Introduce Yourself

Replies

• Ninna996
    Ninna996 Posts: 4 Member
    Hi,I'm Nina,but people call me Ninja (yes,like ninja turtles,and yes,I like it :D).I never really put much thought in how much I run monthly.I do a lot of different things,like dancing,jogging,riding a bike,walking,some days I'm in jim,others I go to aerobics.This month I wanna focus on running,so here I am.
    xOxO
  • vickiem74
    vickiem74 Posts: 49 Member
    Hi. I am Vickie from Central Illinois. I ran my very first 5K, 4 years ago but have begun taking my running more seriously in the last couple of months. In the last 4 years I have managed to run 17 %ks and 2 10Ks. I have decided that next April I will attempt my first half marathon.

May will be my first challenge and I am looking forward to it. I need to have goals in my life!
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Hi, I'm Carol from Michigan. I've participated in the monthly challenges before but am new to the group. I've been running off and on for years but never stayed consistent and always struggled. Last year I set a goal of running an entire 5k (a year ago I could not run a mile without walking), which I did in July. I then signed up for an 8k in August and a 10k in November. Then I discovered that I really like running 10k's. I ran three more through the winter and a half marathon a few weeks ago. Right now I have no races on my schedule but will do a half or two this fall and whatever local races I can fit in over the summer. I'm still deciding how many miles I want to run in May, I'm hoping to spend time on my bike too!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Thank you everyone. It's wonderful to meet you all.
  • bkbenda
    bkbenda Posts: 265 Member
    Hi! I’m Kathy from Florida.
    Why did I start running? My husband had been running for 4 years and I was always supportive of his training and attended the race events. I was the “photographer”. He even purchased a higher priced camera with a special lens so I could get great shots of his approach to the finish line. I was overweight, stressed at work and had ailing parents that I had to care for. I spent no time on myself. Finally, in March of 2013 I had enough. It was time to focus on me. I started MFP to track my food intake and quickly realized that if I added exercise I could eat more. My husband wasn’t going to quit running so I might as well join him.

Running Journey - My running journey started April 2013 with an unsuccessful attempt at C25K. I was overweight and had no endurance base plus faced the Florida heat. (I only run/walk outside). I switched to walking, building up to 5 miles a day at 4.5 mph. In August, I started back with C25K. Once I was able to run the entire 30 minutes, nowhere near 3.1 miles, I pushed myself to run the 3.1 miles (39 min.). I then increased my distance by .5 a mile a week until I was able to run a 10K (1:17). I started using Runkeeper sub 65 10K training plan to build my speed but switched to a HM plan in December as I wanted to run the Gate River Run – 15K in March. The increased distance also increased my speed. (Lost 70 lbs - March 2013-2014)

Race History –
    March 2014 – Ortega River Run – 5K (48:48) Fast enough to qualify for a seeded Gate River Run start but I had already registered. Never imagined I would be able to seed at this point!
    March 2014 – Gate River Run – 15K (1:35:28) Ran all but .5 mile at mile 8 going up the “Green Monster”.
    April 2014 – Corporate Run – 5K (28:11) Accomplished sub 30 goal!

Current Training –
    Sub 55-5K – Runkeeper – free training plans
    http://runkeeper.com/search/fitness-classes/running/finish-a-race
    Stronglifts 5x5
    http://stronglifts.com/
    HIIT –:30 fast/1:00 slow, :30 fast/:30 slow, :30 fast/:15 slow – 2 weeks each
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ultimate-8-week-hiit-for-fat-burning-program.html

Goals –
    Sub 27-5K
    Sub 2:15 HM
    Loose 10-15 pounds
    Decrease BF%

Future Races –
    Memorial Day 5K – May 2014
    Run for the Pies 5K – June 2014
    Tour de Pain – August (4 mile beach run, 5K and 1 mile sprint over 2 days)
    Tri2Btuff – 1/2 Marathon (October, November and December)

Motivation –
    Joining the neighborhood running club and participating in races.
    MFP monthly challenges (December- April). Not only does this challenge provide accountability, reading the other posts provide motivation and ideas to improve my own training. Also provides a great way to journal my running journey.

The creation of the Monthly Challenge Group is a great enhancement! Thanks Stan!
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Hi all! I'm Ash - new to running though I have loved to walk and hike my entire life. Currently I'm managing 3 miles in about 40 minuets. Not fast I know, but I'm slowly working on speed/distance. This is my first monthly running challenge. I have competed in a few mud runs before, but May 10th will be my first 5k (it is a trail run) with intent to actually compete and not just for fun.
  • irakrishna1
    irakrishna1 Posts: 106 Member
    Hi friends!:drinker:

I'm Ira from Bangalore. Finding MFP has been a good chance for me to stay motivated and connect to new friends with similar aspirations. At first I was keen on losing weight but now the work out has become a source of joy and challenge. I take occasional break though to not get addicted!! ;) I got totally hooked to running and then came injuries.....

My last challenge was full of injury and recovery.This time I have decided for variety so no more long distance running but short sprints for me. Many commitments so would be running 30 miles only in May. Things can go up hopefully! :)
  • TheManda27
    TheManda27 Posts: 42 Member
    Hello,

My name is Amanda. I am 29 years old and pretty new to running. I am set to run my first 5km on May 31st and have been working to improve my stamina and speed. I try to run at least 5k 5-6 times a week.

On a personal note I am a mom to 2 girls, aged 10 & 6, work full time and live in Peterborough, ON Canada.

I look forward to going through this process with all of you!! :)
  • jemimasmum
    jemimasmum Posts: 249 Member
    Hi all,
    I'm Rachel. I'm trying to improve my running in prep for becoming a triathlete at the age of 50. Running always scared me despite having played hockey all through my 20s - I didn't seem to be able to run without a ball to chase!
    After several false starts I'm up to running about 4 miles at a stretch. I have entered for a 10k on 24 May so want to push up mileage and speed. Have set a big mileage target to try to ensure that I carry on going after 24th. It will be too easy to do the 10 k and sit back thinking it's all done.
    Cheers all!
  • dchillin65
    dchillin65 Posts: 97 Member
    Thanks for the invite! It's nice to see so many active runners! My name is Debi (49 years young) and I'm married to another runner. It's nice because I have someone close to help push me when needed. I started running a couple of years ago as a THIS IS IT moment on my birthday. I was so proud finishing a 5k at 48:41. After years of losing and gaining weight, I finally found something that I could add to my other forms of exercise. Now, it's become a "makes me happy" habit. I love Focus T25, Insanity and running 3-5 days a week. Completed 5 5K races (PR 28:43) so far this year with one coming up on mother's day that I will run with my adult daughter.

I'm fast becoming an AM and PM runner but find after work runs more challenging due to my stress level/tiredness. I'm working on improving my 5K time and adding more miles to my runs. So far my 2014 mileage is 148.

I'm really looking forward to this challenge group.
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Hello my name is Lyla I'm from Southern California and have been a runner for 3 1/2 years. I initially started running to be able to pass a physical agility test for employment and have kept running mostly for sanity during my separation and divorce and have found that I really enjoy running. I have 3 young boys, 14, 12 & 8 and we all participated in a 5K color run last summer. I finished my first 1/2 marathon in December 2013 (my profile picture) with a time of 2:26 and am currently training for my first marathon on November 8, 2014 which my oldest son challenged me to finish a marathon before I turn 41 and in return he would run a 1/2 marathon by the same time. I am running the marathon with my boyfriend, also his first marathon. I am I'm looking forward to this challenge :smile:
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,790 Member
    Hi, I'm Jackie from Las Veaas and have been a runner for a little over 2 years! I love mornings run, normally run 5 days a week! I also competed in a few 5k runs with my best 33:34 mins.

I reached my goal weight the beginning of this month! Looking forward to this challenge! I'm in another challenge and my goal is 130 miles so it's going to be 130 too! Good luck everyone!
  • MichelleSawatzky
    MichelleSawatzky Posts: 44 Member
    Hello!! My name is Michelle, I'm a 45 year old grandma and have been running since 2009. I had only done 5K's before (PR 30:11) but decided to push myself this spring - I did my first 10K race this past Saturday in 59:36!! Which has totally pumped me up to run more! So this challenge is perfect timing for me. I'm only putting down 60 miles...but I'm hoping to surpass that!
    I also do Zumba 2-3 times per week which I love!
    My husband also runs with me from time to time...we have been married for 26 years.
    We have a daughter who is 25 and married with a beautiful baby girl and a son who is 24.
    My daughter and son-in-law also run and have done a few 5Ks with me.

