Just found this group, am I on the right track?

Options
Quick about me- 48yr old mom. 5ft 8in. Lost almost 100lbs 6 years ago- maintained at 137-140lbs, developed bulimia been in recovery for almost 3 years. Gained 20lbs back. Most of last year and 6months of this year I was eating 1200-1300 kcals , heavy weight training 5 times a week and a lot of cardio, lost 12 lbs but then regained it during the spring even though my diet was consistent. ( i did binge on a few occasions this year-less than once a month) now weigh 153lbs
A month ago I realised that my metabolism had slowed and needed to do something about it. I cut all cardio out- today I am doing a spin class as I enjoy it I still lift heavy 3-4 times a week although my strength and energy has taken a dive over the last three months.
I immediately upped to 1500kcals( I gained 3.5lbs in the first week), and have been adding 50 kcals every Monday( going slowly as ED issues have me scared of gaining any more) This week I am adding 100 kcals as I've added a cardio class( more exercise =more food , right?)
I was eating 2300-2500 and maintaining before so thought I should aim at that.
I haven't worked out my BMR or TDEE yet but think that should be the next step.
A few days ago I found this group and have downloaded the starter pack- the next few days reading.
I appreciate any advice and help, feel I stumbling in the dark- feels very wrong to be eating more, training less- working against my goal! I need to change my thoughts on this!

I forgot to add I eat a low carb high fat diet, I have issues with digestion due to damage caused by bulimia, I prefer to continue eating like this but if eating a small amount of carbs will help this reset then I can.

I hope I've posted in the right place

Replies

• jaeone
    jaeone Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Hi Karryann we are glad to have you here!
    Thats great you have already increased your calories, i do recommend going to Scooby and calculating your BMR and TDEE. You are a prime candidate for a reset.
    At your height and weight, you are already at a healthy weight! So lifting heavy, as you said you have started, will shape your body. Continue to Focus on body composition by lifting and fueling your body. You mentioned fats and carbs but, definitely make sure you you are eating protein. If possible increase your carbs, little by little, like you are doing your calories. As your body heals, you should be able to eat the recommended amount of carbs over time. As Jenny stated and as you read or will read in the Starter kit, macros are recommended 40% carbs , 30% protein and 30% fat.
    Be patient with this process, it will take time . Right now, Your focus now should be on healing your relationship with food , so don't stress too much over numbers.

Read the success stories on EM2WL.com and visit the forums there for support!!

You can also add me for support .
  • karryann2008
    Options
    Thank you for replying, i appreciate the support
    I've calculated my BMR 1406 and TDEE 2425, so I was on the right track with where I was aiming.
    I'm half way through the starting guide now, very enlightening information and guidance. Off to read some more:happy: