Do you hate the tast of protein bars?

Options
toniwalks
toniwalks Posts: 8 Member
Do you hate the taste of protein bars? It's been hard for me to find one that was low in carbs, high in protein but did not taste so protein dense that I had to force myself to eat it. However, I am now loving the Atkins chocolate chip granola bar. Only 3 net carbs and 16g of protein. They are a bit pricey but I eat one for breakfast and it takes me to lunch without still feeling hungry...you might want to give them a try.

Replies

• spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I love Quest brand protein bars. I usually eat one a day. At first I could only eat about 1/2 a Quest bar but I am now 2 plus years out from sleeve WLS and can eat a whole bar now. My WLS nut. thinks the Quest bars are great since most the carbs in them are fiber carbs or "good for you" carbs. I only buy them when on sale usually at GNC when they are buy 2 get 1 free or buy 3 get 1 free and then have a $10 off coupon so it make 12 bars like $13 plus tax. I am almost out right now but in the past had a stock pile of them of 6 or more boxes.
    If you haven't tried them, you can go to the Quest website and request a sample of one and they will mail it to you for free bar and free shipping.
    My fav flavs are chocolate chip cookie dough, choc brownie, peanut butter supreme, white choc raspberry, double choc chip, oreo cookie.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I prefer Quest bars because they seem to be better nutritionally than what I've been able to find in the grocery store. Yes they are a little pricy, but I don't mind paying more for better nutrition. I haven't looked real hard at the Adkins bars simply because the Quest bars taste great and are high in protein at 20+ grams per bar. My favorites are cookies & cream, double chocolate chunk, banana muffin and cinnamon roll (obviously the last two are good breakfast bars!).

Pat
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I agree - Quest bars. The nutritional profile is good for people who have had WLS, they taste good, and the flavors are great. I like Double Chocolate Chunk, Chocolate Brownie, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, and Cookies n Creme. I have also heard that the low sugar Detour bars are really good too.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Just two days ago I looked at the NoGii protein bars. I was gonna buy some but when I saw they were almost 290 calories for one bar, I put it back on the shelve! Quest bars usually have around 160-180 cals per bar. I will stick with Quest bars. I have tried Power Crunch bars and they are very yummy but not as much protein in them a s Quest bars. They aren't good to carry around with you also since the icing melts off. They are yummy if frozen though.
  • Chris10_9817
    Chris10_9817 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I prefer Quest Bars, and I also wait till they are on sale at GNC. My favs are the cookies n cream and chocolate chip cookie dough. I do not eat them as much as I use to cause the doc told me to cut down on carbs.
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Nothing but Quest bars for me! However, I've noticed that most of the cookie related ones all taste the same. The cookies and cream and the cookie dough are very similar in taste. My personal favorite is the white chocolate raspberry. These are a sometimes thing for me. Generally for protein supplements I use powder instead of bars.

Also, there are numerous recipes where you can make your own at home. They will be higher in carbs though, as generally the binder is oats and banana.
  • sadiegirl32
    sadiegirl32 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the ccokies and cream quest bar. I thought for sure cookie dough would be it for me but man I practically snarf the cookes and cream one down...lol So tasty!!
  • Dannadl
    Dannadl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Another quest barcode here
  • adiggs2777
    adiggs2777 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Team Quest here too. I don't count the carbs in them as bad because they are almost all from fiber, which you can subtract from the total carb count to get your net carbs. You need the fiber to keep things regular!
  • shygirl2222
    Options
    Love my quest bars!
  • Gingersfit
    Options
    I loved Quest bars before surgery but now, not so much. I'm only 2-1/2 months out and at first after surgery they were just too heavy feeling on m stomach (even just a half bar). Now, I just don't like the taste. Weird how that works. They would certainly be convenient because right now, It's 8:30 at night and I need 30 more grams of protein (long day at the office with little time to eat anything) and I can't figure out what to eat. Not in the mood for anything.