Step counters

Options
Anyone here using a step counter? How is it effecting your program, if at all?

I started using a Fitbit about a month ago, instead of joining a gym for the summer. I am interested to see how the numbers change when I go back to work in a few weeks. Right now I'm averaging 12K a day, with a few days over 20K.

Since I'm new to using it, I'm not sure what the long term effect will be, if any. Interested in hearing feedback pro or con from others.

Replies

• blackthrux
    blackthrux Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I also use a Fitbit, but more for getting benefits at my employer for being active as I go through my day, as opposed to developing a target step count to use as a daily goal. I don't have any special training or knowledge, so take this FWIW, but the employer wants people to target a minimum of 7K steps daily, as that's where the research that they are relying upon shows long term benefits. I have no idea if that is accurate, or what those benefits really are, but that's the "party line", so to speak. As with everything else, trying to use mass generalizations at an individual level may or may not prove effective, your mileage may vary, etc.
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna go buy a fitbit this weekend (maybe today) any suggestions on the brand? I was thinking of the fitbit flex.
  • blackthrux
    blackthrux Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am currently using a Zip. The only problem I've had with it is that I've had the actual tracker slip out of the clip, and almost lost it this past weekend because of that. There's a chart available on the Fitbit website to compare the Zip / One / Flex trackers and choose based on what is important to you. If I lose the Zip again, I plan to replace with the Flex.
  • MichelleOnWheels
    MichelleOnWheels Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I chose the One and I love it. I would not like to wear a rubber colored band around my wrist, so the Flex is out for me. I clip mine to my bra strap most of the time, but clip it to my shoe when I ride my bike. If you decide to get one, let's hook up there too!
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    I chose the One and I love it. I would not like to wear a rubber colored band around my wrist, so the Flex is out for me. I clip mine to my bra strap most of the time, but clip it to my shoe when I ride my bike. If you decide to get one, let's hook up there too!

I liked the wristband better than the clip, so I got this one
    fitbit.jpg

The fitbit site is slightly confusing, so I'll connect as soon as I figure out how :laugh:
  • MichelleOnWheels
    Options
    Remember that your arm needs to be able to swing in order for the Flex to work. Good color!
  • Boon233
    Boon233 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My sister bought me a Fit bit One for Father's Day. It is a great motivator by letting me know when I am not being active. I focus on my steps more on my non-workout days than days I exercise.
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    Remember that your arm needs to be able to swing in order for the Flex to work. Good color!

It's been working great and I definitiely made the right choice. Like Boon, I use it primarily for steps. I also use it for sleep, which has been interesting.
  • MichelleOnWheels
    Options
    I find the sleep info interesting, too. I don't wear it every night at this point, because I think I got the info I needed.
  • SMK683
    SMK683 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Got a Fitbit for Christmas and love it! I recently paid prime and the reports are very helpful. It also can develope plans for you to increase your activty level.
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    Got a Fitbit for Christmas and love it! I recently paid prime and the reports are very helpful. It also can develope plans for you to increase your activty level.

I love it too, even though I haven't figured everything out yet.
  • traceyandelliemay
    traceyandelliemay Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    im on fit bit been on and off since January for health reasons to do 10,000 steps a day after loosing any reason to get up outta bed since quitting smoking im back on it again