How many calories do you eat on Shabbat?

Amy3935
Amy3935 Posts: 94 Member
Cute article - obviously there are many ways to not eat like this, but I do find myself eating way more than I ever intended to on Shabbat. Especially when I don't control what's being served, which is often these days.

http://www.drnerman.com/blog/calories-do-count-on-shabbatyour-not-going-to-believe-how-many-we-consume-on-the-sabbath

Replies

• NewSavta
    NewSavta Posts: 19 Member
    Too many!!!!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Really? I find that Shabbos day I am very low. Fridays are harder for me.
  • momRN2B
    momRN2B Posts: 247 Member
    my shabbat menu does not look like that and i dont go to a kiddush on shabbos morning. That said I do eat more on shabbos but i probably average about 2500 on friday and shabbat but i make up for it by eating less during the week and i have been losing weight this way. its all about balance.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    We discussed that on Imamother earlier this summer !!!!
  • NewSavta
    NewSavta Posts: 19 Member
    My meals are under control, but I start noshing in the afternoon.
  • chriamaria
    chriamaria Posts: 76 Member
    I've often tried to stay around 2000 calories on Shabbat. Lately I haven't tracked- especially on Shabbat. I was getting very convicted about doing any form of work. Now that I am really trying to get back on track though I believe that I will pre track Friday morning/afternoon and then reconcile it on sundown Saturday.
  • chriamaria
    chriamaria Posts: 76 Member
    Just read the article- that is an insane amount of food! I only ever eat like that on feast days- not every week!
  • sarabearinaz
    sarabearinaz Posts: 7 Member
    Shabbat is my "free day." I watch what I eat, but on Shabbat I watch it all go in my tummy! I'm always invited somewhere for dinner, so I enjoy as much of the salads and fish as I like. Half my shul are sephardim who raven ashen, so that means there are lots of veggie choices before the main course. That fills me up so that I have no temptation to eat rice and potatoes. I'm mostly vegetarian, so I only eat a token amount of meat at dinner, and then, only because we are supposed to eat meat on Shabbat. By the time we get to dessert, I'm way too full to want anything but a bite or two of fruit.

I have never gained weight over a shabbat, even though I eat what I want. I'm a little nervous about Sukkot though. It's like a progressive eat-fest, and I am invited for lunches AND dinners every day except for a couple of the Chol Ha-Moed days.