What does your off-season plan look like?

Options
KathleenKP
KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
What will you do once race season is over for the year?

Replies

• dolcezza72
    dolcezza72 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Not sure yet, but I need to get one figured out! I am interested to hear what everyone else is doing!
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Probably a couple weeks completely off then a month of just bike training and the weight room and then Ironman Texas training starts.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Mostly basketball and lifting. I'll keep riding as long as the weather allows, but at some point that ends. Running tapers off greatly once the weather turns, but never completely stops.
  • wpayers
    wpayers Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I live in Florida so race season is nearly year round. The weather isn't a factor. Some folks never stop. There are tri's scheduled every month so you can just keep racing.

Personally, my season is Feb through Nov. I switch to longer slow runs in Dec and Jan and cut back on the bike. No competition during these months provide a critical mental break. I swim year round.
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    great question for the thread! i have a 60-mile ride goal before the end of the season and i'm running a 15K in early november so i probably won't change much until after those are complete, except i might swim less to accommodate training for those goals. it will be winter after that so i'll be almost completely indoors until mid-march. i plan to join a master's swim class and i'd like to get in the weight room and back to yoga as well. i haven't lifted or done yoga since i started training in january.
  • dolcezza72
    dolcezza72 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I started a cross fit type class with a personal trainer today I committed to a year,I am also planning a master's swim class, bike on the trainer and I really need to work on running..... how do I fit all this in?
  • KathleenKP
    Options
    I started a cross fit type class with a personal trainer today I committed to a year,I am also planning a master's swim class, bike on the trainer and I really need to work on running..... how do I fit all this in?

That's the kind of thing I ran into last year, and I failed at cutting back. So...my body hasn't benefitted from recovery time. It seems like it should work, until I get down to actually scheduling everything and fitting it *all* in and find I didn't cut back at all.
  • KathleenKP
    Options
    great question for the thread! i have a 60-mile ride goal before the end of the season and i'm running a 15K in early november so i probably won't change much until after those are complete, except i might swim less to accommodate training for those goals. it will be winter after that so i'll be almost completely indoors until mid-march. i plan to join a master's swim class and i'd like to get in the weight room and back to yoga as well. i haven't lifted or done yoga since i started training in january.

Have you signed up for your first Half-Iron yet? You sound like you are headed that direction pretty quickly.
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options

Have you signed up for your first Half-Iron yet? You sound like you are headed that direction pretty quickly.

Woah there! Haha. I don't think I'm cut out for those distances. My first Oly is next weekend so let's see if I survive that first :)
  • smc0170
    smc0170 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Great post...my last race for the year is this Sunday (two counts as a season), and was curious what others did.

For me, I'm planning on mostly lifting with a little bit of yoga/pilates thrown in. I'll try to swim a little bit here and there, but I'm definitely giving my legs a little time off from cardio. I can start em again after the holidays :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I *should* get back into yoga and make a more legitimate attempt to improve my swim. But will I? Doubtful.
  • djbrink21
    djbrink21 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Just started this madness this year (but boy has the bug bit me good). The weight loss has been great.

My goals as the weather gets colder.

- Continue to lose weight down to 180-200 (exact goal tbd)
    - Hit the weight room and get in some heavy lifting
    - Take a masters swim class
    - Take at least 1 spin class a week to keep my biking legs in shape

Going to try to continue running as long as I can convince myself to get outside (I loath the treadmill) and since I swim indoors that should continue all winter long.
  • EnduranceGirl2
    EnduranceGirl2 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm going to work on my swimming. My swim coach has more or less told me that I am no longer allowed to blame my slow swimming on bad technique and that I just need to stop being a wuss in the water. 100 m intervals, here I come.
  • EnduranceGirl2
    EnduranceGirl2 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Cave woman 15, Racing is addictive. The half- iron is waiting
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Tell me more about this "off season". I only know "marathon training season" and "triathlon training season".:laugh:
  • scott091501
    Options
    I'm going to work on my swimming. My swim coach has more or less told me that I am no longer allowed to blame my slow swimming on bad technique and that I just need to stop being a wuss in the water. 100 m intervals, here I come.

30 x 100 workouts are awesomely puke inducing.
  • scott091501
    Options
    Tell me more about this "off season". I only know "marathon training season" and "triathlon training season".:laugh:

Oh runners. One winter you're not going to race anything over a half and spend a boatload of time on the bike trainer and then all of a sudden the next spring you'll be a beast in local tris.