Scarey reads

Options
jkbarrack
jkbarrack Posts: 31 Member
Does anyone have any suggestions on some good frightening reads...something that you want to hide under the blanket, gets your heart beating?

Replies

• caseyjarryn
    caseyjarryn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Have you read anything by Jack Ketchum? http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Ketchum/e/B001HMPRV2
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I haven't read it myself yet but This House is Haunted by John Boyne sounds pretty promising.
  • nathashapiskeperlmutter
    Options
    I recently read Help For The Haunted by John Searles. It's a really good read, very well written and an interesting plot. And it definitely will put some chills down your spine.
  • jkbarrack
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions. :) I will check them out.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything by Stephen King (although a lot of his newer works are tamer IMHO), especailly IT. I couldn't even finish reading it and cringed my way through the movie. Yikes!! I recently re-read The Shining and it's new sequel Doctor Sleep and they're both great.

Some other suggestions that may be more creepy than down right scary:

Joe Hill's books (SK's son FYI), especially his newest one N0S 4A2. If you read that and then Doctor Sleep, it's neat because King references one of the baddies in Hill's book.

The Archie and Gretchen series by Chelsea Cain, especially the first book "Heartsick" . She's a serial killer and he's a detective and they have a weird twisted thing for each other.

The Strain by Guillermo DelToro (now a TV series) - there are 2 other books in the series I believe but I've only read the 1st

Dying to Live by Kim Paffenroth. Very similar to The Walking Dead if you like that series. Again, I think there are at least 2 more books in the series but I've only read the 1st.

While I haven't read any of his stuff in a while, Dean Koontz used to seem really creepy to me too.

Happy reading!!
  • jkbarrack
    Options
    That's a great list, thanks.

I have thought about picking up Doctor Sleep, didn't realize it was a sequel to The Shining. I defiantly will now.

Dean Koontz is fav for sure.

I will check out the others too.

Much appreciated.
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I always liked any of James Herbert's and of course Dean Koontz who was previously mentioned, his Odd Thomas series is one of my favourites, fantastic character is Odd.