Stalled??

Options
Hi,
I'm one month in, and I've been stalled on the weight loss for about the last week.
Most days I have a protein powder (2 grams carbs), coconut oil, butter, coffee, cocoa nibs, almond milk smoothie,
then a meat lunch, and meat veggie dinner with really no snacking.
Some heavy cream in my 2nd cup of coffee at work.

I know weight loss is not the end all, but I'm 325 lbs, 6'3". I went in with the idea (probably incorrectly) that I'd be loosing 2-3 lbs a week being this heavy. I didn't think I'd stall 3 weeks in.

Friend of mind said that if you stall to eat a ice cream cone to shock your system.

Any thoughts on a stall this early...natural, is even a week no change a stall?
And on the ice cream cone idea?

Replies

• 17JayR
    17JayR Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    1. You do not want to eat an ice cream cone at one month in. It will most likely kick you out of Keto, which will not help with weight loss.
    2. Although, counting calories is not as big of a deal with a low carb diet, recording your food is still a good idea to make sure that you aren't eating too many carbs or too little food. With the info that you have given either could be the issue. (i.e. how many carbs in the almond milk, how much and what type of veggies are you eating, are to making sure you are eating enough - giving your info your BMR is around 2,500 calories, try http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com to see what info it gives you.)
    3. 1 week does not a stall make.
  • Ladylouwolf
    Options
    My personal stalls were from Splenda, hidden carbs in there and my fat was too high. I had to up my protein, get liquid splenda and keep my carb at about 20 grams. I sure hope you find the right macros for you. The link given to you above is a good one! Good luck to you.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I second inputting your info on http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com

Make sure you are not overdoing the protein. Or go over your carb limit. Use MFP to log what you eat and measure and weigh your food.

I weigh my food to keep an accurate log of what I'm consuming. Drink plenty of water. I started keto with over 100#'s to lose, and I had my share of stalls (my longest stall was 3 months long). I can get a little crazy about the heavy cream and coconut oil in my coffee (it taste sooo good) so I make sure to not go over 2 tblsp a day of each.

Your expectations of losing 2 to 3 #s per week is not very realistic. One week you could lose nothing the next week you could lose 4. Look at your weight loss trend on a monthly rather than weekly schedule as weight fluctuates a lot. As you get smaller you lose a lot less.

Keep sticking to the plan. Good luck!
  • cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You're experiencing PISS (post induction stalling syndrome) which is completely normal and happens to most people on keto. Mine lasted about a week and I spent it a few pounds heavier than the week prior. It usually lasts around a week but I've heard of some people having it for two. You'll start dropping again soon.
    I highly recommend that you use measurements instead of the scale as a sign of fat loss. There will be times in the future that the scale will remain the same but your body shape will change.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    You're experiencing PISS (post induction stalling syndrome) which is completely normal and happens to most people on keto. Mine lasted about a week and I spent it a few pounds heavier than the week prior. It usually lasts around a week but I've heard of some people having it for two. You'll start dropping again soon.
    I highly recommend that you use measurements instead of the scale as a sign of fat loss. There will be times in the future that the scale will remain the same but your body shape will change.

Definitely agree!! I lost the majority of my weight in the first 6 weeks, starting march 1st. Then nothing! for a good 2- 2.5 months. My measurements did change though & my energy increased so I was able to start working out more.

Do not do the ice cream thing!! I thought the same thing and had 1 cheat meal. Not even a cheat day, just a meal and it kicked me out of keto & it took me a week to get back in & I went through keto flu all over again.

You really have to trust the process and just keto on.
  • tsmagpi
    tsmagpi Posts: 14
    Options
    You're experiencing PISS (post induction stalling syndrome)

For real, or is that something experienced ketoers tell newbies to calm them down? Haha.

