August Chat

Options
Fig_1946
Fig_1946 Posts: 98 Member
Hello. I thought I'd kick it off...........

I may have mentioned that I wake up very early every morning (usually 2am). Well, today I got up at 1am. Crazy. I figured that while I was at it I might as well get something useful done, so I went down to the laundry room....and at that hour it's almost a given I'd have it to myself (tho' sometimes there's other residents up and around)...and did my laundry. Yay!! That dreaded task completed.

Any special plans for the month? I'm just going to take it as it comes, work at the zoo and visit the Art Gallery a few times.

Replies

• jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Hello August! :love:

Me too...just go with the flow this month........ too many trips away to worry about keeping to the plan.....starting tomorrow when we head off up to Scotland for 5 days ........:smile:

Jean
  • Wooken3
    Wooken3 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    0002264390110_100X100.jpg
    I am now the proud owner of a Gold's Gym Hand Bike I bought from the church thrift store.

Being unable to find an exercise video on YouTube, I searched the Web. And much to my surprise I found out it is now called "Kranking" -- jargon…gotta love it.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    August is never my favorite month. Usually too hot. Usually too dry. And I hate the sound of cicadas! That mournful rattle always feels so depressing. :frown:

But, August is the Irish Festival that starts tonight, but I'm not going until tomorrow and then again on Sunday in Dublin, Ohio. I'm leaving work early tomorrow to get there early. It is always a fun time and an event that the entire family enjoys. :drinker:

New play this month for the theater in the park. The Merry Wives of Windsor! Will wait for a beautiful weekend evening. A little wine, a little snack! A beautiful evening! What could be better?

My gym will close for 3 days for annual repairs this month. Will have to find alternatives. Hope it isn't too hot so I can walk outside.

Really tightening my belt this month to save for my vacation the first week in September. Since I had the getaway a couple weeks ago and a week with the family, I hadn't planned to take anymore this year. Consequently I hadn't planned or saved for this, but realized I was going to lose way too many frequent flyer miles, so I ended up not only spending miles on the flight, but to pay for most of the hotel, too. But I do want to have some fun, enjoy some upscale restaurants, etc. I will be packing breakfasts and lunches and not eating out too much. I am looking forward to the trip.

Also, I need to brush up on my French before I go. I'm not very good, but I did take classes a few years ago when I was unable to travel. Thought that learning French would be fun. Of course, I'm not going to France, and I don't know Quebecois, but it will help. I am not a natural when it comes to languages.

Wooken, have fun "pedaling" away.

Jean: I've always wanted to go to Scotland. Hope you have a great time. Nova Scotia is the best I've done! Maybe next UK trip.

Fig: Get some sleep! :yawn:

Hope everyone has a good month!
    Charlie
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Fig--what time do you go to sleep at night? I'm a pretty good sleeper myself although my husband isn't. Try to get some rest.

Wooken--that "krank" looks interesting, so good find. Have fun using it.

Charlie--It sounds like you have a wonderful vacation planned. I'm sure you'll do fine caloriewise. Your local Irish fest sounds good, too.

Jean--Enjoy your trip to Scotland.

My big event this month will be my 65th birthday. There will be about 10 of us at the party, so it's pretty small, but should be lots of fun. I've already reserved a place at my favorite restaurant for gluten free pizza and ordered my gluten free cake from a special bakery. I'm really looking forward to it. I'm really trying to watch my calories and get in lots of exercise in preparation for over eating at the end of the month. LOL

Hope everyone enjoys all their planned activities.
  • smilesback
    smilesback Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hey ho, starting a new month is invigorating isn't it? I wonder if anyone uses appetite suppressants? I investigated garcinia cambogia and am going to give it a try. I will let you know how it goes. It will be combined with regular 1240 calorie diet and daily exercise of 60 minutes, lots of water.
  • ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday early Gramanana!!! Hope you have a terrific time at the party!
    Fig - you don't get enough sleep :huh:
    Our Kranin' Wooken - whoohoooooo! I looked at something similar on Amazon & am still toying with it. Keep us updated please?
    Charlie - So much fun stuff planned for August! I don't worry too much about your calories - you really have a handle on it.
    And Jean... oh, Scotland. Never been, would love to go. Have a wonderful, terrific time, you jetsetter you!

I have a question for y'all. Anyone have any experience with temporary ring adjusters? My wedding/engagement set are getting really loose but I don't want to have them resized yet. It's getting to the point where I'm afraid to go swimming with them, but I also know I would misplace them if I took them off (I misplace stuff on a regular basis. Like all the time - walking around looking for my shoes, purse, Kindle, etc probably accounts for 1/3 of my 'steps' every day). Putting tape on the back doesn't thrill me because it would get icky when wet. So, looking for suggestions please?
  • ustillcan
    Options
    August always seems more like the end of a year to me - summer is ending, school is starting, holidays will be coming at me in no time!

It's been a good summer so far as I have really taken a serious approach to improving my health. Just looking forward to enjoying each summer day - getting outside as much as I can.

We have two RV trips planned this month, a weekend getaway mid month and a week in upper Michigan wrapping up on Labor Day. Hopefully I can indulge my yarn addiction a little on each trip, that includes knitting and buying more yarn of course!
  • Wooken3
    Options
    I have a question for y'all. Anyone have any experience with temporary ring adjusters? My wedding/engagement set are getting really loose but I don't want to have them resized yet. It's getting to the point where I'm afraid to go swimming with them, but I also know I would misplace them if I took them off ... So, looking for suggestions please?

I agree, don't resize your wedding set till your weight has stabilized. However, until that happy day...

Go buy a new gold/silver band with a nice stone in your current size…when that's too big…go buy another gold/silver band with a nice stone..and so on and so on. Just be sure the stones match so all can be reset in your final weight loss "reward ring."

flashing-diamond-ring-smiley-emoticon.gif Problem Solved!
  • wandakc
    wandakc Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Good Morning 60's and Older,

I am officially done with my12hr night shift and can finally get back to my routine. As off 7:30 am I will be on my way home. I'll sleep a little, get up and do some cleaning, take a walk with my hubby, maybe catch some sun. What I love about August is to me it's the winding down of summer. Altho I love summer and hate to see it end. Upstate NY can be dreary late fall and ALL winter.

I'm excited to see what will come as I (hopefully) begin to see success. I'm also praying that my husband starts a new job. He has been out of work since Sept. 2013. We are skating on thin ice about now. No traveling for me for a while.
    I'm hoping you all have a great day and I will stop in later!!
  • ireallyneedit
    ireallyneedit Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Well the kids just went home again....August MUST be the time where I get serious with regard to eating and exercise. Wow it seems like we are always socializing and with that comes good food and of course wine....what to do. Only one trip planned next week a pre-wedding reception, wedding and funeral...all away so a lot of eating out etc. but I am going to try very hard to stay on plan. My Jazzercise classes will start again next week and I am determined to go at least 3 times a week so that will help.

Sounds like you are all doing well and it is nice to read the posts and get encouragement from you all. Thanks for that. Wishing you all the best and I will be checking and commenting regularly.
  • ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Go buy a new gold/silver band with a nice stone in your current size…when that's too big…go buy another gold/silver band with a nice stone..and so on and so on. Just be sure the stones match so all can be reset in your final weight loss "reward ring."

flashing-diamond-ring-smiley-emoticon.gif Problem Solved!

Soooo... I told Rick about your suggestion and he busted out laughing. He says, is this the female version of truck and boat buying? 'Honey, I need a smaller ring' then a few months later 'Honey, I need an even smaller ring' :laugh: (those who read my little ditty on the truck adventure will understand that :wink: )

Temporarily, I bought a CHEAP (really really cheap - will probably turn my finger green) ring and moved my good set to my right hand, where it feels weird but fits well.

Off to take two more vehicles to the used car dealer. Which has been a total adventure today so far in itself..........
  • gramanana
    Options
    ker95--thanks for the early birthday wishes. I wish there was a way to save up calories for the next 3 weeks (LOL)! How many vehicles do you have to trade in?

smilesback--I haven't used appetite suppressants for many years (remember the ones with all that caffeine?). My only advice would be to be very careful and watch for any adverse side effects. Good luck.

ireallyneedit--sounds like you have had a busy time and more yet to come. The Jazzercize class sounds like a plan and fun. Enjoy!

wandakc--good luck to your husband in finding work; it's still a difficult thing to do in my area.

