Max/Maxine's Challenge 2014

Options

Replies

• SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    So pleased with my breakfast this morning. Last night I made an omelette with mushrooms and spinach, put in the fridge overnight and re-heated this morning. It was just as if I made it, was perfect!! Also very filling and delicious - good start to the day.

Of course, BEFORE that I'd already done Skim's Garage Workout - Full Body A. Was good. Hamstrings are STILL sore from Saturday but I warmed up properly and was still able to do today's deadlifts and they actually feel fine now. Will have to see what happens during the day - I'll do some more stretches tonight.

Hope you all have a good day!!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    Last night I ate 5 x Dominos chicken ribs that were left over from my DD's dinner... Look, it's not that bad and I added it to my diary and still way under calories for the day, but I am disappointed that I ate them.

Still - they tasted so good!! :laugh:

AND at least it wasn't recreational sugar!!!

Confession over. Oats for breakfast this morning.

Speaking of which, I saw a new add for the oats. Instant decaf coffee!! And it's yum! I just dissolve in a bit of water that I add to the oats when they are cooked and stir through with my PP and some cinnamon. Delicious!!!
  • peejaygee1
    peejaygee1 Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I have DOMS...and I love it!!! Feeling great after the first 2 workouts. Cardio today and the weather is behaving so I might take my puppy for a run...Not a lot else to tell.

Catchya tomorrow!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    LOVE DOMS!!!

Mind you my hamstrings are STILL sore from Saturday, obviously I overdid it... But much better today so hopefully tomorrow will be all good because I'm concentrating on glutes in the morning.
  • peejaygee1
    peejaygee1 Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    Really enjoyed my run last night...gotta love those exercise endorphins.

On a separate note, I'm meeting with the Australian Institute of Fitness on Saturday to discuss their Master Trainer's (Personal Trainer) course...super excited!!!
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Looks like everyone is doing great. Have had a much better week than last week food wise.
    Exercise on the other hand has been a bit slack. Haven't been to the gym now for 1 1/2 weeks as hubby is still o/s. Mind you have really enjoyed the sleep in's.
    Have done a couple of workouts at home but not much. My short shifts at work turned into working full time which messed up my plans a bit. Will see how I go this week. Although I think my body has enjoyed the break.
    Have decided not to weigh myself till the end of the fourth week, more of a physiological reason than anything else.

Great news on the meeting peejay, can't wait to hear how you go.

Have a great weekend

Lou
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    PJ that sounds exciting!! Keep us up to date with the news.

Hi Lou, a break is good and really it's 70% about nutrition, so if you are on track with that you are more than half way there.

I've had a fabulous day today. Found a sports warehouse online and I emailed them during the week and went and picked up some new weights etc today. I think the garage is my favourite place to hang out now :smile:

I took a progress shot this morning and can notice a difference from registration so I'm happy about that, sometimes it's easier to take a photo and compare them than the mirror, as looking at yourself every day gets hard to tell the difference. From now on I think I"ll take a photo every Saturday and print it out and glue into my training journal.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!
  • lilbodes
    lilbodes Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Though I best check in and say hello I'm still here.. Spending all day at work on a PC I dont tend to much when Im at home.. And it's way too hard to get here on the iphone....

So after an initial 2.5kg loss week 1 nothing stayed the same.. (so and I'm so glad I didn't do this week 1 or 2) I searched out the tape measure and at least that was promising.. waist down 3cm , 2 off the hips and 1 off my fairly solid thighs (each side yay at least thats even!!! so not all lost.. Definately struggling with the lack of a sambo for lunch so have had a couple during the week but generally sticking to plan.
    New incentive a friend has decided to follow the plan (is following the mens shred plan?!? ) Not sure why except a male friend of hers has done it - few issues there is lotsa food on it and shes subbing whole meals for the Max's Super Shred and a banana... because the "friend" told her that was a good option... I'm no nutritionist blah blah but doesn't sound right to me. So last night I bundled her off with sample bags of 3 maxines powders and a pile of half burn bars so she could sample the flavors..... Well anyway back to the incentive..... I will not be the biggest kid out playing ....

So I need help with staying on that treadmill thing... It completely bores me is mind numbing and I'm constantly thinking of how I could be spending the time better... I'm thinking a TV is the answer as then at least I could watch a show and then I would be "doing" something plus keep my mind off that stupid red light showing how far I've gone...... suggestions??
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    lilbodes, a towel over the display and something decent to watch helps, especially when working at low intensity for a while. If you're at the gym a tablet with headphones is a good option, blocks out the rest of the world for a while.
  • Rayman79
    Options
    It's Monday again so I should update my progress too. Unfortunately no loss this week. After coming town to 77kg last Monday, the weight pushed back up to 77.5 and sat there all week. I've dropped back to just under 77 as of yesterday but the weightloss has slowed for the moment.

