Frustrated and need advice please

Options
Hi

I posted this on another forum but have just joined this grup and thought some of you guys could help me...

I was annoyed to find out this morning I have put on 2lb even though all of last week I worked my backside off doing exercise and eating healthily (2 exercise DVDs a day plus 1 dog walk of 40 minutes). I have also started C25K.

Some stats:
Height: 5'9
Female age: 34
Current weight: 235lb

I weigh my food and log correctly. MFP set me at 1530 calories to lose 1.5lbs per week. I eat 1/2 of my exercise calories.

Should I re-jig my numbers and look at TDEE -20% which would mean I would be eating 2220 calories a day? Or should I set my own goal as my BMR which is 1830 a day and eat 1/2 my exercise calories back?

I'm so annoyed!

Replies

• KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but one week is not a long enough time for data collection. Could be anything, but is probably water, if you only just started exercising that much on the reg.

TDEE vs. MFP settings is all up to your personal preferences. The only major problem with MFP's settings is you're supposed to eat back your exercise calories, and the site's activity entries overestimate calorie burn, which sometimes results in overeating.

I prefer TDEE. 2250 is probably a good place to start, maybe try for a month or so (charting your progress), and if you need to readjust, do so. If you don't lose anything in a whole month, then slowly back down calories until you do.

Cheers!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So you started a new exercise routine that is burning more carbs, guess what the body's response is?
    Store more carbs.
    Carbs store with water in muscles. You got what your training asked for. Likely increased blood volume.

Both TDEE deficit method and MFP method will end up about the same as far as number - IF, if you take the same reasonable deficit in MFP as TDEE would cause.
    Which you aren't.

In addition, you are creating bigger deficit only eating back 1/2 exercise calories.

Depends on your motivation. Does needing to burn more in order to eat more motivate you most. Or does have a plan with expected exercise amounts to eat the same daily motivate you the most.
    And which is easier for planning?
    Which goal will you really meet? Keep missing your goal on either and it's NOT better.

Like your do walk, if you actually are honest on the time, and pace, is very accurate for calorie burn, more than a HRM would be.
    Log it honestly and eat it all back.
    The C25K, if logged honestly, is the same thing, log and eat it all back.

You also need to separate 2 things that are very different purposes.

Diet is for weight loss - done right just fat loss, done wrong muscle mass loss. You are doing more of the latter part there sadly.
    Exercise is for body improvements and heart health - done right can support fat loss, done wrong can encourage muscle mass loss. If those DVD's is cardio only, you are getting the latter one here too, not good combo.

Only thing exercise does for diet is increase the amount you burn daily, so when you eat less than that, it is hopefully high enough you'll still adhere to it. Compared to eating level when you don't exercise, could be so low you'd have trouble following it.

If you do the TDEE method because you want 1 number daily, and that motivates you to do your workouts, or they are being done no matter what, then count your walking time as 1/2 what you actually do - because it's not a heavy workout.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1018770-better-rough-tdee-estimate-than-5-level-chart
  • Jennbecca33
    Jennbecca33 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Hi there and welcome to EM2WL. Simply put, you are under eating for your activity level and your body is stressed due to your excessive workouts and eating too little - your body is holding on to everything you eat.

EM2WL recommends no greater than a 15% deficit from your TDEE for weight loss. For your activity level (which is currently strenuous with your workouts), your TDEE would be around 3164 and with a 15% cut, you would eat 2689 calories every day. If you would rather use MFP to calculate your calories, set it to lose 1 pound a week and eat back ALL of your exercise calories, not half of them. Better than this would be for you to cut down on some of your exercise because it is actually all working against you right now. More is not better in this case! There is really no need to do 2 exercise DVD's everyday plus additional walking. For example, you could try one exercise DVD with a daily walk 5 days a week and give yourself 2 rest days a week. Replacing some of your cardio with strength training would even be better. Recalculate your TDEE using the Scooby site if you choose to lower your activity a bit.

Setting MFP to lose 1.5 pounds a week and then only eating back 1/2 of your exercise calories is giving you way too large of a deficit and your body is telling you it's not going to cooperate doing that...it's just not sustainable. You can slowly start increasing your calories up to that 15% cut and I'm sure you'll feel much better and start seeing much better results. :)

Good luck and post back here if you need further help!
  • lemurwaffle
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I suspected I may not be eating enough so I'll be interested to see how eating more works out over the coming months. I'd not thought about 2 DVDs being too much but when alongside the dog walking I guess it is!

I have set my goal as TDEE -15% and will be doing 3-5 hours a week of exercise (likely 5) with 2 rest days. That brings my daily calorie goal as 2413.

