vegetarian and middle-aged - what modifications make sense?

Options
Trishe57
Trishe57 Posts: 13 Member
Hi all,

I am 57. I want to try this metabolic reset, and I've read that I should go up on my activity estimation, so I put myself at "moderate". I have a desk job, but walk a lot around the work campus, I practice yoga, walk dogs, hop on the elliptical for 30 minutes a day.

I don't lift weights anymore, and I refuse to go to a gym. Whatever I do has to be done at home (I live out of town, and need to get home to my dogs after work).

So for us older folks, can we trust the calculator? 1800 calories seems a LOT, especially since I eat so much fiber due to being vegetarian. Maintenance for the reset is over 2000. I literally would have to be eating constantly. =)

I did a search for vegetarians, but I didn't see any come up for this group. I'd love to hear from any of you that are:
a) older,
b) vegetarian,
c) some combination of the two

Thanks!

Replies

• AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Well, I am "older" (i.e. 51) and vegetarian (although I do eat fish and eggs). I think most people generally fall into that Moderate activity category, and that seems appropriate for you too with that level of activity. I also have a sedentary desk job, my exercise involves strength training 4 days a week and hiking two days a week. After doing a re-set, I was able to get to the point where I can eat at (and maintain at) 2,200 calories a day, on average.

As far as getting in the calories I find that nuts, nut butters and some dried fruits help a lot when I am short... Avocados are great too as is full fat dairy. I also add flax seed meal and/or chia seeds to most of my meals, and that is good for a couple of hundred calories without being overly bulky (added to shakes or over Greek yogurt or sprinkled on salads).

Feel free to add me if you like : )
    Anitra
  • Trishe57
    Options
    Thanks Anitra!

I started yesterday, though I didn't get to the 2000 mark. What I did do was change my weight loss in MFP to 1 pound a week, and attempted to eat back my exercise. I failed, but today I'm on better track. =)

I eat eggs, but dairy and I don't get along. I have been using Chia and Flax too, so thanks for those suggestions. I think some protein powders, like raw meal or some of those others may add protein and calories too.

I'm very excited to try this. I went to bed, slept great, woke up easily. Between yoga and the weights I keep at home, I should add some muscle mass. I really look forward to having more energy and zest, as much as to losing weight!
  • Trishe57
    Options
    I'm really not sure I can do this. I'm just not hungry enough to eat that much! I am upping the weight training, so maybe it will kick in. I mean, I can barely clear the 1200 calorie mark unless I eat Indian buffet and increase my red wine intake. I get the feeling that that's not the idea, though.

:wink:

So, I'm going to stick with the MFP plan, and set it to 0.5 lb weight loss, and do more strength training. Maybe the need to eat more will kick in soon, if I keep up with the weight workouts.