I overate again today and I suspect that is how this month will go. I'll have to be like so many and just go with the flow for the month.
  • Wooken3
    Options
    birthday-dancer.gif@ Gramanana: Happy Birthday Month!!
    mosquito-smiley-emoticon.gif@ Ustillcan: Spent the month of May last year poking around Mackinaw City and slowly working our way across the UP over to Duluth MN. What a beautiful part of the world. (Hint: Take LOTS of mosquito repellent!!)
    ring.gif@ Ker95texas: I do remember the truck & boat ditty so if you can't fight 'em…join 'em!

0002264390110_100X100.jpg Update to using of Gold Gym Hand Bike

banana-on-computer-smiley-emoticon.gif I've worked out for 4-days (15-min sessions) and must say I like it. I sat the hand bike on the desk in front of the computer and krank away while reading or watching a video.
    mr-muscle-smiley-emoticon.gifUsing NO tension, I am really feeling it across the shoulder or what I call the computer muscles. In a week or so, I'll add a bit of resistance to start building arm muscle to help get rid of that "bye-bye" flesh.
    bye-smiley-emoticon.gif What is bye-bye flesh you ask? It's that loose upper arm skin that keeps waving bye-bye after your hand has stopped.

Have a great Sunday everyone! ~w3
  • jbouthiette
    jbouthiette Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a busy group of people...

August is going to be a long month for me work wise. A number of big projects all needing to be completed during August and more right behind them in September. I will, hopefully, be able to hold work at bay to continue exercising daily and working towards my goal.

It was a good weekend, got to spend time with my granddaughter which always makes me happy :happy: She will be turning 5 in early September, so I better start saving calories for her birthday party! :wink:

No vacations for us yet this summer, will be heading to San Diego in October for a week for a friends wedding. really looking forward to that! I hope to find time to get a day off and head to the ocean for the day before the weather starts to turn cooler. Always enjoy looking ta the waves while sitting on the beach relaxing.

I hope everyone has a great month! it sounds like everyone is going to be very busy, enjoy! :smile:
  • Mariang165
    Mariang165 Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Happy August All: and special 65th birthday wishes Ronna :flowerforyou: After the past several months with MIL's house sale and moving to a retirement residence, I am looking forward to a quiet August! It was a long weekend here, but we decided not to go to the family cottage up north and just rest. Hey, my DH has been around all weekend and I am finally starting to recognize him! His Mother did go up to the cottage with one of her "younger" girlfriends (who still drives) and will return tomorrow rather than fight the long w/e traffic! I have committed to going and helping her organize her new apt. so that she could go to the cottage this past week, rather than fix up her new place, which was fine with me as we could use the welcome break.

As my sister took my Mum for a few days in July, I won't be able to go anywhere this month. My DH's aunt is flying in from out of province for a few weeks now to visit my MIL so DH will be driving them up to the cottage, stay a few days with them (fix a few things) and then return to work for a week. He will then take off a few more days from work and drive up and pick them up. Hopefully, during one of the 3-day visits he will find time to get his laser out for a sail on the lake! The albacore really needs 2 people to sail it, so he bought the laser last year as it is a one-person boat! W3, where are you when I need to insert one of your fun graphics!! He got it out late last year and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, the cottage is not a good place for my Mum, with her very low vision, walker and hearing issues - the last time she went she fell and broke a bone in her foot - no more of that thank you very much! :grumble: So Mum and I will stay home but that's ok, maybe I will finally find some time and ENERGY to do some tidy and cleanup around our place! I really have let things slip over these past several months, as care of my Mum and helping out with MIL were the priorities.

My best girlfriend is back from her trip to Italy with her DH and daughter so I am looking forward to dinner and a gab with her later this month. :happy: Also, as much as I am dreading it :sad: :sad: I plan to go shopping for a couple (read very few) items of clothing! My really fat clothes look silly on me now (yippee!) but my thinner clothes don't anywhere fit yet. I still need to lose 2 inches on my waist for any of them to even do up, let alone let me breath! Hey, I am not complaining as I am so happy to have lost some weight ( thanks everyone for your encouragement, it really does help, this is way too hard to do alone, don't you think?). Oh, I hate shopping (I missed out on that gene) and I would prefer to not buy any really good clothes just yet, as optimistically, I will lose more weight :drinker: !

I do plan however to try and walk more this month, a challenge for me as exercise and I don't speak the same language, as many of you know :wink:

Very dark and noisy outside right now (4:30pm) as a very large thunderstorm is passing overhead, yea, it will water the garden, but will not be nice for those driving home after their long w/e away!