Good Luck Everyone - I'm very excited about this challenge group! :happy:
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Hi, I'm Gerrilynn. I'm 46 years old, three (married) adult sons, and two of the most precious grandkids in the world. I started running about 2 years ago. I was never a runner before that. Since then, I've ran several half marathons and just completed my first full marathon last Saturday. It is kinda a bug. Once you catch it, it's over.

Best wishes to all and if I can be of any help, feel free to send me a friend request or message me.
  • farrellz
    farrellz Posts: 23 Member
    Hello Everyone - I am Steve from Austin, Texas. I am 64 years old and have never been a dedicated runner. 10 years ago I was working out every day which included a 2 mile jog. I stopped running when I began to have pain in my left knee.

2 months ago I began regular workouts which includes 20 minutes every morning on a treadmill and a 1 mile brisk walk after lunch on work days. Once a week I try to walk 9 holes of golf and carry my clubs.

I plan to log 60 miles run/walk in May.
  • resolv13
    resolv13 Posts: 87 Member
    Hi Everyone!
    I am Jill. I am a 27 year-old, full-time student. I have been putting my studies ahead of my health for years. I started running for the first time in the summer of 2011, but, didn't have the money to buy proper running gear during the winter and more or less gave it up. There were scattered moments of running through 2012. But, when 2013 rolled around I was done for... it turned out to be the most stressful year of my life, and it put a huge strain on my health and physicality. By the end of 2013, I vowed to make a change.... to make my health a priority! So, I returned to MFP. Completed Insanity. And started running again in February. I just completed my second 10K race on Sunday. I am still pretty slow averaging around 9:30 - 10 min per mile. But, I am determined to run farther and faster and get healthier. I have my first half marathon in June, which I could not be more excited for. Therefore, I will really be putting in the miles over the next couple of months! I am happy to join everyone in this running challenge, and look forward to taking many steps towards becoming a full blown runner!
  • Mrsred09
    Mrsred09 Posts: 22 Member
    Hi I'm Red. I am a newish runner, really started enjoying running in November of 2013. I run anywhere from 30-50 miles a month and want to run more, just haven't found the time. I work full time, am in graduate school, and am married with a 1 year old. My goal for May is to run 50 miles.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    ScientificExplorerGirl Posts: 535 Member
    Hi, I'm Pearl. I bike and run. I love to bike and am learning to love to run again. After many years of not running I began again in December 2013. It's very different now that I am a bit older but still love the feeling of the endorphin rush after a good run. I'll never be really fast at either biking or running but I do have endurance. I could go for hours. My goal for May is 60 miles. I am doing a 10K run on the May 11th, and then another one on October 12th. This should allow me to gauge my improvement over the Summer!

Have fun out there everyone!!
  • mhock21
    mhock21 Posts: 2 Member
    Hello Everyone!
    New month - new challenge. I have set my goal to run 50 miles in the month of May. I am hoping to surpass this but since this is my first challenge I wasn't sure.
    I combine running with some crossfit usually led by JIllian Michaels. In fact today I will finish JM Body Revolution. 12 weeks and not one pound lost. Super frustrated. I set out to lose 10 and lost 0. But I feel much leaner and stronger and I can notice big differences just not on the scale. I usually do 30 minutes of running followed by 30 minute JM workout - 4 times per week.

I have ran two 5K races and am running another one in June.

Looking forward to being apart of the challenge.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Hi! My name is Sherri. And I am a runner. I am down 10 lbs and I have 80 more to go. This extra weight makes me a super slow runner. I gained a lot after I had my second son (he was born last May) and I am working on losing weight so I can run faster... Yeah.... I am not running to lose weight - I am losing weight to run.

I started running for real in January of 2008, but quit that June when I found out I was pregnant with my first son. Started again after he was born and have kept up with it. It is my "me" time and my anti-depressant.

I have done about a zillion 5k's. My PR was a few years ago at 34 mins and change. My longest time was 54 mins and change when I was 7 months pregnant with my second son. :) Right now, I am running them in the 43 to 45 mins range. Slow and steady... right?

I have done one 10k, two HM, one sprint distance triathlon, numerous pub runs, and next month, I will be doing my first Spartan Sprint. I am scared sh*tless.