Thanks for the replies!
  • Jennbecca33
    Options
    Those are some beneficial changes and I think that sounds like a bit more reasonable plan! :) If you haven't already seen it, here's a great thread below to check out on what to expect when increasing your calories. Feel free to add me for support too!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience
  • heybales
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I suspected I may not be eating enough so I'll be interested to see how eating more works out over the coming months. I'd not thought about 2 DVDs being too much but when alongside the dog walking I guess it is!

I have set my goal as TDEE -15% and will be doing 3-5 hours a week of exercise (likely 5) with 2 rest days. That brings my daily calorie goal as 2413.

Thanks for the replies!

Depends on how long and intense the DVD's are with current level of fitness.

They could be 2 x 30 min of walking along with Leslie - that is not intense nor too much if you've been walking the dog for years already.

They could be 2 x 60 min of Insanity and P90X - that could be way too much especially if you just started walking the dog too from totally sedentary just a month ago.

And be aware when adding the time, walking 1 hr is obviously not the same calorie burn as running 1 hr as lifting 1 hr, ect. Walking counts as 1/2 time in those charts - or you with lots of walking will be overeating. 1 hr of walking counts as 30 min in the TDEE charts.

Extra fat gain isn't a benefit in any way.
  • lemurwaffle
    Options
    It was a kettlebell DVD and the 30 Day Shred or a boxing DVD.

Kettlebell 25 mins, 30 Day Shred 20 mins and boxing 25 mins long.

I've been walking the dogs for a few years now too.

I also don't class myself as fit (although I lifted weights last year and managed about 40kg), but definitely not fit.
  • Jennbecca33
    Options
    Heybales is right...it does depend on the length and intensity of the DVD's. Those are shorter DVD's time wise, but still physically exerting. I think where I sensed your tiredness/frustration was when you said "I worked my backside off doing exercise" and usually when you feel that way (especially when not eating enough to fuel you workouts), then you need to back off the exercise a little or for sure eat more to fuel those workouts if you want to stay at that activity level...otherwise at some point your body will just physically get tired and you won't be able to continue at that pace...something has to give you know. I have several Jillian DVD's and shreds and they are pretty intense! If you enjoy it, then just make sure to eat according to your activity level. And the dog walks are just adding to your NEAT - which is still contributing to a too large deficit if you are already not eating enough!
  • lemurwaffle
    Options
    So is eating 2413 calories a day ok? That's my TDEE minus 15%.
  • heybales
    Options
    Still going to do 5 days of 50 min of DVD workouts?
    Still 7 days of 40 min dog walk, or about 140 min TDEE time?
    Still doing C25K for the 30 min 3 x weekly?
    This is assuming an otherwise sedentary desk job/commute for 45 hrs weekly, if actually more active than that counts more too.

250 min + 140 min + 90 min = 480 min, or 8 hrs weekly?

The normal TDEE chart uses the formula for hours

(Weekly movement hrs x 0.0875) + 1.2 = Activity Factor

Activity Factor 1.9 x 1830 BMR = 3477 TDEE

TDEE 3477 x 0.85 = 2955 daily eating goal.
  • lemurwaffle
    Options
    Still going to do 5 days of 50 min of DVD workouts?
    Still 7 days of 40 min dog walk, or about 140 min TDEE time?
    Still doing C25K for the 30 min 3 x weekly?
    This is assuming an otherwise sedentary desk job/commute for 45 hrs weekly, if actually more active than that counts more too.

250 min + 140 min + 90 min = 480 min, or 8 hrs weekly?

The normal TDEE chart uses the formula for hours

(Weekly movement hrs x 0.0875) + 1.2 = Activity Factor

Activity Factor 1.9 x 1830 BMR = 3477 TDEE

TDEE 3477 x 0.85 = 2955 daily eating goal.

Dog walk of 40 minutes 5 days a week
    C25K 3 times a week
    2 days of 45 mins DVDs (non C25K days)
    3 days of 20 mins DVDs (C25K days)
    And 2 rest days

I enjoy the exercise but if gets too much can amend as necessary.
  • Jennbecca33
    Options
    Sounds like your activity will still fall into the 5-6 hour range, using Scooby with 15% cut would be 2689 daily goal.
  • lemurwaffle
    Options
    Sounds like your activity will still fall into the 5-6 hour range, using Scooby with 15% cut would be 2689 daily goal.

Thanks very much guys. One last question (I promise!). Do I eat 2689 on my rest days also? I got the impression the answer is yes, as TDEE -15% is a daily average?

Thanks again!
  • Jennbecca33
    Options
    Yes, you would eat 2689 even on rest days! When using TDEE method, it spreads your activity calories over the entire week.
  • lemurwaffle
    Options
    Thank you! Just need to work on ways to have more protein now! Decided not to weigh myself for a few weeks and just see what happens!