbohydrates. Some folks can eat many more carbs than others and still lose weight. This principle is explained and driven home when you do the 4 steps in the Atkins plan.

I've done it before and lost 45 lbs in 5 months. I felt fantastic, but I was dumb and let myself regain. I am kicking myself in the butt everyday for doing so, because this time around, it's been much slower and harder to lose weight. I have to make a permanent lifestyle change, or I'm bound to be an insulin dependent diabetic.

I found out during my 4 phases of Atkins that I have extreme sensitivity to carbs, even slow digesting, low GI carbs. My maintenance carbs were under 40 g net carbs per day. Many, many folks can lose like gangbusters on this low level of carbs. I don't lose at all with that many, and will stay the same weight. Go over it and I will gain very quickly.

This 28 lbs that I regained, I gained between Christmas of 2013, and May 31, 2014. I was exercising and eating healthy, just too many carbs.

I say, if you can stay at a healthy weight on 40-150 carbs a day, you are very, and enjoy it!

I agree. I lost 50 pounds counting calories and keeping my carbs under 150 a day. I was really hopeful that lowering my carbs to around 20 a day would really jump start my weight loss again but it hasn't. I've lost about 2 pounds in the last 10 days. That's not the big loss I was expecting and I'm not even sure I can attribute it to the lowered carbs or just the lowered calories. I think I'm going to work my way back up to a more enjoyable number of carbs, under 100, and not stress so much about whether I can have a salad with dinner or add some onions to my stir fry.
  • kkmulholland2
    kkmulholland2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My goal is 65g net carbs but I find that I can still lose on up to 85g net. More than that and loss comes to a halt. Oh, also MUST get in 64oz fluids too and watch sodium! Just getting back to LC now after a months-long carb bender... feeling awful!
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    My daily goal is under 40g. Generally is go below 25g I don't feel so hot.
  • nick1109
    nick1109 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Reading this makes me realize how high my carbs are, I'm usually eating between 40 and 150 a day!

Different people can eat different amounts of carbohydrates. Some folks can eat many more carbs than others and still lose weight. This principle is explained and driven home when you do the 4 steps in the Atkins plan.

I've done it before and lost 45 lbs in 5 months. I felt fantastic, but I was dumb and let myself regain. I am kicking myself in the butt everyday for doing so, because this time around, it's been much slower and harder to lose weight. I have to make a permanent lifestyle change, or I'm bound to be an insulin dependent diabetic.

I found out during my 4 phases of Atkins that I have extreme sensitivity to carbs, even slow digesting, low GI carbs. My maintenance carbs were under 40 g net carbs per day. Many, many folks can lose like gangbusters on this low level of carbs. I don't lose at all with that many, and will stay the same weight. Go over it and I will gain very quickly.

This 28 lbs that I regained, I gained between Christmas of 2013, and May 31, 2014. I was exercising and eating healthy, just too many carbs.

I say, if you can stay at a healthy weight on 40-150 carbs a day, you are very, and enjoy it!

Interesting, Yes I remain 6 pack lean on up to 150g a day, even once I notice a little fat gain I can just remain strict (like less than 100g a day) for a few weeks and the fat drops off, guess I'm lucky
  • nick1109
    Options

I agree. I lost 50 pounds counting calories and keeping my carbs under 150 a day. I was really hopeful that lowering my carbs to around 20 a day would really jump start my weight loss again but it hasn't. I've lost about 2 pounds in the last 10 days. That's not the big loss I was expecting and I'm not even sure I can attribute it to the lowered carbs or just the lowered calories. I think I'm going to work my way back up to a more enjoyable number of carbs, under 100, and not stress so much about whether I can have a salad with dinner or add some onions to my stir fry.

I think thats it, a consistent steady appraoch that is maintainable long term obviously works better than staying say under 20g then falling off the wagon. Needs to be maintainable and for me eating between 50g and 150g a day is easy as pie (no eating of pie though!)
  • costelloscountryshed
    Options
    I am trying to stay under 50 g a day. I am finding it hard because I am getting bored with what I am eating. If anyone wants to add me , feel free. I would love to peak at your food journals for some ideas. I have 60 pounds to go so I could use the help.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options

Interesting, Yes I remain 6 pack lean on up to 150g a day, even once I notice a little fat gain I can just remain strict (like less than 100g a day) for a few weeks and the fat drops off, guess I'm lucky

Yes, you are lucky to have a body that uses the preferred fuel (glycogen) efficiently. I do have insulin resistance and some other health issues related to hormones. It's a struggle, but it is doable, as I've proven before. I just have to stay vigilant at counting (not just carbs, but calories as well). I can't eat over my calories or let in the carb creep, no matter how much vigorous cardio or strength training I participate in, I will gain.

