Introduce Yourself

Options

Replies

• AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hi, Im Haylie, I'm 27 and I live in Cambridgeshire, England.
    I've been running on/off for years, but go really serious about 3 months ago. I'm traing for a half marathon in October, but really working on speed rather than distance, as I run an average of 30 miles a week, and I run 12 miles already.
    I've always been a slow runner, but have started to get quicker recently. I run a 5k yesterday and finished it in 26mins, so not bad! I used to be happy if I got under 10min/mile :)
    I still consider myself a novice when it comes to running, so I'd appreciate any tips. Especially on avoiding injuries, as I get sore knees a lot.
    My target time for hm is under 2 hours, but 1:50 would be amazing.
    My target for August is 100 miles, I did 115 in July so hopefully achievable!
  • nadamandar
    Options
    Hey! I'm Amanda. I live in Toronto. I'm getting married in Costa Rica in November. Currently, I run 2-3 times/week. Right now I'm at at least 10km per run. I do a bit of walking in there too. I like the challenge! It'll keep me on point....though I'll probably log in km and I can't deal with all of that ticker business!

Happy running!
  • slvq
    slvq Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi! I'm Sandra; I'm originally from the midwest and live in NC now. I've never been very athletic, and only started running about six years ago. Stopped running almost completely before my first daughter was born 4 years ago and am only now getting back into it. I'm pretty slow and don't run very far, but I do enjoy it. I'm looking forward to participating in the August challenge!

Thanks!
  • annathelu
    annathelu Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Anna. I think I joined a similar running challenge over the spring, but I petered out posting miles. I'll endeavor to improve Tia go 'round. I run 3-4 times a week, anywhere from 1 to 4 miles. Just started being consistent in the past couple of months. Since May I've trained for my first Triathlon ( a sprint), and I'm hooked. Race is Sunday. Barring unforeseen I plan to complete a second next month, then set my sights on an uphill 10k. Most I can run at a time is 4 miles , though. Looking forward to the motivation. Good luck to everyone!
  • BWrecky
    BWrecky Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Rebecca. I'm 35, married 13 years, and have a 4 year old. I have never really been a runner, but have played soccer my whole life. I was playing indoor when I tore my ACL 1.5 years ago. It took me 3 months just to get my knee to a place where they could perform the reconstruction, and then another year to even be able to go up and down stairs without significant pain/assistance (the muscle atrophied fairly quickly after surgery). Now I do HIIT training a few times a week, and started the c25k recently. I've repeated a few weeks, so I just completed week 5 day 2. I try to run a few times a week, but I work a lot, so I definitely need motivation to get my butt out of bed early enough to run first thing in the morning. I'm hoping to log 35 miles this month. I'm so glad there is a group for support!
  • scubakat67
    scubakat67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm Kathy from Atlanta. I've only recently started running (still a run/walk combo). I started "wogging" on my lunch hour in May in an effort to kick my weight loss into gear, but when it got hot here in the South, I couldn't keep it up during lunch, so had to reignite my former morning person and drag myself out of bed before the birds even wake up.

I've been consistently logging 3-4 miles each weekday morning since the beginning of June, with longer distances on the weekends or if I'm out of town with more time (I have a pretty slow pace at about 13-14 min/mile). I'm definitely enjoying the results and the "me" time - need to work on my play list, though. I haven't done any races, but my best highlight was seeing a moose while on a morning run in southeastern Idaho! Awesome.

Thanks for starting this group - I'm hoping to hit my goal for August ... Now I'm on to figure out that nifty ticker! Good luck everyone!
  • kymsfitness
    kymsfitness Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Howdy All, I'm Kym I have been a walker and a causal bike rider for a few years, but this summer has been rough to get myself back out there. I have stared back up again this week and I am hoping that this group will help motivate me. I have 2 GSD that love to go with me and keep me company. Normally once a routine has been started with them they dont like to take no for an answer. LOL They are a good motivation. LOL But not so much this summer I have been a slacker.

I am new this this part of the site if I miss something I dont mean to.

I am starting to get excited again.

Have a Most Excellent Day Everone :)
  • jwats8
    jwats8 Posts: 112
    Options
    Hi I am Jessica, divorced with 3 teenage daughters. I am trying to get back into running, but am having some trouble staying motivated. I am hoping joining challenges and clubs and starting friendships with other people who want to run will help my motivation.
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Just starting running after a shoulder injury prevented me from doing my normal work-outs. I started in April, quit for a bit, then have in the last month been trying to be consistently running 4 days a week about 30 minutes or 2 miles or so -- I am still pretty slow. I am going to do a No Boundaries run group starting next week so I am excited about that and hope to pick up my pace and consistency. I am sort of old to be starting this (51) but I do enjoy it. I love the feeling after you finish and you are just so sweaty and feel good! That and I'd like to lose a few pounds keep me running. :flowerforyou:
  • redzgal
    redzgal Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was actually looking to see if someone had started a September run challenge and stumbled on to this group. I was in the USMC for 10 years so did lots of running. Ruined my knees and once I got out I decided I was done with running.

I decided to get back into it about a year ago because I remembered how easy it was to drop weight doing it. From years of running on concrete in combat boots my knees are shot but I found that running on a treadmill is easier so I invested in one. I've been off now for about 8 weeks and decided that September 1st I will get back to it. I sort of have a love/hate relationship with running. I hate the thought of it, but once I've started and I'm done, I love it!

