Something Sweet and something salty

Options
lstpaul
lstpaul Posts: 2,013 Member
My biggest challenge is craving something sweet at night. I like to minimize my use of artificial sweeteners, so that makes it even harder - I do use Stevia occasionally. Any sweet treat ideas that aren't super high carb?

Another challenge for me is that I love cheese and crackers ... any ideas for low-carb crackers or other things to put cheese on?

Thanks all!

Replies

• BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    For sweet, when I'm keep carbs low/very low, I'll do either sugar-free Jello or a small handful of raspberries topped with some Cool Whip or whipped cream and some slivered almonds. I know that doesn't totally keep out the artificial sweeteners, but it's not TOO bad.

Also, why not combine your cheese and crackers? Take some good grated parmesan cheese (aka, NOT the stuff in the green canister, get the fresh stuff, but you do want the kind that's grated to a powder), line a baking sheet with parchment or a Silpat, drop the cheese on in about tablespoon sized lumps, bake at 400 for around 4 or 5 minutes (watch them carefully, though!). They come out like crackers :). You can even add a bit of spices - garlic, cayenne, cracked black pepper, whatever - if you want.
  • lstpaul
    lstpaul Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas! I'm going to try the parmesan 'crackers' tonight!
  • MissyAZjourney
    MissyAZjourney Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    ive seen some recipes for sweet roasted almonds on pinterest. like the ones you get at the fair and such? dont know why i can't think of what they are called. lol
    i think you would have to use art. sweetner tho.