I say do what works for you (and that goes for everyone) because I'm 100% positive that the same WOE doesn't work for everyone's goals, and since not everyone on MFP has the same goals or enjoys the same physical activities, or has the same degree of health, results are going to vary.
  • nick1109
    Options

Yes, you are lucky to have a body that uses the preferred fuel (glycogen) efficiently. I do have insulin resistance and some other health issues related to hormones. It's a struggle, but it is doable, as I've proven before. I just have to stay vigilant at counting (not just carbs, but calories as well). I can't eat over my calories or let in the carb creep, no matter how much vigorous cardio or strength training I participate in, I will gain.

I say do what works for you (and that goes for everyone) because I'm 100% positive that the same WOE doesn't work for everyone's goals, and since not everyone on MFP has the same goals or enjoys the same physical activities, or has the same degree of health, results are going to vary.

Very true, I do swear by low carb though, it simply works. The amount any individual can eat varies depending on insulin resistance. The only physical activity I do is 2 very high intensity strength training sessions a week which last just 30 mins a time, and I do zero cardio which blows right in the face of conventional wisdom of “do cardio x days a week, eat low fat high carb diet, weight train 3 days a week for 2 hours a time”

People often ask me how I stay in the shape I’m in and actually don’t believe me when I tell them the above (including my Dr!)
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    18g total is my 5% goal, so I aim for that but don't beat myself up if I eat 20-23g total. I try to net as close to 10g as possible.
  • mary6468
    mary6468 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to keep my net carbs at 100g, but I've only restarted MFP in the past couple weeks so that will probably be adjusted depending on how my weight loss is going. I don't think I'm mentally ready to go under 50g yet, but who knows. Right now I'm just trying to keep most of the refined carbs out of my diet and I'm even limiting my fruit intake. I have increased my veggie intake as my neighbor has a huge garden and gives me a lot of vegetables to eat.
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I've been eating around 20 - 25 carbs for about a week now and testing my blood sugar to see what effect it's having. I don't have a blood sugar problem but I was probably borderline. The two readings I've taken have been 72 and 84 (fasting), which is great. But I don't see being able to stick with 20 grams a day for much longer and have raised my goal to 40. I'm just curious what everyone else's net carb target is?
    Bound4;

You have received some excellent advice on this thread (a rarity on many MFP boards when it comes to Low Carb, and why this one is so good, even if not as active as one might like).

Anyway, the 20 carb/day number is generally accepted as the "gateway" to achieving ketosis. 2-3 weeks, more for some, less for others, to obtain the keys to the kingdom.
    During this phase, it's pretty important to keep every day (not just the weekly average), at or under 20. For many, going over just one day requires a "restart" from day 1.

Some experience keto flu (usually goes away in a couple days), some a few other mild side effects.

Once in keto, most people are able to (gradually) increase the total daily carbs.
    How far?
    Who knows - only you can determine how high you can go and still remain in keto. 50 seems a common "goal" and while no actual documentation exists (at least AFAIK), anecdotal evidence seems to indicate that 50 is the break point for many.

Once in keto, a one day "cheat" (as long as it's not crazy) - usually won't require a total restart but maybe just a couple days reduced and you're back in. As always the "everybody's different" proviso applies.

I'm not a big fan of the Dr "A" plans and if I had my druthers his name would be banished from the lexicon but not for the reasons others might advocater. His plan, despite being based on some pretty solid science (unlike the lo fat/lo cal one so readily and blindly accepted) has become the "kleenex" of the Low Carb world and there are now so many more "versions" and so much more solid science that it's just plain wrong that so many know so few actual "facts" but prefer to rely on dogma and bias. Sadly, "many" of those many are Drs and other "health professionals" - although it's getting better.

The "problem" with it is the connotation the name has taken on over the years. "Fad Diet" is the most common one spouted (which it absolutely is not) and the result is that sheeple just blindly march like lemmings and dismiss LCHF out of hand.

Off the bandstand, my bride and I have recently switched from LCLF to HFLC after having done considerable research.

LCLF actually worked for us (for the weight loss part) - she reached her goal and is now at maintenance, I'm most of the way there but still have about 28 to go.