So, here's to starting again! ;)
  • kiralu76
    kiralu76 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I am a new runner, from Medford, MA. I am a reformed smoker, I quit last November. So, I have decided I want to embrace my quit, and I feel like the best way to do that is to run. I used to run when I was younger, but never very far or long, because I smoked!! Plus, I have a lot of weight to lose, so I figured running would also help that along.

I am in the middle of the c25k, I am about to start week 5, I am a little intimidated about the 20 minute run at the end of this week. One of the reasons I am on here looking for some support.

I think this running group is great, and I am looking forward to getting and providing inspiration.
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hello! After a 15 year hiatus I started running again last summer.
    I was trying for 1,000 miles this year, but as I'm already at 917miles now I'm going for 1,500.
    The monthly challenges will be great for encouraging me to keep running 200 each month. I'm especially looking forward to learning how others handle running through winter. It was mid 80's & humid today but that bitter New England winter is just around the corner.
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I'm Valentina. I'm a runner, happy wife, college professor, and a little bit of a nerd :blushing: I ran a full marathon once, numerous 5k and 10k, and right now I just run because...well, pasta.. And pizza, and mashed potatoes :bigsmile: I'm excited to join a like-minded group of people and complete my first challenge

Cheers! :drinker:
  • cycletrak1
    cycletrak1 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I am relatively new to the whole group thing. I just started joining groups Mid-August, even though I've belonged to MFP for a while. In the past I only used the Android App to log my food and then life happened and I eventually lost interest. I only recently (Mid-August) got back to logging food and trying to loose weight AGAIN!

Since Mid-August, I have lots 8 pounds. Due to my past experience with MFP, I decided that logging food was not going to be enough to keep me motivated. So, I went to the MFP website to explore other things on MFP that could possible help me with my journey. I decided that in order to succeed this time, I needed support from others who are on the same path and discovered this wonderful world of "groups" on MFP!

I joined this group because I thought it would help motivate me and keep me motivated to get back to and continue a walking routine and eventually running. I like the fact that even though this is a running group, you also accept walkers like me who would like to be runners....eventually! Thank you so much for starting and maintaning this group!
    :flowerforyou:
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Hi there! I just joined today and am planning on doing the September running challenge! :)

My name is Suzanne, I'm 23, I live in Canada, and I had a baby 2 1/2 months ago. Before baby I was training for a 5k (which is a big deal for me) but after finding out I was pregnant I decided to take it easy with the training because having a healthy pregnancy was more important to me than running the 5k. I completed my 5k running half and walking the rest of the distance.

I'm setting my goal at 20 miles for this month and we'll see where I will go from there. :)

exercise.png
  • ShortMrsN
    ShortMrsN Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm Kerry, I live in Wellington, New Zealand and have 4 kids.(7.5 yr old twin boys, nearly 6 yr old boy and 4 yr old girl)
    I started the c25k program a year ago this month (completed it in 12 wks due to school holidays, illness and a twisted knee :frown:)
    I wasn't pushing myself for much of this year.....could run 30 minutes (wasn't yet at 5km) but wasn't doing it!! Winter didn't help!
    I joined mapmyrun and started to focus on distance (after noticing my pace had increased) and now I am running 6km 3 days a week (when all the small people are at school & kindy) and 5.4 on Sundays.
    I have found a new route to run and am aiming to run my 1st 7km tomorrow! My goal is to be running 10km by Christmas: bigsmile:

My goal for September is 100km (so far I have run 22.1)
  • gillirob
    gillirob Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My name is Robin. I have been using My Fitness Pal for years (lost count) now. I live in OHIO. I am in my early 50's, and started running in the spring of this year. Trained all summer for a 1/2 marathon.
    I ran my FIRST of hopefully many 1/2 marathon on Sept. 7th. My only disappointment is, I woke up 3 lbs. heavier. I am already 20 lbs. overweight. I will continue this battle until I win.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    My name is Michele. I'm training to run the Tough Mudder (a 10 mile obstacle course) on Oct. 5th. I absolutely hate running, but I do it anyway. I tried for 10 miles yesterday and managed 9.8 with my hips feeling like they where going to collapse around mile 7 - which means I have a lot of work ahead of me!!
  • campellini
    Options
    I'm Ken and have been a runner since '92. I'm 53 married with 3 adult children, all growed up and out of the house!

I joined myfitnesspal to see if it can help me to lose a few stubborn pounds. Though I've been a runner for a very long time (ran over 30 marathons with my first one in '96) it really didn't help with my weight until I combined it with healthy eating (and pushing away from the training table early and often!). I saw this group and thought 'that's where I belong!'

I'm 5'9" and at my heaviest I was 185 pounds and now weigh about 153. I dropped from 185 down to the low 150's about 5 years ago and have been able to hang onto that weight since. I'm happy about that and be optimistic that you all can do that as well.

Once in a while I can drop below 150 and my running becomes much better than even at 155 - huge difference. And that is why I'm on myfitnesspal. I'm hoping that being accountable to myself by seeing the calories I consume every meal and day will give me that little edge I need to get to where I want to be.
  • pammy359
    pammy359 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,,,,,what a great site this is. It keep me motivated and running. I started running just over a year ago. I went with the C25K program...never thought I was a runner or could do 5k without fainting. I had to take a break over the winter with my bad back..but I'm back at it and did a colour run this summer...lots of fun. :) Now I'm doing 5k when I run, but I do want to get up to 10K and then maybe even a half marathon. I live in Southern Ontario Canada, and winters are cold so I run on a great indoor track for the snowy months. I need to be more consistent when running so here goes......... :)