So Determined!

Options
Roseygirl1
Roseygirl1 Posts: 196 Member
I am in a Really. Bad. Way. I am having a serious flare of my spinal autoimmune arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis. This morning, I was in tears because I was in so much pain. I couldn't straighten up all the way for a couple of hours. (You know how you sometimes see elderly people walking bent over, practically looking at their feet? That's the condition I have. I'm 59 years old and I've had 2 major spine operations already. Thankfully I am not fused in that bent-over position.)

I need to do two things with my diet: I need to take some weight off my poor damaged spine, and I need to eat an anti-inflammatory diet. There is a lot of information on the web about grain-free diets and some improvement in this condition, so I game to give it a try!
I've also read IT STARTS WITH FOOD which has a lot of good information. So between the food template, and using MFP to help me keep my calories under control, here I go!

Today is Day one. I did 40 minutes on the exercise bike at 11 mph.

B: nectarine, prosciutto (on the run)
L: mixed green salad, olive oil, sardines, avocado
D: eye round of beef, roasted mixed vegetables
snack: sauerkraut, sugar snap peas

I see my primary care doc next Thursday, and I will ask for some help with this. I'm really suffering.

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Commit and DO. There's nothing to lose right?

I am completely confident that you will find some relief with Paleo, but (like many of us) being stricter with food choice might be necessary especially in the beginning. The body needs to heal from years of damage, it won't be over-night - but it might be fast enough to amaze you. Commit to be 100%, for now. Stick with it, and it might be hard for awhile, but it gets easier, I promise.

Honestly, most of my health issues vanished before I lost much weight. It's the food first. When your body is properly nourished, and fed enough, you will lose excess body fat as a side effect of a healthier body. The only reason I am not losing fat now is because I brought my calorie obsession into my Paleo lifestyle and that was a fail.

Don't shy away from fats, at all. Grass fed animals (preferably), coconut oil daily (this might be an AIP issue? not sure), butter (even better: ghee), etc. And you might need to do the Autoimmune protocol. I only had to eliminate nightshades temporarily for my chronic knee pain (ALL my life I suffered!) but I didn't have to follow the full AIP. Now I can eat nightshades but am cautious. A return of pain and the nightshades go for awhile again. No food is worth sick/pain.

I wishing you the best. :flowerforyou:
  • Roseygirl1
    Options
    Thank you SO much for the words of encouragement. It means a lot. It sounds like you yourself have had a journey with using Paleo as a means of healing. I would love to hear more of your story if you care to share. I'm curious about your statement about having difficulty counting calories while doing Paleo. I am so concerned with getting some weight off my spine, I am trying to stick to about 1500 calories or thereabouts.

Yesterday was a good day, after the rocky start in the morning. I managed to do 40 minutes on a recumbent stationary bike while watching HGTV.....I cranked up the resistance during the commercials for a kind of "sprint" and so it was good for strength AND cardio. (I used to be a long-distance cyclist before my health crumped, so I am comfortable doing hill 'sprints'.) The back support of the recumbent helped me avoid back problems.

Food was good too.

This morning, I had some of my leftover eye round beef from last night with leftover roast mixed vegetables and some sauerkraut. For lunch, I will have sardines with some kind of vegetables, and dinner is kind of up in the air---I am picking my younger son up the airport around dinnertime and we might go out to eat at a diner. In which case, I will have some kind of fish with a salad and cooked vegetable.

I am purposely leaning more on fish because of the omega-3 issue, it's supposed to be anti-inflammatory. I don't take any meds or supplements, although I did just get a bottle of Blue Ice Cod Liver Oil. It's not too nasty.

Commit and DO. There's nothing to lose right?

I am completely confident that you will find some relief with Paleo, but (like many of us) being stricter with food choice might be necessary especially in the beginning. The body needs to heal from years of damage, it won't be over-night - but it might be fast enough to amaze you. Commit to be 100%, for now. Stick with it, and it might be hard for awhile, but it gets easier, I promise.

Honestly, most of my health issues vanished before I lost much weight. It's the food first. When your body is properly nourished, and fed enough, you will lose excess body fat as a side effect of a healthier body. The only reason I am not losing fat now is because I brought my calorie obsession into my Paleo lifestyle and that was a fail.

Don't shy away from fats, at all. Grass fed animals (preferably), coconut oil daily (this might be an AIP issue? not sure), butter (even better: ghee), etc. And you might need to do the Autoimmune protocol. I only had to eliminate nightshades temporarily for my chronic knee pain (ALL my life I suffered!) but I didn't have to follow the full AIP. Now I can eat nightshades but am cautious. A return of pain and the nightshades go for awhile again. No food is worth sick/pain.

I wishing you the best. :flowerforyou:
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are in the right place and on the right track. You are a bit fragile right now so slow simple movement is your best option. I wouldn't worry about coming in under calories as much as getting the right mix of nutrients in the food that works, but for sure get the grains out of your house, they are your biggest problem right up front and if they are within reach they may reach out to you.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Sounds like you are in the right place and on the right track. You are a bit fragile right now so slow simple movement is your best option. I wouldn't worry about coming in under calories as much as getting the right mix of nutrients in the food that works, but for sure get the grains out of your house, they are your biggest problem right up front and if they are within reach they may reach out to you.

^This. Slow down, eat well, and heal. You will need extra calories for the healing so forget the restricting calories, it's just the FOOD. I don't eat a ton of fish, it's not my favourite, but when I do eat fish it's VITAL that it be wild. There's little health benefit from farmed fish. If you are eating enough nourishing food and watching the starch/sugar (one can eat too much fruit and sweet potatoes imo) you will lose excess body fat without worrying about it.

You aren't mentioning any fat in your meals; don't fear fat.
  • Roseygirl1
    Options
    Thanks to both of you for the information. I am using about a tablespoon of olive oil, coconut oil, or high quality ghee with each of my meals. I do have a tendency to push too hard in denial of my age and condition, so it's a good reminder to build a base of recovery by just trying to move a little more. I do some easy workouts in the pool, too. And I have an adult tricycle that I love. In fact, I rode to the bank and then to the farmer's market this morning. I have pastured organic chicken, beets and turnips with nice greens to them, zucchini and yellow squash (for zoodles), onions, and a few peaches.

My niece is coming over soon and we'll go for a nice cycling outing together. Nothing pushy about it.

Is it coincidence that while I woke with some discomfort, I could walk straight first thing in the morning? I dunno. This happens to me every time I cut gluten out of my diet. I feel better almost immediately. Weird.

Thanks all!
    Susie
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    NO, it's not weird. It's almost unanimous in the Paleo community that wheat is the worst thing to eat. I felt better immediately after eliminating gluten (and all grains) from my diet. I NEVER ever have had wheat since and will never again. It hurts my body so bad that I am never tempted to have it. That's my one hard rule: "never cheat with wheat". With your health challenges I would recommend the same mentality towards wheat. Even though I am well and have no more pain (it's a miracle!) wheat is a "never" food and other treats are a "sometimes" food.
  • Roseygirl1
    Options
    Day 2 wrapped up:

B: roast beef and roast veggies (olive oil for fat)
    L: salad with roast beef, turkey, olives (olive oil)
    D: bluefish, green beans and tomatoes, lettuce salad (olive oil and butter); 4 oz. chardonnay

Activity: about a 3 mile bike ride

Feeling good and feeling determined!
  • primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are doing great! I just had a sneak peek through your diary - looks like you really have a handle on things but I would suggest you may need to up your fat and calories a little especially if you are active. Add fat in slowly though if you are not used to it as it can cause upsets with a sudden increase. All the best with your journey towards health :-)
  • Roseygirl1
    Options
    Gulp. -114 on fat today?????? Even after making an adjustment?

In any event, I was stiff and had some discomfort this morning, but nothing to make me cry, so that's some progress. I had a crazy busy day so dinner was a frozen prepared meal but at least it had no wheat or other grain in it.

I am really enjoying grilling peaches in ghee----what a lovely seasonal treat.

I look forward to continuing healing.

Tomorrow I shall get some exercise!
  • maria_antoinette
    maria_antoinette Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Akimajuktuq
    You mentioned you are not longer losing any weight... ? how long has it been since you lost any weight??? I mean i think its good enough that you are not gaining and you are healthy..... but it must be frustrating....
    its not like putting back unhealthy food will help... and calorie restricting did not help either...... so nothing to do but keep moving and keep the faith ..

I wish you luck,
    if you are doing anything to break this plateau, i would love to know.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Gulp. -114 on fat today?????? Even after making an adjustment?

In any event, I was stiff and had some discomfort this morning, but nothing to make me cry, so that's some progress. I had a crazy busy day so dinner was a frozen prepared meal but at least it had no wheat or other grain in it.

I am really enjoying grilling peaches in ghee----what a lovely seasonal treat.

I look forward to continuing healing.

Tomorrow I shall get some exercise!

Please, please, please work on seeing fat as your best FRIEND.

Your macro ratios are actually awesome, even ideal for what you need right now. BUT, those fats need to be healthy. Please find a way to avoid processed foods. (Are there really prepared meals with no wheat and no toxic oils?) I do cook-ups on the weekend so that I don't have to cook every night. I'm a single mom so there's no such thing as too busy, it's choice. I can also whip up a stir fry in minutes, or half an hour if the meat is frozen.

Oh, and more veggies! :wink:

But, again, you are healing and you need more food, and quality is utmost. Really. Please, health first.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Akimajuktuq
    You mentioned you are not longer losing any weight... ? how long has it been since you lost any weight??? I mean i think its good enough that you are not gaining and you are healthy..... but it must be frustrating....
    its not like putting back unhealthy food will help... and calorie restricting did not help either...... so nothing to do but keep moving and keep the faith ..

I wish you luck,
    if you are doing anything to break this plateau, i would love to know.

That's what happens when we don't trust the FOOD and eat too little for too long. Loss of muscle and a slowed metabolism. Nope, not frustrated because I'm focused on HEALTH and I'm Paleo forever. I've healed all my other health problems, now it's all about exercise and strength building.
  • maria_antoinette
    maria_antoinette Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am the fixing metabolism phase at this point in life.... because after 20+ years of calorie restriction i am pretty sure my metabolism is ruined... and although i have LOST ALL the weight restricting my calories..... its just not fun to maintain anymore... and every year its like LESS calories for the same weight......

My plan since June has been to follow PALEO and cut out all sugar and grains and processed foods and most dairy.. and I have added Healthy Fat to my Diet for extra calories and much more WEIGHTS.. less cardio..

Doing this from now on HAS to better then what i was doing before.. REGARLDESS of the fact that i weigh the same doing the calorie restriction.......
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You've come to the right place Rosey! Check out the success stories if you ever need inspiration. It sounds like you are doing awesome and already feeling the effects of a good diet. Keep up the great work!
  • Roseygirl1
    Options
    You've come to the right place Rosey! Check out the success stories if you ever need inspiration. It sounds like you are doing awesome and already feeling the effects of a good diet. Keep up the great work!

Thank you so much!

Today I walked pretty slowly---just couldn't push at all. I honored that. Walked 1.74 miles according to map my walk.

B: 3 eggs, 2 slices bacon, bunch of sauerkraut
    L: zoodles with tomato meal sauce---heavy on the meat, some grassfed ground lamb I have.
    D: mishmash of roasted chicken meat mixed with roasted eggplant and some roasted red pepper sauce.

If I am too hungry before dinner, I will have to wing it....maybe some grilled peaches with meat.

I upped my calories to 1600 and changed the macro percentages to 20% carbs, 30% protein, 50% fat. But I'm trying not to get hung up on the numbers but stay focused on eating real food and moving a little more....along with healing rest.

Thank you, group, for all the support. It helps.
  • blynnblair
    blynnblair Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    You are in the right place and have a great mindset! I agree with not pushing it and stressing out your body more by doing too much exercise, especially since you just had a flare. I learned I react to nightshades after I went on AIP (autoimmune protocol) or 30 days, my joints hurt so bad from them!

"The Paleo Approach" by Dr. Sarah Ballantyne would be an amazing resource for you, there's so much to learn about the connection between inflammation and diet, and she explains so much in her book. Her cookbook comes out next week as well!

Good luck in your healing journey :smile:
  • superjean1
    superjean1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should check out The Paleo Approach. A great resource for autoimmune issues. In addition to dairy and gluten, I've found corn, tomatoes and eggs (egg whites) also to be a big trigger for for my inflammation.
  • blynnblair
    blynnblair Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    OH yeah, egg whites!!! oh man those are bad for me too, I forgot about them since I never eat them anymore.
    I agree that you should check out The Paleo Approach. A great resource for autoimmune issues. In addition to dairy and gluten, I've found corn, tomatoes and eggs (egg whites) also to be a big trigger for for my inflammation.
  • Roseygirl1
    Options
    Thanks, I will reserve a copy of THE PALEO APPROACH from my library. (I try only to buy books if I go back to the library more than once to read any given book. Otherwise I'd be broke!)

I need an early bedtime tonight. Tired.

Be well, Paleo groupies!

Rosey
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I noticed you said you felt worse the day after you drank a glass of wine. Could there be a connection? I know I do better if I avoid wine. I might have a glass once or twice a month, and sticking with red wine seems to work better for me than the sweet whites I prefer.

Also, as was mentioned, you might want to try the auto immune protocol for a month or two. I noticed one day of your menus (today?) was very heavy in nightshades -- tomato, peppers, eggplant.

Minimize sugar if you can (argh, peaches are so delicious in season, but so high in sugar!). When I was getting a handle on my arthritis pain, I ate almost no fruit except for a few berries here and there. You can get all the vitamins you need from eating a "rainbow" of fresh vegetables.