What are you doing to drop the weight?

Options
kayjosh2422
kayjosh2422 Posts: 864 Member
I love hearing how others are taking on this journey, so tell us what you have changed in your life, what has worked and what hasn't. For me I really try to eat as clean as I can, I stay away from dining out as much as I can and since I love to cook it really isn't that hard. I have bad knees so exercise is what is a challenge for me. I walk daily for anywhere from 25 minutes or an hour. It's just a slow process!

Replies

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    What has worked for me was logging all of my food in MFP even on the weekends. Cutting down my wine intake to like once twice a month and exercising at lest 6 days a week. I dont get on the scale because if i see a gain or no progress I just give up. So I am usually good with staying on track if I dont think about it too much and just DO it.

I dont like stressing over food or my weight because if I am too consumed thinking about it then I just dont follow through at all.
  • jsherrill0613
    jsherrill0613 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I log everything! Keeping myself accountable has really worked for me! Also see how much weight others have lost has been inspirational and motivational! I also exercise 5-7 days a week. I usually do Zumba. I stay at or below my calorie go and watch my other macro-nutrients. I have joined a few groups to add to my participation of this journey. I enjoy adding new friends too and reading their posts. It is a good feeling that I am not doing this alone. The weeks that I don't lose very much weight I measure and the difference is seen there. I started out weighing myself once a week until I was used to the idea of weight fluctuating, it will through out the day too. Now, some days I weigh myself once or a few times but it just depends on my daily activity. Of course there are some days I don't weigh at all but I usually will only log it once or twice a week. :smile:
  • tuckeychicken
    tuckeychicken Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I am on The Fast Metabolism Diet and it is working for me so far. I have lost about six pounds on this diet. I also have not ben eating corn, refinded sugars, glutens or drinking soda. Ihave been drinking loads of water as well. I may go back to eating some of these things after the diet is over, but I will probably limit myself on them. So far so good. I am still eating healthy and nutritiious foods and lots of them, so I am happy so far with this diet. :drinker:
  • lishaalexis
    lishaalexis Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I am trying to eat "cleaner" and adding more cardio at the moment then once I start to loose a significant amount then I will go back to lifting again to help shape myself up again. It is just a long journey and being on leave for like a month really killed my progess and I am no longer in the double digits for loss and it makes me sad but driven at the same time to get back down where I should be.
  • jallysquared
    jallysquared Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    For me my problem is weekends, where I drink (too much!) wine! So for me, I'm exercising 5-6 days a week, and trying to eat well Monday to Friday. I allow myself to break out a little at the weekends, becuase if I don't have treats, I won't stick to it.

I'm trying to change my lifestyle rather than diet... diets just don't work for me, once I feel deprived I'll binge!!
  • tuckeychicken
    tuckeychicken Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    For me my problem is weekends, where I drink (too much!) wine! So for me, I'm exercising 5-6 days a week, and trying to eat well Monday to Friday. I allow myself to break out a little at the weekends, becuase if I don't have treats, I won't stick to it.

I'm trying to change my lifestyle rather than diet... diets just don't work for me, once I feel deprived I'll binge!!
    Wow that's great just be sure not to go too crazy on the weekends lol. I think after my 28 diet thing I will stick close to this plan as well, but with a little of my own tweaking. Thanks for sharing this sound like a great plan.:smile:
  • jhall1255
    jhall1255 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Ive been obsessively logging everything and measuring! that's also key! I take pictures of myself instead of constantly weighing and I go to the gym mon-fri for at least 45 mins.
  • Raaynn
    Raaynn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I cut out almost all grains because my blood sugars were staying in the 200s for 3 hours or more. they have been beautiful since and ive lost 26 lbs already. I work out a few times a week, I like to hike and am starting kayaking, I like to mix it up a bit :) I am only 5'4 so I look like I weigh a lot more than I do. I like to say im shaped like an egg, all my weight on my midsection. I hope to be able to wear some nice slimming sweaters this winter. it has been several years since ive been able to fit into any.
  • ribeenajenkins
    Options
    I am logging absolutely everything I find it makes me think twice before I eat as I don't want to log it.

