Let's get this Group Going

Options

Replies

• tlicttbh
    tlicttbh Posts: 89
    Options
    I am new to this group...I'm not sure if it's the right group for me. I am looking for an active group. So many of the groups haven't had any activity for months. I want an active group where there are at least a few postings each week. I am 58. I am an emotional eater, but couldn't find an active emotional eating group, so I thought I'd try to find an active Seniors group. I exercise 3-4 times a week at the gym. I love to walk, but have bad allergies so the gym works for me. I recently took a workshop on a contraption called TRX suspension training. Our gym has one. I do that, go on the recumbent elliptical or the exercycle, some weights, quite a bit of core work and stretching exercises.
  • merrygrannie
    merrygrannie Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hello tlicttbh-Sad to say there hasn't been much activity on here.I wish I lived closer to a gym but there's nothing close around here.I love to walk and I have a exercise tape on walking when the weather isn't cooperative.I'm 67 and I've always been an emotional eater.Food was always available when I wanted it.Not needed it but wanted it.No matter what mood I was in.I could always rely on it.No more.I have learned to be stronger than my worse habit.MFP has really helped me.I had lost 22 lbs before findind MFP and lost another 40 lbs using MFP.Right know I've hit a plateau and I'm trying to get past it.I still have at least 37 lbs to lose.
    Food is just that,food .It doesn't solve anything.It's a solution to nothing.After consuming it we feel worse if we don't eat healthy.It's a vicious cycle.Time to break that cycle.Be stronger than your worse habit.
    Mary
  • tlicttbh
    Options
    The two books that helped me the most with emotional eating are:
    EatQ by Susan Albers
    Overcoming Emotional Eating by Geneen Roth

I got both of them at our local library.
  • merrygrannie
    Options
    Good morning
    tlicttbh-what has helped me was my Dr.putting me on a mild anti-depressant pill.I don't have the anxiety attacks anymore.
    Mary
  • wagglesworth
    wagglesworth Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Slide over. I'm getting on the wagon. I just read your post and it's was like reading about me. I'm 64, need to lose 100+ pounds. My health is a major concern. I visit the Dr. once a month and when he sees me he shakes his head and says "Estee, you're a mess". I have been having a pity party for far too long and looking for comfort through food. An emotional eater I am. Anyway, I gave myself a pep talk and a kick in the butt and have started a big change in my eating and it's working. I haven't weighed myself since I started (July 1st) because I scheduled to see the Dr. again on the 18th. But I know I'm losing by the way my clothes fit and comments from co-workers and my hair stylist. Now I face the problem I have with exercise. Been avoiding it because I'm afraid I can't do it. I know another excuse and I just need to start. I think that's it - just start. I may go reintroduce myself to my treadmill which is sitting there with the patio cushions stacked on it. Well I think that's it for now. I look forward to hearing from you. We can lift each other up as we head towards are goals. Until then take care.
  • tlicttbh
    Options
    Great to have you on board the wagon, Waggleworth! I was just going to suggest that walking would be a good exercise to start...then I read that you were thinking of doing the treadmill. Good idea. I like to walk outdoors, but have bad allergies during certain seasons. I've been hoping this group would get going...so many of the groups are inactive. Keep us posted.
  • merrygrannie
    Options
    Waggleworth-it only takes one step at a time and before long you'll be going the distance.You've already taken the first step by "getting on the wagon".I always associate dieting with exercise,which is crazy.If i'm not dieting I don't exercise.I have to be doing both or neither.told you it was crazy.I decided I needed to make a change in my life when the Dr.told me I was borderline diabetic.I sure didn't want that to happen.I'm so glad you joined and looking forward to your weight lose journey.

tlicttbh-I hope you're having a good day.I haven't done any exercises today but that's on my to do list.Since I have to drink 11 glasses of water today i'm behind on that.,still have 6 more to go.I need to get it in early else i'll be up all night going to the bathroom.
    Everyone have a good day of healthy eating ,exercise and plenty of water.We CAN do this!
    Mary
  • GloriaAnn72
    GloriaAnn72 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am like this too, either diet and exercise or neither, so yo-yo and yo-yo. I have started both now and really want to look at this as a life style change once and for all. I am 60 and have about 25 pounds to lose. The same 25 pounds that I have lost and gained all my life (more or less). I am doing the C25K running plan and love zumba, but know that I need to do some weight training too. I'm glad that this group got started again!!
  • tlicttbh
    Options
    I'm glad you are with us here in this group, Gloria Ann. I yo-yo too and hope to put an end to that. I went out to lunch today and didn't overeat. I'm finally (after all decades) learning not to overeat in social situations and when I go out to eat. I"m not going to the gym today, but I am going to watch a DVD from the library about using the foam roller (I have one), and do some balance and core exercises. At volunteer orientation at a local assisted living place, one of the top 5 reasons why people have to move to assisted living or nursing homes are balance problems (and falling).
  • merrygrannie
    Options
    Gloria Ann-I've lost enough weight in my lifetime that you would think I'd know better than to keep putting it back on.I consider myself semi-intelligent,depends on who you ask,that I would know food is not the answer to my problems.It just adds to them.
    tlicttbh-I've never heard of the foam roller,except the ones you curl your hair with.lol .Enlighten me.And would it be safe and easy for a elderly person to use,say 67yrs.old?
  • tlicttbh
    Options
    Merry--Here is a you tube video that showed the foam roller:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE5na0zvVMg
    Or you can do an internet search on foam roller.
    It takes quite a bit of coordination to use it, and arm strength, so it might not be the best thing for you. It is done on the floor.
  • lucy5599
    lucy5599 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! Found this thread and I'm enjoying reading all of your posts. I am 58 years old and have just gotten back on MFP for a little over a month. My weight is always yo-yoing and am now trying to lose again. I am a member of Curves and get most of my exercise through walking, which I enjoy walking outdoors so much. Hope you don't mind my reading your posts as it seems such a nice group with all the same problems as myself
  • merrygrannie
    Options
    Hello ladies
    Lucy-I've been on a plateau for about a month but i'm determined to hang in there.I have 34 lbs more to lose.I've lost 65 lbs.so far,43 from using MFP.I wish I lived close to a fitness center but the closest one is 30 miles away.I also like walking.At my age,67,it the easiest way for me to exercise.I hope we can all motivate and inspire each other.
    Mary
  • Faldkats
    Options
    Merriegranny - How are you doing? For the first time in my life I am being consistent about exercise. Not doing a lot, because I don't like exercise. But the 40 minutes I spend on the cross trainer at my Wellness Center is going by faster now. I learned how to make my smartphone work so I can listen to favorite radio programs while doing my thing. I'm also being consistent about coming on here every day and entering my food and exercise. Though my weight loss is minimal, it's better than gaining.
  • Faldkats
    Options
    Good work!
  • merrygrannie
    Options
    FaldKats-it seems like you're back on track.Great job on exercising and tracking everything.I'm trying to get some motivation to exercise.I was so faithful about it but it seems like I have so much going on I can't seem to fit it in.Could be why i'm having a hard time losing.I'm going to make myself exercise today.Thanks for posting today.I WILL exercise today,no excuses.
    Mary
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    I am 65 years old and need and would like encouragement, and advice. Trying to get my health back. Need to lose at least 80lbs. Don't want any more excuses like I'm just a food addict, I just can't eat sugar or any other excuses. I just over eat and it's time to stop. I also need to exercise. I have been sitting for as long as I can remember. I don't like to exercise, but that excuse won't fly any longer either. Is there anyone out there that's wants to get on this wagon with me?

Hi, glad to see this "seniors losing weight" group. I need to lose 50 pounds and I have lost 10 of it so far but it is a daily battle. Exercise for me coming up soon. Want to lose 8 more pounds before I put my knees to the test.
  • Faldkats
    Options
    I'm thinking I need to lower my daily calorie goal. In the past I always needed to get down to 1200. However, based on what all the diet and fitness websites say, I am supposed to be able to lose on anywhere from 0 to 1800. NOT! I noticed that some of you have taken it down to 1200. I've been on 1500, but it's really slow going. What do you think?
  • Faldkats
    Options
    Gayle, I am like you. I hate exercise. However, I have managed to get over to the Wellness Center 2 or 3 times a week and put in 40 minutes. Getting out the door is the hard part for me. I have let my daily morning routine control my life. Get up, check emails and Facebook, do my morning devotions, shower and get ready for the day. I don't want to go over to the Wellness Center until I do my hair and all that stuff. By the time I feel ready to step out of the house, I don't want to go. So last night I thought I would just set aside the clothes I wore yesterday and jump into them. Forget the shower and hair until I get back. I live in a very small town on an Indian reservation where no one cares what I look like at that time of the morning anyway. We have a beautiful Wellness Center run by the Coeur d'Alene Indian Tribe. It is fully equipped and right across the street from my home. I have observed how all my neighbors look at that time of day. I couldn't be any worse!! Besides, if I should actually start sweating, I'd have to do my hair over again anyway. So I need to quit being a slave to my schedule and just do the exercise thing.
  • merrygrannie
    Options
    Good morning.
    Faldkats-i'm so glad you're going to the Wellness Center.I wish there was one close to here.As far as lowing your calorie intake,I have been on 1200 calories since I started on MFP because that's what they recommended.Since I've been on this plateau for about a month i don't know whether to lower it or go to maybe 1300 calories.
    Gayle-I have been busy these last few days working with my sister on her yard sale.Because of health problems my sisters and I decided we would declutter her house and make some money for her to put toward repairing her roof.I'm I ever glad that's over!Now I'm working on the one at our Church hall.It's not until Sept 19th but there is soooo much stuff to go through.Possibly another one in Oct.I've gotten off track on exercising and posting my food.I started again yesterday.
    I wonder why we don't like to exercise?We feel better once we do it and we know it's good for us.Is it because we have to make time for it? Isn't it ironic that the things that are good for us ,healthy eating and exercise,we have a hard time doing?
    I hope you ladies have a good day.
    Mary