Hope you all have a great August, talk again another time, cheers, Marian
  • Wooken3
    Options
    ...Hopefully, during one of the 3-day visits he will find time to get his laser out for a sail on the lake! The albacore really needs 2 people to sail it, so he bought the laser last year as it is a one-person boat! W3, where are you when I need to insert one of your fun graphics!!

Mariang165, Just a few boats to keep Hubby company out on the lake. :laugh:
    boat.gifboat_smiley.gifboat-smiley-emoticon.gifboatsmiley.gifboating-smiley-emoticon.gifvil2_voilier.gif

Happy Sailing! w3
  • Mariang165
    Mariang165 Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    W3, thank you, :love: they are all great, and the 1st from the left is perfect! DH sails with a Tilley hat so it looks just like him! I showed them to him and he laughed happily!

The last one on the far right is perfect for our friend who has a Catalina with portholes, you can sleep on, with kitchen, etc and can be sailed by one person because of all the motorized sail lifts and gps auto pilot!

Thanks for the chuckles, cheers, Marian
  • wandakc
    wandakc Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Good Evening, August is off to a good start for me! Family are all heading back to their destinations. My DD age 25 is going back to London, to complete her education. DS age 24 is getting ready to leave for Officer Candidate school in the Army. DD age 22 is studying for her MCAT and hoping to start Medical School in the Spring. DD age 20 is returning to University of Buffalo for her Junior yr. DS age 17 will be starting his Senior yr. of HS. They grow so fast !!
    I am continuing to look for different foods, I really love salads :love: I forgot to weigh in Sunday so will do it in the morning.

I hope everyone has a wonderful evening :flowerforyou:
  • smilesback
    smilesback Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Wanda, you are just glowing with family pride. Good for you! I love my 6 sons and each one is different. When they are happy, it means the world to me. I am happy too as we are all in a good spot right now. My Dad is adjusting to loss of eyesight, or rather I am adjusting to his loss of vision. There is nothing I can do about that, but love him anyways.

This first week must be the hardest so if I get through it and meet my goal, it will get easier. It is only the first Monday of August and I weigh 154.4 with my goal for Saturday at 152.6. That is nearly 2 lbs now. Ha! I cannot consistently lose 0.5 lb. Seems unrealistic that I will meet my goal, but I guess I will keep trying. My trend is going down and I will probably reach my goal by my birthday in 2017!

I am doing good on my EXERCISE GOAL of 60 MIN A DAY: Saturday did 40 min, Sunday did 60 min and so far today Monday did 60 min and going to go swim for another 30. Doesn't seem that hard to get 60 min a day in of exercise, but not eating back the calories is tricky somewhat. .

Seriously wondering if there is something wrong with me mentally or what? I exercise and don't lose because I just like to eat when I want to eat, even if it has to be healthy foods. As soon as I start to feel hungry after I exercise, I want to eat. I am trying to spread out calories through the day and that does help some. I also added water-volume fruits and soup to help fill me up. I just am starting to want high calorie dense foods lately and we are talking stuff I don't usually eat, like french fries, chips, and cookies. For now, I am eating fruits and low calorie fudgsicle, granola bar etc. It would all be worth it if I was losing. I guess it is too soon to tell if I am going lose anything this month.

Just hanging in there! Hope you have a good week :)
  • gramanana
    Options
    Marian--thanks for the birthday wishes. I really love birthdays no matter how "young" we are--can you tell because I've been talking about it for awhile. Compared to you, I have absolutely nothing going on. LOL

Wandakc--the kids do grow up quickly. Now we are watching our grandkids grow up too fast. We don't see too much of them, so the changes seem drastic when we do see them.

I am back to crafting again after a long period of no interesting and not finding a project that sparked that interest. I am making bookmark pictures for the family and friends coming to help celebrate my birthday. Since I'm not as talented as Wooken on the computer, it took me about 2 weeks to find and format the pictures I wanted to use. Finally printed them out this morning. The next step will be cutting them out--they are all in different shaped frames--and encasing them in some heavy plastic I found in my craft box. I will probably embroider, rather than glue, the edges. I thought I could use a blanket stitch on some and may chain stitch on others. Hubby may have to help me cut everything out because it is possible I will make a mess of it. Also, I need to finish early because DSIL is coming to spend my birthday week with us and these tiny thank you gifts are supposed to be a surprise. We'll see how it goes.