I guess I'll wait and see what the progress pics look like on the weekend, that's a better indicator of progress than the scale is anyway.

Now is the time for me to play around a little so I upped my carbs for the day yesterday, now back on to low calories today. I think it's time for me to start adding in a bit of cardio as my appetite is catching up to me so I need to burn a little more to compensate. I'm moving house this week so my activity levels should be right up, just have to stick to the diet plan and I'll create a good deficit - I'll work in a big refeed day in there at some point on the weekend too - have to celebrate the new house with some food and friends afterall!

I hope everyone else is staying strong and getting some positive results!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    Lil I am not a fan of the treadmill or cardio in general for that matter. Watching TV is a good solution, I have a TV in my garage for when I do the Spin Bike, but I rarely put it on... I prefer to blast out some really good music and I time myself - one minute hard, one minute easy or variations of intervals to keep it interesting. OR PODCASTS are great - listen and learn things at the same time! Health podcasts have been a big part in keeping me on track, particularly last year.

I do walk a lot, and I think that's more interesting than the treadmill because at least I'm outdoors and have things to look at. But that's my method of getting to work and back so I can't really avoid it either.

I'm doing well. Have had a couple of re-feed days in the last 3 weeks and then yesterday was the day from hell so I had a day of not eating. Had dinner and a hot chocolate 500 calories, so lets call that an Intermittent Fasting day. I'm up early this morning to cook breakfast and I AM DEFINITELY going to eat my lunch today although it will probably be standing up in the work kitchen shovelling it into my mouth between meetings. Wouldn't be the first time.

Workouts are going well, still doing the 3 x full body workouts as they are fitting better into my work schedule at the moment and doing cardio 2 x per week (like this morning) and walking 10,000+ steps per day.

Have started taking a photo every Saturday for my training journal. Can see a difference between rego and now - but weighed myself and have not lose a single gram. Exactly the same weight. If I was hung up on that sort of thing it would really be p*ssing me off by now, but I've learnt to not worry so much about the scale and more about how clothes fit and what I look like. Still...

What I've learnt so far - every day is a new day!!! Clean slate. If something doesn't go so well the day before, acknowledge it and move on.

Keep moving forward challengers!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    I'm exhausted today. Feel quite depleted.

Mind you I have not slept well the last 2 nights and am going through a super busy time at work and things at home are a bit all over the place right now. So I guess it is a combination of a few things.

Also been eating too much this week - I had a couple of re-feed days but it's turning into a maintenance week with food. I'm training as per usual and walking a lot, doing cardio... I think I'm just pushing myself too hard and need to back off a bit or I'm going to crash.

SO - having said that, I'm going to have oats for breakfast every weekday and also add sweet potato to every lunch for the rest of the week (Friday - Sunday) and see if that helps. As long as I keep my calories around the weekly average of 1500-1600 I'm happy with that while I get a bit more stable. I find if my average is lower than 1300 for longer than a week I totally crash and then head for a massive binge which is NOT a good thing!!

How is everyone else going?
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Glad to hear you are all doing well.

Skim the scales and I are not friends at all. They effect me mentally whether I lose or put on. It's why I don't weigh myself very often anymore.

Hubby gets back from overseas tomorrow. Yay!!! I didn't realise him going away would effect my eating and exercising so much. Again it's a mental thing. He doesn't comment very often about what I eat or about my exercising but when he does he is usually positive about it.

Yesterday I went for my first 5k run in ages and struggled. Today I went again and did a bit better but nowhere up to the level I was a couple of months back. I've got a 12k run in 4 weeks and will be sticking to the food plan very strictly and doing some serious training.

Keep well everyone

Lou
  • candirose69
    Options
    Hey lovelies!

Glad to hear everyone is going well on their journey and that we are all still here :)

I do apologise for my recent absence. I have still been trying to eat well but have had a terrible flu that put me out completely for 2-3 days (I slept for nearly 3 days straight which is really unlike me as I'm one of those who has to keep busy even when sick and really hate doing nothing :S and am still recovering. Still eating pretty healthy but even walking to work (a 10 minute leisurely walk) is leaving me puffed and coughing because this flu is still lingering in my chest. On top of that my boy now has it -.-

Are we all getting nervous or excited about the 4 week mark come Monday?
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    HI Lou and Candi :smile:

There are always a lot of external things that can affect our performances, partners are one and illness is another - and you have both had them this week! Lou I'm sure you'll find it easier to be in a routine when your hubby comes home and Candi, you have to rest to get over this flu - it's a really bad one. I was the same in bed for 3-4 days when I had it and I am not the type to lie around unless I'm at death's door!! Please get over it before you start training or you'll exhaust yourself.

