Hair loss

krustyoldhag
krustyoldhag Posts: 65 Member
I just started the Keto WOE, and have been losing my hair!!!!
Anyone else experience this? I have only been on this WOE for a couple of weeks, lost about 5 pounds so far. I don't think I am losing too rapidly so i am not sure what is happening. I am taking a prenatal vitamin. Please help!!! :frown:

Replies

• strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Are you sure it is keto that's causing it and not stress? My hair, skin, nails have been the best they've ever been while on keto (all those healthy fats I assume). Shoot, even my teeth and gums are healthier.
  • snoopyjet
    snoopyjet Posts: 82 Member
    I had the same problem at the beginning of keto. Take vitamins and increase your protein and calories. Check your hormones. Later then slowly go to the deficit you are aiming. Maybe your deficit is too big, youe are not getting all the minerals and vitamins, hormones...?
    A lot of factors....
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    I sincerely doubt a couple of weeks on keto is causing your hair loss. There is a pattern of hair loss, and we lose more at times than other times. Could be a coincidence. Make sure you are eating adequate protein, take extra biotin if you wish, don't brush your hair when it's wet, and don't damage it from processing. If it continues to fall out, get a medical doctor to check your hormones, esp. your thyroid function.
  • krustyoldhag
    I have always had fine hair, but within the last 2 weeks it is noticeably falling. I plan on getting my thyroid checked, although checks in the past have all been normal. I used the keto calculator at keto-calculator.ankerl.com
    I am short - 4' 9", so my macros are lower than someone who would be average height. I am at a 20% deficit.

here's my exact macros copied from the website:
    Your Personal Results

Here are your personal macros:
    1278 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    20 g Carbohydrates (6%, 80 kcal)
    65 g Protein (20%, 260 kcal)
    104 g Fat (74%, 938 kcal)

So, I will up my vitamins, keep my protein as high as I can without kicking myself out of ketosis.
    Thanks for all of you advise and information! I'll keep you posted....
  • krustyoldhag
    I had the same problem at the beginning of keto. Take vitamins and increase your protein and calories. Check your hormones. Later then slowly go to the deficit you are aiming. Maybe your deficit is too big, youe are not getting all the minerals and vitamins, hormones...?
    A lot of factors....

I am not under any unusual stress. I agree, my skin and nails are doing very well! I used to have eczema on my hands and elbows pretty severely and since I have been getting more fats, my skin is healing!!! :happy: