Anyone else have hypo / hashi's with PCOS?

Options
Hello everyone, I would love to hear from any of you who are struggling with PCOS on top of their hypothyroidism / Hashimoto's. I know the two often go together for many women. Any tips, stories, or just general rants to share, on how the two intermingle for you?

I'm about 6 months into my thyroid treatment (Eltroxin) and 2 months into my PCOS treatment (Glucophage). At the moment, it's difficult to tell which symptoms are from which!! The overlap for me seems to be obesity and absolute exhaustion!

A number of my thyroid symptoms have improved since starting the meds (alopecia areata / general hair thinning, moodiness, depression, hoarse voice) but some are still persistently lingering on (lethargy, mental fogginess, sleepiness). But my endo says that these are from the PCOS now, rather than the thyroid!

In terms of PCOS, really struggling at the moment with a VERY sensitive stomach (calming down a bit as I've gotten more used to the Glucophage), really painful periods (knocks me off my feet for a few days each month - everything goes to hell), and having alot of trouble eating sometimes, even small meals or bites can give me terrible nausea and indigestion for hours on end. The symptoms seem to come in waves - it's 2 steps forward, 3 steps back!

Anyone else??

Replies

• steviecooke1985
    steviecooke1985 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have both and I'm based in the UK. I treat PCOS with Yasmin, the birth control pill. It's the best thing I've found to keep the symptoms in check. But to be fair, I've never suffered hugely with PCOS symptoms, other than really irregular, heavy periods and acne (Yasmin REALLY helps with this too, my skin is completely clear when I'm on it!). Hope you find something that works for you! :smile:
  • FrancescaWebb
    FrancescaWebb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    yep, I have both. I feel much better since starting treatment for the hypo. but i am off birth control at the moment so I've also been dealing with the painful periods (when i get them, which isnt often), nausea, and weird hair growth (the. worst.) My hypo symptoms were mostly weight gain, lethargy, and brain fog, so that really affected my day-to-day quality of life. I'm a little worried about infertility, but trying not to freak out. things are slowly but surely moving in the right direction thanks to Levothyroxine and regular exercise.

Feel free to add me! and i highly recommend joining the PCOS group if you havent already :)
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I would just like to which you well.

I have been surprised to discover just how many symptoms of different health issues cross reference with those associated with the thyroid. My hope is that as your systems start to repair, all will come good, sooner rather than later. I empathise with the period issues, I remember the days lost in pain curled up, crying.

May I suggest you try to keep a log of how you feel on a daily basis, this will be available to link into cycles and things to enable you to be your own best advocate.
  • erinewert
    erinewert Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 17, I too had the horrible periods and no energy. I didnt want to take any type of birth control because I didn't want extra hormones floating around...( i was under educated on how beneficial it would be for me.) I fortunately was able have a child even though there was a higher chance of not being able to. But after I had my son I had horrible hair loss, no energy, depression, goiter...the list goes on. I was bounced around from dr. to dr and they told me it was basically in my head and I was lazy. Then I got the hashi's diagnosis and started levothyroxine and have somewhat of my energy back. Its hard and frustrating to deal with both...I feel your pain from working so hard and not getting the results you think you should see..

If you want to add me feel free...its nice to have people who understand how hard it is!