I'm gonna do that! (Progress log)

Options
Hello there!

My name's Julia (I'm from Spain so my English will sound weird to you sometimes), and firstly let me say a big "AT LAST!" for all this EM2WL thing. I'm willing to try it, I have been doing my research for several weeks and I'm committed to share with you my progress along this journey.

Let's start with my fitness and dieting background.

Four or five years ago I decided to lose weight. I was 5'7'' (172 cm) and 206 lbs (93 kg). How did I do it? Easy, killing myself with cardio (spinning classes, steps, etc etc) and eating 1000 kcal a day. I lost 73 lbs (33 kgs) in more or less 6 months. You guessed what happened, don't you? I started developing ED, I was tired, fragile, always cold, you name it. I went through endless plateaus, I went through gains and binges, and i decided to change it.

It went like this for more or less 2 years, until I discovered weight lifting. I increased my intake (1500 kcal) and started giving a chance to HIIT, crossfit like routines and lifting. I was in the best shape ever. I was 130 pounds (60 kgs) and lean. But, during the weekends I went though binges and I decided to enrol Paleo, then Keto, then IF, and then everything together. You see, I had always been scared of carbs, I only ate oats, bread or rice before evening, I gave up fruit for a long time. So... I suppose you know what is going on. My ED went on and on and on. All those diets only fed my obsessions and compulsive behaviour.

And what does one do when everything fails? Start again! Oh yes. After Christmas I was weighing 155 lbs and feeling miserable. Cranky, obsessed with food, tired... So why not start low-cal, weekend bingeing, and killing myself with cardio again? I did it. NO LOSS. Then I started thinking, hey maybe it's my metabolism, HAVE I ruined it? Did I change anything? Nope. Just pushing myself.

This has been going on until this summer. 3 weeks ago I started Train to Be Awesome by Nia Shanks (I workout 4 days a week in phase 1) cause I like her style and I want to see an improvement in my performance (unassisted pull-ups here I come!!!) but I want to lose fat to!!!!! So, a change in my diet is needed. Now I have been trying to increase my calories but I just can't, I feel gross at aiming at 1900, but I want to have my cheat meal on saturdays too!!! (anyway, lately as I have increased my intake I have less cravings than before, as I am baking healthy things and getting my fix!).

So why am I telling you all this? Because I want to do this right!
Here are my recent stats:

Weight: 151 lbs (68 kgs)
Height: 5'7'' (172 cm)
Training: 4 days a week Nia Shank's Train to be awesome (40 minutes strenght traing based on compound lifts and conditioning, low reps) and aiming for 10k steps on rest days except sunday (I neeed a rest). Somedays I do yoga or light swimming. So I assume I'm moderately active.
The scooby calculator tells me my TDEE is 2300, but man... I'm so afraid of eating at my TDEE that I go for the 15% cut, that is 1900 (though I normally can't eat more than 1700.

What shall I do? Shall I go up to my TDEE? I will keep you updated weekly. Thanks for reading me and thanks for existing!

Replies

• KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    So first things first, I have a really similar background to you! When I found EM2WL, I probably was at my lowest mental state (trying so hard to re-lose those 10lbs I gained back!)

You definitely fall into the moderately active category, but you'll have to experiment and track your progress once you hit maintenance calories to determine whether you need more or fewer (online calculators are only the ballpark). Up your intake slowly and stay off the scale for a few weeks -- really. You could gain kilos of water weight, but that will go away after a while. Eat at your maintenance for a little while and enjoy! As you lose weight, your maintenance will drop a little bit, so Scooby recommends recalculating every once in a while (not to obsess, but to monitor when progress seems to stall).

I eat around 2300 to maintain my weight, and even though I'm also 155 and needing to lose fat, I stopped "dieting" when I got serious about my weight training this spring. Eventually I'll go back to a slight deficit, but first I want to hit my lifting goals for this summer.

Feel free to friend me, and best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Unless the swimming is long, or the walking is long (it only counts half time for the TDEE chart), I'd suggest round down from Moderately Active to nearest 100, sounds high for strength training, which doesn't burn nearly as much as cardio for equal time.
    Perhaps 2300 was already rounded down, in which case perhaps 2200 would be better.
    Then take 15% deficit, or 1870.

You really sound in between levels, and since the whole 5 levels is based on a formula for hours, there's no reason to not take an in between level.

And then rethink what food you can eat to hit that eating goal. You may have set to many limitations on what you will eat, or perhaps still thinking low carb is needed, or low fat is perhaps.
  • semproniana
    Options
    Thanks for the answers, both are really useful!

Having this said, tomorrow I will start aiming at 2000 calories, slowly increasing until 2200. Next week I will be strenght training 4 days and on the weekend I will go on a trekking trip, maybe spend two days walking in the woods, lakes and stuff. I will not pay attention to calorie counting as much, i will try to eat intuitively, though I'll make sure I have fruits, nuts and proteins for healthy snacks.

My question for the future is, you see, on saturdays I always have a "cheat meal" (or two), maybe nachos, maybe pizza, maybe icecream, maybe my grandma's pasta dish, you name it. Must I get rid of it? Yesterday my boyfriend and I went training, walking, ate well all day, but at night we went crazy on the chili and the oreos, haha! i don't want to stop that, but maybe I assume I should go easy on the amounts? This is what common sense tells me.

Well, I will make sure I check-in often so you can see how it's going.

This saturday morning stats:

Weight: 67 kg (147 lbs)
    Training days: 4 Nia Shanks' Train to be Awesome
    Non-training days: 10k steps, light swimming
    1 rest day
    Aimed for 1900 calories, but not achieved!
    Hunger: normal
    Crankiness: lower than when VLCD
    TMI: started TOM on Saturday
  • heybales
    Options
    If you have some workout done on your cheat meal day - do NOT include the workout in your TDEE estimate.

That way, on that day, you totally eat back the exercise calories because it wasn't included already and spread out over the whole week.

Or, lighten up on breakfast (or skip) and lunch, and allow most the calories to fall in to the 1 meal. Perhaps borrow 100 from day before and day after.
    So you go in to the red on Sat by 200, but stay green by 100 on Fri and Sun.
    Still balance within a 24 hr time block. You body doesn't know midnight and arbitrary changing of days and calorie counts.
  • semproniana
    Options
    If you have some workout done on your cheat meal day - do NOT include the workout in your TDEE estimate.

That way, on that day, you totally eat back the exercise calories because it wasn't included already and spread out over the whole week.

Or, lighten up on breakfast (or skip) and lunch, and allow most the calories to fall in to the 1 meal. Perhaps borrow 100 from day before and day after.
    So you go in to the red on Sat by 200, but stay green by 100 on Fri and Sun.
    Still balance within a 24 hr time block. You body doesn't know midnight and arbitrary changing of days and calorie counts.

That sounds logical and easy to do! I will definitely work on that!!!
  • katykat79
    katykat79 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Ok, since Heybales is already helping you, I don't have anything to add, but I do have to say your English is amazing. You should be teaching American kids how to speak and write! Sorry to get off track:)

Best wishes as you begin this much healthier way to lose weight!
  • semproniana
    Options
    Ok, since Heybales is already helping you, I don't have anything to add, but I do have to say your English is amazing. You should be teaching American kids how to speak and write! Sorry to get off track:)

Thanks for your kindness. Actually, I work as an English teacher in Spain!
  • heybales
    Options

Thanks for your kindness. Actually, I work as an English teacher in Spain!

Ditto's to ability. You could probably get a job easily in many high schools as dual English/Spanish teacher. They are always needing to cut back and do more with less.
  • semproniana
    Options
    Hello again!

As I told you I went on a trip to the mountains, did lots of trekking, uphill walking, and getting absolutely exhausted. The thing is, I went crazy with the food, specially yesterday night and today afternoon. I ate a lot of bread, cheese and sausages, and today I ate a lot of cookies and chocolate, anyway, though, I tried to be nice the rest of the tine, but I was ravenous! Now I'm in a carb coma, I don't feel like having anything for dinner, I just want to sleep and go training tomorrow! Thus, i haven't weighed this week, but I feel horribly bloated, and awful. So, let's move on to next week. Any advice will be really appreciated!
  • heybales
    Options
    Good plan, the extra sodium and water retained can take a week to drop off eating normal levels.

The extra exercise, especially if hot, could have retained more water than you'd normally need for increased blood volume.
  • semproniana
    Options
    Well, the beginning of the week has been quite hard. After a Sunday without resting I started my gym routine, and my workouts have not been amazing at all. I was tired and could not make it to the end, but at least I tried. I have worked out for three days in a row with no rest, aiming at 2000 kcal. My hunger is ok, but I am too tired to see any improvement. Anyway, this week I will be able to work out only 3 days out of 4, but I assume the walking and trekking I will do tomorrow and on Friday will make up for it!

The thing is, tomorrow I go on a trip to Southern France, and so it will involve a lot of walking and sightseeing again. It will only last until Friday night, and I will make sure I rest during the weekend.

Regarding the food, I will try not to go over my goal, but I know on the weekend I have a dinner, so I will do what heybales advised me, trying to be nice until the time comes, not having any snacks and maybe sneak in a little workout with my TRX or a long walk. This time, I have learnt, during the trip (4 hours in a car) I will keep drinking water as if my life depended on it, snack on good protein sources (turkey ham, nuts and a bar are the things i have packed for those two days), and not allowing myself to get hungry!

I don't know whether I should weigh-in or wait until next week, I know the number on the scale tends to affect me negatively.

Any advice will be appreciated! Thanks for reading me!!
  • semproniana
    Options
    Today I weighed myself and I'm up 1 kg, I worked out 4 days and stayed in my calorie range. Maybe is DOMS, I feel very sore. I don't know whether I should lower my intake or keep on going. Again, I have a dinner party today... All these appointments are messing with the diet.

Weight: 68kg
    Training days: 4 Nia Shanks' Train to be Awesome
    Non-training days: 10k walking, rest
    2000kcal a day
  • heybales
    Options
    Invalid weigh-in day - throw the figure out, it's useless. Because you aren't going to be able to wait 2 months for invalid figures to become meaningful by giving a trend line.
    Therefore don't even use it.

Valid weigh-in day to minimize known expected water fluctuations.
    Morning after rest day eating normal (not lower not higher) sodium levels, not sore from last workout.

Keep going, can't base any decision on invalid weigh-in, otherwise you'll be going nuts in maintenance mode thinking a 2 kg change means you need to change your diet.

And with dinner party, sounds like tomorrow morning won't be valid either.
  • semproniana
    Options
    Thanks, I will follow your advice!
  • semproniana
    Options
    More updates: this week has been insane. I tried Crossfit at a local box and it killed me. Anyway, I stuck to myh workout, though the last day I just couldn't finish it, you know... TOM! Again, maybe it gives an invalid number again, but well.

Training days: 3 Nia Shanks' Train to be Awesome + A Crossfit workout + a spinning class
    Non-training days: walking, rest
    2000kcal a day

I went for a beer on saturday night, ate hamburguer and nachos, but walked 15,000 steps and felt like it. I'm wondering something now: have any of you started eating what we consider "off-limit" foods in a normal day to day basis? (I don't mean everyday, but not putting it back for the weekend, but enjoying it when you want).

Another question, should I go for a full reset? (my TDEE is 2300 kcalories).
  • stacibuk
    stacibuk Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate every day and I'm losing a pound a week.
  • semproniana
    Options
    I weighed again after rest day and I'm up 1 kilogram. That puts me on 69 kg. This week I have started eating around 2100 calories. I suppose this is what happens in reset! I will keep you updated. Next week I'm starting phase 2 of my workout program, which will be a 4 day split. Should I make it a whole body workout? Thanks for reading me!
  • heybales
    Options
    I weighed again after rest day and I'm up 1 kilogram. That puts me on 69 kg. This week I have started eating around 2100 calories. I suppose this is what happens in reset! I will keep you updated. Next week I'm starting phase 2 of my workout program, which will be a 4 day split. Should I make it a whole body workout? Thanks for reading me!

If starting lifting, 3 x full body would be best, use the other day for yoga or pilates or cross training that won't interfere with the repair from the lifting. Notice studies referenced under Untrained section.
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Research.html

You'll need those days with rest days between of course.

If lifting over a year, then 2 x upper & 2 x lower body split would be just fine.

So 5 days 1 kg?

Yep, would have to be water weight, you can't be eating that much over maintenance for it to even possibly be fat.
  • ewartluft
    ewartluft Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't have much to offer in the way of advice, but I love that you're updating like this and really working hard to figure out what works best for you body!! You're doing great so far!
  • semproniana
    Options
    It's me again! This week i have been working towards eating 2100, and man somedays it was impossible! I'm making up my mind to go for a full reset and start eating at my TDEE (2300 approx if scooby is right... should I trust it? should I buy a fitbit?). As Heybales wisely pointed out, the gain was probably water weight, so I'm back at 68 kg (after a rest day normal sodium intake) this week.

I also started phase 2 for Nia Shanks' Train to be awesome (4 day split workout). I'm working on strenght gains (though I'm so slow at barbell squats...)

My week stats!
    Training days: 4 Nia Shanks' Train to be Awesome + yoga for rest day + maybe a bodypump class?
    Non-training days: walking, rest
    2100kcal a day

Anyway on saturday it's my birthday (man, I know it feels like every week is an excuse, but this is LIFE and I' m gonna enjoy it!) so I'll be out for a hamburguer, nachos and cocktails at the hard rock cafe. But I'll make sure I do a little fasting beforehand, I'll sneak a little HIIT, and I'll eat less tomorrow Friday to compensate.

Feel free to say/ask whatever you want!

The only thing is, shall I go for the real deal and start eating at my TDEE? *drumroll*