Hey thanks for the great feedback everyone, and talking me off the edge. Staying the course. Measured the ketones last night and they're at 1.9 so something is working, i just need be patient like you all suggested.
  • dcristo213
    dcristo213 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have been on keto for 6 weeks and I had a weight gain in week 5. I freak out a little, but then decided not let it phase me and just keep doing what I was doing. It worked out and I lost 2 pounds in week 6. Anything can affect you weight for 1-3 weeks, the key is not to focus on the scale and focus on how you are feeling. The weight will come off as long as you stick to it. I say NO on the ice cream.
  • MikeEnRegalia
    MikeEnRegalia Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Water. your weight fluctuates every day, depending on various factors, by several pounds easily. So it doesn't make much sense to measure weight loss in weekly intervals. Unless you're on a radical fast, your typically losing at most 2-3 pounds of fat per week, which is well within the range of normal fluctuation. So don't assume that you're stalled just by looking at one week's worth of data.
  • skittle316
    skittle316 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I broke my stall after i cut out dairy, coffee and flaxseeds. So try that also you might want to eat more like at least 1500 calories for your size if you aren't. Also try walking, it could be that your too sedentary. Keto doesn't work the same for everyone, but give it time.
    Initial loss is water, if you haven't stalled for a good month, you shouldn't be complaining at all. Especially if you're not keto adapted, once your body is in full ketosis which is 2 months in that's when the fat really starts coming off.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you actually eating? What you listed here doesn't sound like a lot. With your height and weight, you should be eating at least your BMR at 2500. If you aren't eating enough, your body eventually will stop losing weight.
  • tsmagpi
    tsmagpi Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm not really counting calories, that was one of the things that attracted me to the "diet" per say. I'm eating when I'm hungry and stopping when I'm not. Im pretty sure I'm not at 2500 calories a day though. But I don't feel hungry, which I really like and I think is going to be the key to success, I lost 40lbs just counting calories, but my mind was on food ALL THE FREAKING TIME. Now I can see it becoming an afterthought. Until work puts extra pizza or donuts in the cafeteria.
  • MikeEnRegalia
    Options
    How many calories are you actually eating? What you listed here doesn't sound like a lot. With your height and weight, you should be eating at least your BMR at 2500. If you aren't eating enough, your body eventually will stop losing weight.

That's conventional wisdom which doesn't necessarily apply to someone who is on a ketogenic diet. I would rather try to create a big deficit while optimizing carbs (low) and protein (moderate), and keep the calories low. If that doesn't work then the ketosis is not doing what it is supposed to (optimize body/dietary fat burning).
  • MikeEnRegalia
    Options
    I'm not really counting calories, that was one of the things that attracted me to the "diet" per say. I'm eating when I'm hungry and stopping when I'm not. Im pretty sure I'm not at 2500 calories a day though. But I don't feel hungry, which I really like and I think is going to be the key to success, I lost 40lbs just counting calories, but my mind was on food ALL THE FREAKING TIME. Now I can see it becoming an afterthought. Until work puts extra pizza or donuts in the cafeteria.

In line with what I said above: Try removing most of the fat for a couple of days and see how you do. A good rule of thumb is to keep your protein constant and the carbs low, and just eat as many grams of fat as you're eating grams of protein. If you're really in ketosis, you should still be satisfied and your metabolism should not slow down - but your body will actually have a reason to burn body fat.
  • Naughty_ZOOT
    Naughty_ZOOT Posts: 4,308 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm one month in, and I've been stalled on the weight loss for about the last week.
    Most days I have a protein powder (2 grams carbs), coconut oil, butter, coffee, cocoa nibs, almond milk smoothie,
    then a meat lunch, and meat veggie dinner with really no snacking.
    Some heavy cream in my 2nd cup of coffee at work.

I know weight loss is not the end all, but I'm 325 lbs, 6'3". I went in with the idea (probably incorrectly) that I'd be loosing 2-3 lbs a week being this heavy. I didn't think I'd stall 3 weeks in.

Friend of mind said that if you stall to eat a ice cream cone to shock your system.

Any thoughts on a stall this early...natural, is even a week no change a stall?
    And on the ice cream cone idea?

Would you please post your smoothie recipe for me? Thanks!

A lot of very good advice so far; here are my adds:
    1. Check your blood ketones in the AM only, night is inaccurate because they always go up.
    2. Plenty of water, always.
    3. Daily weight will fluctuate on average +/- 2 to 4 lbs. Use a 7 day averaging instead for the scales.
    4. Play with your macros and keep carbs below 20 for now, protein moderate and fat higher but not crazy. My husband is 6'3" and started at 300 lbs. He is now at 52 lbs lost, 41 just since June 15 th on roughly 1,500 cal per day (he shoots for the macros not the calories) with these macros:
    29 carbs, 115 protein, 192 fat, 38 fiber (rarely gets that one)
    5. Read Volek & Phinney and Mark Sisson
    6. Keep on ketoing on and you can always vary your macros but you are not stalled yet. I stalled from April 12th until about 2 weeks ago but I am also diabetic, female and that stuff matters a great deal.