Other than that trying to eat clean and healthy. I have joined a facebook page for mums that want to lose weight and find it helps, they also have a 28 day challenge where they provide all meals and exercises for $29.95 aussie dollars every 2 months. (challenges run every two months) next one starts in September so if I feel I need the help I might try that. I thought at first I will try do it on my own and keep my hard earned cash to myself lol.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    When I count calories, I lose. When I don't, I gain. My weight over the last 20 years:

154 -> 197 -> 170 -> 202 -> 170 -> 180 -> 159 -> 175

So I'm back to counting calories, running, and trying to work in some resistance exercises.

Good luck everyone.
  • CrimsonDiva7
    CrimsonDiva7 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    When I first started MFP I logged religiously, weighed and measured food consistently and worked out everyday. I lost 40 pounds but I wasnt working so it was easy to focus. Ive been in maintenance mode but now ready to lose the last few pounds. Walking, Kickboxing, Zumba and Kettle bells are my go to workouts.
  • ncjsquared
    ncjsquared Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm new to MFP, so bear with me! Preplanning meals and bringing both breakfast and lunch to work has helped me. We have a great cafeteria downstairs, so I can always pick up a salad; however, if I make my own at home I'm FAR less tempted to put a few tablespoons of this or that on it. I also make a huge batch of spicy vegetable/cabbage soup that is filling without having too many calories. Of course, this is easy to do since I don't have anyone but myself to cook for!!!
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    gonna try to eat basically veggies… and exercise more...
  • coquinat
    coquinat Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Logging everything, and eating more protein dense foods.. chicken, eggs, yogurt etc. has been working for me.

Oh and I can't forget to mention lifting weights!!
  • kayjosh2422
    kayjosh2422 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Logging everything, and eating more protein dense foods.. chicken, eggs, yogurt etc. has been working for me.

Oh and I can't forget to mention lifting weights!!

I've only done cardio, can you share what kind of weight training you have been doing and how often?
  • bangbangchoochootrain
    Options
    Workout: I started Stronglifts 5x5, and recently just decided to start Ease Into 5K so I can be ready for the Providence Color Run in October. I do them on alternate days. I also play volleyball with my friends, joined a dance group this summer, and when I'm back at home from school I bike downtown and back to save money on train fare because #brokecollegestudent. If I'm not doing either of those, I use Nike Training Club to do my workouts. I hate making my own.

Food: I log as accurately as I can, but when I'm at school I obviously can't use a food scale so I mostly eyeball. I try to make healthy choices and stay within my 1800 calorie limit, which I will re-assess after about the 6 week mark, which will be the beginning of next semester.

Motivation: For long-term motivation, mini-goals! I have some that are weight based (heat rate monitor at half way point, new shoes at 15 pounds), and others that are endurance/time based (color-run in 8 weeks, thrift store shopping "spree" at sixteen weeks, why do all of these cost me money I should think of new ones haha) For short term motivation, I definitely make schedules, or if I'm not scheduled, i'll tell people "I'm going to workout at 2:00" so that I feel some sort of accountability.
  • MysteriousUndead
    Options
    I'm logging everything, watching what I eat, avoid sweets at all costs and I'm dong workouts I find online, such as fitnessblender.

Also, I'm going to try to avoid anything with "high fructose corn syrup" or anything with artificial chemicals because that can cause your body to store more fat.
  • lillypad13
    lillypad13 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am doing the C25k and logging everything I eat. I'm a contractor, so I eat out A LOT. It is awful. I am also a slow loser, which is discouraging, but I press on. Started at 209.4 July 2014- 199.5 right now. Slow and steady wins the race!
  • VenusSparks
    Options
    Logging everything I eat and when I go out and OVEREAT (which sadly happens to me a lot lol) I make sure I burn them calories throughout the week. I make sure to go to the gym 3 times a week for 1-2 hours at least and on other days I utilize different workout videos (taebo, Just Dance, Walk Away the Pounds, Jillian Michaels). I want to do a lot better with eating. I eat healthy foods 80% of the time and I'm trying to figure out how to curb my sugary needs :)
  • gettingsexy94
    gettingsexy94 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Currently doing T25, will try to add more as time goes by :) Oh and I try to eat withing 1500-1700, cals but I exceed quite a lot, so I need to focus, and not stray away from my goal.

Good luck to everyone!