We're switching, not for weight loss reasons but rather for long term health ones.

She's not interested (at least not yet) in achieving keto and set her carb goal at 60-70/day since that's pretty close to where her numbers showed her on LCLF.

I'm going the whole nine yards and in the second week of <20/day shooting for keto.

From what I've seen, ours is a pretty typical situation, I "think" something significantly less than 50% of those using LCHF ever attempt keto while the majority, for whatever reasons, decide on a number somewhere between 50 and 100/day, or so.

The way I look at it, if you (or anyone) gets and stays, near 100, that's probably a 1000% improvement in their long term outlook.

For those that can achieve, and maintain keto, there's no question that there are numerous benefits obtained in addition to those experienced by the 100/dayers - BUT rather than a 1000% improvement it's probably more like an additional, incremental one of another 100% or so (all numbers for example only, grabbed out of mid air).

Nutshell......whoever said "it's a continuum" got it exactly right.
    Most start out at 4 or 500/day, or so and gradually adapt down to 100ish which is major, and many stay there.

The smaller group continues the journey, gets to 50 or so and then faces a decision to stick there or shoot the proverbial moon, take a stab at keto.

Some succeed, some don't.
    For those that do, and assuming that the preponderance of the scientific evidence to date proves correct long term, it could be the best decision they've made their entire lives.

For those that don't (maintain keto) but continue under 100 or so, it's ALSO likely the best decision they've ever made if the choices available to them are 100 or 500.

As to your Blood levels, you should see changes (improvements) over time although one number that might concern you (if you test for it or your doc does) is an elevation in LDL - it's not "really" an elevation in the "bad" part of LDL so don't be overly concerned. If you haven't already, look to current research (or post back if you need some links).

If keto is in your plan, now or in the future, I'd suggest you will probably be best off sticking pretty religiously to <20 at least until you've confirmed. There is a test strip for some (not all) of the common test kits that specifically measures keto. There is also a urine test called KetoStyx (sp?) but many report less than stellar results with it.

All comes down to what works for you and what you can sustain, long term. The weight loss part is, at least for me, just icing on the cake. (oooopps......probably not the best analogy, sorry)
  • deansdad101
    Options
    I'm trying to keep my net carbs at 100g, but I've only restarted MFP in the past couple weeks so that will probably be adjusted depending on how my weight loss is going. I don't think I'm mentally ready to go under 50g yet, but who knows. Right now I'm just trying to keep most of the refined carbs out of my diet and I'm even limiting my fruit intake. I have increased my veggie intake as my neighbor has a huge garden and gives me a lot of vegetables to eat.
    Mary;
    See my post below (or above or wherever it landed) for detail but I'd suggest doing it in "steps".
    You don't say where you started but if 100/day is a goal you feel obtainable it's great.

You find (probably) that if you take it one step at a time it really does get easier if you give your body time to adapt.
    Significant reductions in carbs and (to a lesser degree) protein, do actually cause physiological changes (beneficial ones) and it doesn't happen overnight.

Once you are comfortable with 100/day, (or even before if you can "handle it"), I start focusing on the overall percentages of all three (net carbs, fats, proteins).

Do you own reasearch so you understand the whole philosophy behind VLCHF) but not just Dr "A" (I'd suggest that you even avoid his plans altogether) and focus on the new "breed" of proponents

Shoot for something like 65% fats, 15% carbs, 20% protein but adjust them as needed along the way so it's something you can stick with.

Once you are in the groove, change the %'s and reduce carbs further a little at a time.

This is a "race' you "win", not by getting to the finish line first (most #'s/week lost), but rather by getting to the "real" finish line - LAST.
  • sungvars
    sungvars Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I try to stay in the 30-40 net carb range which allows me the occasional low carb fruit, which I miss terribly!
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    i have my macro set at 45g because i like veggies, but i've been all over the place lately. fortunately i just identified the culprits that have been sending me over and i can boot those to the curb.
  • sparacka
    sparacka Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I keep it under 40 grams / day (that's gross, not net. There's not a lot of open diaries in this thread, but some of those I peeked at have left me confused. Do some of you log certain foods as net carbs and other foods as gross? This seems counterintuitive to me). Most of these come from veggies (a few from nuts & seeds, a few from my daily indulgence of blackberries in my smoothie). I don't eat bananas, or rice, or French fries (I don't know how to fit them into my 40 g's a day), but I've been cooking more lately than I have in years. Shopping the outside of the market makes me feel so good about what I'm doing for my health. Feel free to send me a friend request if you want to peek at my diary.
  • nancytyc
    nancytyc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I follow the Low Carb High Fat lifestyle. I have been able to stop all my diabetes injections and have gone off all oral meds for diabetes. In the first time, for years and years, all I take now are supplements. What a life change for me.

I keep my carbs as close to 20 net as I can. I don't worry much about gross carbs, as most, if not all, of my carbs come from green leafy vegetables and avocados...with the small amounts of nuts, seeds, and fruit. As a diabetic, I still have to watch the fruit intake. Now, on occasion, I just simply have to have a little more carbs, so I indulge, but use my KetoStix to make sure that I stay in moderate Ketosis. Normally, I stay in heavy Ketosis (as dark as you can go on the test strip).

I bike, usually 16 - 20 miles a day at 14-16 mph. I try to do that five days a week. Even so, I still try to keep my carbs at net 20. There are so many yummy foods that you can eat for variety. I just had some mac & cheese (zero pasta, cream, cheddar cheese, boursin cheese, butter, garlic & cheese sausage, and baby bell mushrooms). I also use cream to make yummy soups with spinach, zucchini, mushrooms, and other healthy carbs. You can use eggplant for eggplant parmesan and add some grilled chicken.

I don't eat a lot of meat. I keep my protein a little on the low side (so no, LCHF is not a "meat fest" as some think). I have lot 47 pounds since May 1, 2014...but best of all, my health is the best it has ever been. I am getting lean and mean. I started three months ago in a size 24W-26W and can now fit in normal size 16-18 (no more shopping in the fat department....really very odd for me to wrap my mind around after being heavy for so many years).

In the end, I agree with some of the other posters. You have to DO YOUR RESEARCH.....do what works for YOU....stay consistent....and do something that you can do for the rest of your life (make it a lifestyle or you won't do it for long).

Good Luck!!
  • memelizzy
    memelizzy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Congratulation nancytyc! Your story is really inspiring.
  • memelizzy
    Options
    Very true, I do swear by low carb though, it simply works. The amount any individual can eat varies depending on insulin resistance. The only physical activity I do is 2 very high intensity strength training sessions a week which last just 30 mins a time, and I do zero cardio which blows right in the face of conventional wisdom of “do cardio x days a week, eat low fat high carb diet, weight train 3 days a week for 2 hours a time”

People often ask me how I stay in the shape I’m in and actually don’t believe me when I tell them the above (including my Dr!)
    [/quote]

Nick1109, so glad you said this! For me right now, a little strength exercise is good.
  • memelizzy
    Options
    Sorry, I don't know how to do the quote box thing!
  • deansdad101
    Options
    I follow the Low Carb High Fat lifestyle. I have been able to stop all my diabetes injections and have gone off all oral meds for diabetes. In the first time, for years and years, all I take now are supplements. What a life change for me.

(snipped)

In the end, I agree with some of the other posters. You have to DO YOUR RESEARCH.....do what works for YOU....stay consistent....and do something that you can do for the rest of your life (make it a lifestyle or you won't do it for long).

Good Luck!!
    Nancy;

Although anecdotal, (which doesn't necessarily mean it's not valid), your "results" are not only spectacular for you, but also lend credence to the results obtained by many other T2D's and Pre-DM's (even those in tightly "controlled" research projects).

Does this "prove" that LCHF diets will produce similar results for all T2D's, all people in general, or even those in the very beginning phases of T2D just trying to head off its progression?

Of course not.

But it DOES "prove" that, for YOU it "works" and your experience demonstrates that it just might "work" for many others as well.

As you indicated, regardless of the reasons that folks may be considering LCHF, it is imperative that they first do their "OWN RESEARCH", understand WHY such plans have been so successful for so many, and decide for themselves IF it's "right" for them.

Those wont to trot out all the (unfounded) "fad diet", "he's (insert perceived villain of the day) a *quack, a fraud*)", or "it's all about lifting barbells" do the rest of the community a MAJOR disservice with their incessant proclamations and dogma.

Whatever positive and helpful "advice" may exist in their diatribes gets lost in the ideology.

I've yet to meet one person who benefited, either by losing weight, reducing their obesity risk factors, or achieving the results you have after having been intimidated, brow-beaten, or ridiculed into doing so.

One would hope that at some point they'd smarten up to the point of at least recognizing the futility of their efforts.

Unfortunately, ideologues seldom do.