I've had a rough few days with one thing and another, still on track with training although my diet has been less than perfect. I'm quite tired and I thought I needed some more carbs, but really I think it's just stress getting the better of me this week. I did my 4 week update photo yesterday and although there is a change, it's not as good as I initially wanted but I have been eating more than the allowance and I honestly don't think I'd be able to survive on the strict diet without going off on a huge binge so I think I'm better off eating a bit more. I've had a look at the new diet plan, less fruit on it for this next 4 weeks but basically the same as the first 4 weeks. I wasn't following it strictly anyway but it is a good guideline, especially on days when I don't want to think.

Training is now a 2 day split, 4 times a week, so I'm going to have to change things up a bit. I had switched to 3 x full body sessions just because it fits in better with work and life and was really enjoying them too. I'll go back to 4 days training but I'll have to do my back to back days on Saturday and Sunday as I find it too hard with work to be getting up super early 5 days a week. Then I'll do Tuesday and Thursday weights and might have Monday as a rest day, Wednesday and Friday cardio days.

I have friends coming over tomorrow for a get-together. There will be wine and food... I'm doing some healthy options but haven't had a wine since I started the challenge - will have to see how I go and with any luck will stick to my plan.

Hope you have a good week! We are a third of the way there!!
  • Rayman79
    Options
    Looks like we've all deviated a bit from the plan in the last few days!

I've moved house this weekend - yay! So meals have been all over the place. Higher carb, more snacking etc. I think my intake has probably still been just under maintenance though, as I have basically been on my feet moving furniture, unpacking, putting up curtains etc etc for four days straight.

As a result there has been no weight loss this week, and the takeaway foods have been high in sodium so the scale has actually gone up to 77.3 as of this morning. Nothing to worry about though, back on the grind today and I now have my exercise bike back for some much needed cardio and am now close to my new gym.

Just have to flick that switch mentally and understand that my 'relaxed / refeed' period is now over and discipline over the next couple of days is critical to get back on track.
  • candirose69
    Options
    So I got the workout paln today (because I am terribly unorganised).
    Gonna have to change a bit up as I am seriously lacking any equipment and so I have trawled through the internet to find some body weight exercises-yay!
    Using a heap from the neilaray website so lets see how we go with that!

I also noticed no rest day and not too sure how I feel about that.

I will give it a crack going as close to the plan as I can for the first week but I am having trouble finding non full body workouts so might revert back to one of them next week.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    Hi Ray, congrats on the move, it's always a big job. I'm sure you'll be back on track in no time at all.

Candi, I am still going to do 3 x full body workouts this week. It's easier for me to fit in with work at the moment. I also will still have a rest day, I think it's really important and I've learnt the hard way from over-training before. I guess it just depends what your goals are.

There is one girl in the FB group that I am in who trains every day and does cardio every day, but she wants to win. She's pretty full on, and good for her but I couldn't sustain that level for the whole 12 weeks. I can't even sustain it for 4 weeks!!

Some of the 4 week photos are AMAZING!! Mine was ok, but I'm going to have to kick it up a notch and be more strict with my diet. I was probably floating around maintenance level last week. I don't have a problem doing the training, but the diet is always the bit that lets me down - and it's probably 70% diet that gets the results!!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    Sunday update - end week 5

This week just gone was a fabulous failure in most respects. My diet was atrocious and I missed a training session, which isn't that bad but I also didn't get in my 10,000 steps a day, so exercise was nowhere near my goal.

Why? Well - lots of things just happened and I didn't cope with them very well. I gave in to sugar, and when I do that there's no stopping, I had a few big binges on chocolate and icecream - which I purchased specifically to eat it all myself!!

oops.

Anyway, woke up yesterday feeling sick and tired. So I sat myself down and had a good talking to myself and got back on the wagon. I had a social function yesterday, I did have 4 glasses of wine but didn't eat badly. Today have had a good day, been out walking and also made up my missed workout. Been eating well and have no more junk to eat in the house, that is half the battle. Also cooked up some Cauliflower Fried Rice for this week's lunches, so I'm half way to success.

One thing that I have learnt in the challenge, is that I don't like eating small frequent meals. I can do it for a week or 2 but long term, it just doesn't work for me. I start to want to eat earlier in the day and after I've been doing it for a while, I start to feel hungry a lot.

I find that if I fast in the morning I feel much better with a big lunch around 1pm, 4pm protein snack, 6:30pm dinner and dessert (usually yoghurt, PP and berries) before bed. So this week I think I might go back to eating like this (because it really works for me) and see if it makes a difference keeping the sugar cravings at bay.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    This week is going swimmingly well.

I have been skipping breakfast and eating 2 meals, 2 snacks and it's been great. Was starving today, so had lunch at 11am but then wasn't hungry for lunch.. Ate it about 2pm.

Workouts on track. Working from home today but still got my walk in and did the ABS routine that Tony showed on Muscle TV this week. ugh - have a feeling I'm going to need to roll out of bed tomorrow!!

How is everyone else going this week?
This discussion has been closed.