80/15/5 too much fat?

Options
I have a quick question! I started out doing wonderful on keto! I felt amazing and was consistently losing fat (I could actually see a difference in 4 weeks) lately I haven't felt full, I have been craving sweets, and I actually gained. Today I decided to do strict induction style eating and my fat intake hit 81% after that I felt AMAZING again (like a burst of energy) I looked at my food diary from the beginning of my keto lifestyle (beginning of April) and saw that my fat intake was between 78 and 80 most of those days. So now my question is can I keep my macros at 80/15/5 or is that too much fat?

Replies

• tabithamason
    Options
    My macros tend to be more like 80/15/5 than 70/25/5, 75/20/5, etc... Eating higher fat keeps me satisfied longer and makes me feel better overall. I think macros are based on the individual--keep trying to find what works for you, and then go for it!
  • bchavis2012
    Options
    Thank u so much. I do feel better overall with 80/15/5 glad to know I'm not just going overboard! I think I will stick with this!
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    80/15/5 is not too much fat nor too little protein - especially for a woman. It's my experience most women are more successful with 80/15 fat/protein than with 75/20.

For men they may need a bit more protein - especially if exercising. Anywhere from 75/20/5 to 65/30/5 is quite reasonable for men depending on their activity.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    I target 80/15/5, but I have flexibility to go for 70/25/5 or 70/20/10. 80/15/5 works better for me because I eat lot of calories, if you eat less calories you might want to bump up protein a bit. Remember minimum protein requirement is a fixed range not a percentage.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I do not think percentage the way to look at things. Depending on your body( height weight etc), you total calorie goals can be differ a lot. Different calorie goal can change a lot on the % while keeping protein / carb level constant.
    For example I average ~95g protein( =0.8 per lb of LBM) and 30 g carb which I think is appropriate regardless of my calorie goal.
    Consuming this protein & carb level with 2250 calories comes out to 80f/15p/5c,
    Consuming this protein & carb level with 1500 calories comes out to 70/23p/7c,
    Consuming this protein & carb level with 1200 calories comes out to 68/32p/10c,

Percentages are totally meaningless without the total calorie consumption
  • bchavis2012
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I know 80/15/5 is working scale was down 2lbs today and my jeans feel baggy again lol. Im not hungry and all is right with the world!
  • GinaLivinLaKetoLoco
    GinaLivinLaKetoLoco Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was going to say, that mine are 80-15-5 too, but many replied the same lol.. Sounds like your back on track!!!! WTG :flowerforyou:
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    How much protein do we need?
  • SnowFlinga
    SnowFlinga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    1g of protein per kg of LBM minimum - more if you're highly active (up to 1.5g/kg).
  • cakeribs
    cakeribs Posts: 22
    Options
    Can someone please explain how protein is 1g per 1kg even if you are trying to lose weight? Let's say I'm at 80kg and want to drop to 70kg.

Would I really need to eat 80g of protein??
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    1g of protein per kg of LBM minimum - more if you're highly active (up to 1.5g/kg).
    For men this is true, but women are generally fine at 0.8g per kg of body weight. Yes, more if exercising heavily.

Another rule-of-thumb ... the OLDER you get, the more protein you require.
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I also do 80/15/5, and it works well for me. And the ratio is actually more important than calorie for how our bodies use it.
  • MikeEnRegalia
    MikeEnRegalia Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have a quick question! I started out doing wonderful on keto! I felt amazing and was consistently losing fat (I could actually see a difference in 4 weeks) lately I haven't felt full, I have been craving sweets, and I actually gained. Today I decided to do strict induction style eating and my fat intake hit 81% after that I felt AMAZING again (like a burst of energy) I looked at my food diary from the beginning of my keto lifestyle (beginning of April) and saw that my fat intake was between 78 and 80 most of those days. So now my question is can I keep my macros at 80/15/5 or is that too much fat?

It's not bad for maintenance, but if you want to lose body fat then you'll have to cut the dietary fat, so that the body can use fat from its own reserves. Of course that then means that the other macros will increase on a percent base ... but that's perfectly fine, as long as you're (temporarily) cutting calories.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options

It's not bad for maintenance, but if you want to lose body fat then you'll have to cut the dietary fat, so that the body can use fat from its own reserves. Of course that then means that the other macros will increase on a percent base ... but that's perfectly fine, as long as you're (temporarily) cutting calories.

Not true.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options

LOL! Not true. Eat fat to lose fat.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    When I used a keto calculator and it said if you're not working out heavily, which I'm not that protein can go to 0.6g. Is that too low? I have my macros set at 80/15/5 but occasionally will do 75/20/5. My protein is always low. I have a hard time reaching my protein requirements. Most days I'm under 60g of protein. Is that too low? My fat is always at or above my macro so thats not an issue.
  • MaitaAtienzaDiaz
    MaitaAtienzaDiaz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I go for 70/20/10 but sometimes see myself going 82-85% some days and it doesn't feel like too much especially since I rarely go over 1,500 calories anyway. It's just that it's really hard to overeat on our diet.
  • croooz
    croooz Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You have the data of what worked. The 80/15/5 is fine if that is what works for you. As is weightloss, ketosis is individual and requires a bit of experimentation on your part. I'm undergoing a "Leptin Reset Protocol" which requires at least 50-75 grams of protein for breakfast. In order to keep my keto profile I eat double the fat grams. So this morning I had 60 grams protein and 123 of fat. I haven't delved into the science of it all just yet. I'm doing this with and for my wife since she's been eating a ketogenic diet for weeks and she's still starving during the day and craving sweets. So I upped her fat intake and nothing changed. Now she's eating 50 grams for breakfast and roughly 100 grams of fat. This puts her approximately 79/18/3 for that meal. I've read of others who have gone LCHF and stalled and this protocol seems to do the trick. However if just changing the percents is working then do that. If you stall for a couple months then look into Jack Kruse's Leptin Reset protocol.
  • ali59oc
    ali59oc Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I stalled awhile back for quite a few weeks. I upped my protein and lowered my fat and it definitely got me out of the stall and I lost quite a bit. HOWEVER, I also noticed my asthma came back, my joints hurt and I had no energy. So now I'm at 70/25/5 and have noticed the energy is back full force and my inflammation issues have disappeared. I do worry about the protein because my hair was falling out when I was not paying attention to the protein. I try for 70g of protein a day.
  • MikeEnRegalia
    MikeEnRegalia Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Can someone please explain how protein is 1g per 1kg even if you are trying to lose weight? Let's say I'm at 80kg and want to drop to 70kg.

Would I really need to eat 80g of protein??

The body can burn protein for calories. However, it prefers not to. Independently of whether you're trying to lose body fat, your body needs dietary protein mostly for repairing tissue. Each day, cells in your body are dying and need to be replaced, and even in the cells which aren't dying, parts break and need to be repaired.

How much protein you need depends on your lean body mass (total weight minus fat) and how active you are - if you do a lot of weight training you need a little bit more protein because the body needs more to repair muscle cells.

You said you want to "lose weight". I suppose you want to lose fat, not muscle, bone or organs. To prevent lean body mass loss, you need to continue to eat the amount of protein your body needs, and that's at least 1g per kg of lean body mass, or more like 1.5g if you're very active.

As an aside: Since the body won't burn that amount of protein for fuel, it shouldn't really contribute to your total caloric intake - but on MFP it is. For the typical person that's 100g of protein or 400 kcal. So if you eat in a caloric balance according to MFP statistics and you eat the optimum amount of protein, you're actually eating 400 kcal less than you expend.