How'd you find your way to Primal/Paleo?

Options
Roseygirl1
Roseygirl1 Posts: 196 Member
I'm curious to know by what route did ya'll come to end up in the Primal/Paleo diet camp?

Seems to me there are two routes: those seeking "elite fitness"---ie, the Crossfit/fitness population, and those with health issues seeking healing from food.

I wonder what else would motivate a person to buck the trend of American processed foods?

I first heard of Paleo about 9 or 10 years ago, when I was doing Crossfit. I followed it essentially on an 80/20 basis for fitness. But it all went to hell in a handbasket when 7 years ago when I developed significant health problems, mostly due to undiagnosed Lyme disease. I had two cervical spine operations, and between those and the Lyme, I totally and utterly crashed. Didin't help that I was seriously overtraining and under-recovering. In any case, that second surgery felled me and in some essential way, I haven't ever recovered. Of course, depression because I couldn't exercise kicked in, I started using food for self-soothing and long story short, in 7 years I gained 60 pounds. During these years I have also been a caregiver to my MIL, both my parents, and my disabled adult child. Now my MIL is in nursing home, my parents are in assisted living, and my son will soon be living in his own apartment with support services to enable his functioning, so I have room to put me first. I KNOW from experience how healing and deeply good the Paleo diet can be......and I finally have enough room in my life to focus on me and my health----so I am back.

How about you?
Rosey

Replies

• TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I never had any health issues, I just wanted to be the healthiest version of me I could be. I read Wheat Belly and The Primal Blueprint and was sold. I eat 95% of my meals primal and have one grain/legume meal--Saturday night (usually Mexican food or gluten-free pizza). I NEVER do gluten at my free meal because I've discovered I get awful intestinal cramping and bowel issues if I do now.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Lifelong illness and adult obesity had me looking for answers for a long time. The beginning of my struggle with obesity was actually CAUSED by Weight Watchers and their extreme calorie and fat restriction. Thanks WW, greatly appreciated. They also had an influence on my life in early childhood thanks to my mom's constant weight obsession, on and off starving herself while on the program. Thanks again WW.

I found the Atkins Diet in my late 20s so from then on I knew my body thrived on a high fat, low carb diet. I hadn't connected yet that grains/starch/sugar were the biggest part of my problem and that a dietary change had to be permanent.

By about age 35-36 I found Dr. Cordain's "The Paleo Diet" but unfortunately the anti-fat approach was a big huge fail for me. I understand his reasoning for his recommendations but avoiding fat is always the worst thing for me to do. So, instead of looking deeper into Paleo, I tried to go back to "healthy" grain and legume based diet and of course sticking with that was impossible.

It was another 3 years or more when i found Mark Sisson and the rest is history. Now I read a lot of Paleo viewpoints but it was the Primal Blueprint that finally stuck (well, I read it at least a year before finally going ketogenic Primal - sometimes it takes me quite awhile to finally decide to do something lol). I continue to read a wide variety of topics on health and nutrition, and even history and anthropology as they directly relate (love the work of Dr. Price).

The biggest difference with my past experiences and now is that before it as all about weight loss. Now it's all about health. I have never ever stuck with one lifestyle for over two years, or found it so easy to get back after straying (never with wheat). I have resolved so many health problems that I truly see Paleo as the answer for everything. Not everyone agrees.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I have resolved so many health problems that I truly see Paleo as the answer for everything. Not everyone agrees.

QFT. My mom has RA and I KNOW she would be better off if she'd go paleo, but her quack doctor thinks the answer is always more meds. Pisses me off.
  • engineergirl1
    engineergirl1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It has been a long journey for me. I grew up on processed and packaged food: tv dinners, canned soups, spaghetti with jarred sauce, macaroni and cheese, etc. When I got married I realized I wanted to be healthier and that the first step would be cooking my own meals. I got some cookbooks and slowly started experimenting with chicken breast, eventually I added in ground beef to my rotation.

It took a few years of leaning toward "healthier" cookbooks before I started making more significant changes. I wasn't changing in weight any and my husband and I still ate out a lot. We switched to "clean eating" or "real food" and dumped everything processed/refined from the house. We still had whole grain breads/pastas, brown rice, potatoes, beans, soy and dairy though in regular rotation. We ate like this for 2 years, then one summer we tried carb cycling. That worked amazing for my husband he got super lean and fit and added a lot of muscle, and I just didn't see any changes.

After the holidays I was back up to my peak weight (175lbs, at 5'11, really not bad, but just not what I wanted) and I decided to change our diet again. I was on pinterest and saw a friend had started paleo, so I decided I was going to do it too. This was January 2013. I did an elimination diet, but it wasn't quite a Whole30 because I still made paleo desserts and used honey/maple syrup/etc. I still experienced phenomenal improvement. My chronic headaches were cured, my energy skyrocketed, I lost 10 lbs, my stomach had never felt better and I was so happy!

I've been somewhere around 80/20 since. I fell off for a few months probably closer to 60/40 and made it pack to my peak weight again. I then made some adjustments and participated in the Whole Life Challenge, which ran May through June. I had a pretty eventful and stressful past few months but decided I need to get it together. I am currently training to compete in my first bikini competition and doing it while I stick to paleo. I started a Whole30 last week and am on day 7. I'm happy to say I am currently at 155 which is the lowest weight I've been as an adult. I am also back to the crazy energy, crazy happy version of myself.
  • alyssasphone
    Options
    My husband and my daughter both play Rugby and are very much into Crossfit. When they came to me and said they wanted to go Paleo to improve their sport performances. After reading about it and researching, I realized that a lot of my health problems were related to my diet. Just switching to a Paleo diet, no additional exercise etc. I dropped 30 pounds fast. No more migraines. No more lack of energy, depression, trouble focusing etc. I was doing great until I got unexpectedly pregnant at 41 and lost the baby at 5 months along. After that, my weight went up 50 pounds due to my depression/dropping off Paleo eating etc.

Now, I'm back on the Paleo diet. It's been over 50 days and I've dropped 31+ pounds. I feel so much better and I look healthier too. I'm very happy with the Paleo lifestyle!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I have resolved so many health problems that I truly see Paleo as the answer for everything. Not everyone agrees.

QFT. My mom has RA and I KNOW she would be better off if she'd go paleo, but her quack doctor thinks the answer is always more meds. Pisses me off.

I can relate so much. The doctors have destroyed the quality of life for my grandparents for the last 50 years with all the procedures and meds but the rest of my family think it's a huge success because they are still alive in their 90s (one is from a family that is long lived anyway). Longevity is the only thing that matters? Fifty years of (unnecessary) sickness and suffering is a win? :noway:

Those same family members are constantly sick and in pain and they excuse taking any kind of responsibility for their own health by saying it's "genetic", "I'm too old", "it's too late". Frankly, it's hard to listen to it after awhile and they find my positivity and solution minded attitude hard to listen to as well. I've set the example, provided the information and there's nothing else to do. However, I do NOT listen to all the gripes and instead remind them that it's up to them to do something about it. Then I change the topic.

They've seen the huge difference in my life, comment frequently on how well I am doing, but somehow they think I'm a special snowflake and won't even TRY in their own lives. So be it. It's very hard to watch loved ones continue to CHOOSE to destroy themselves (which is especially the case with my mom) when one knows there is another option, but it is their choice and the best we can do is be a quiet example of what is possible. People come to things in their own time and sometimes not at all, unfortunately. We have to find a way to love them while also accepting what they choose for themselves, even if it's a life of sickness and suffering. :cry:
  • lizzygirl1312
    lizzygirl1312 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Health issues. I have Celiac Disease and Candida. Although there are a few things on Paleo that I'm not supposed to have because of the Candida, it's the plan that makes the most sense for me.

I was doing it faithfully at the beginning of the year, and I felt amazing! I got really into cooking the Paleo way. I wish I never stopped - but I can't focus on that. I have to keep moving forward!

I am so looking forward to sleeping and having energy, along with losing weight.
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I had been battling my weight for ages and my career was on the line because if I failed another fitness test I would be kicked out of the military. My dad had a student of his ask him if cavemen at bugs, so the nerd that he is went on a google search. In his search he came across the "caveman diet" and spent all day reading about it (it was summer school and he was there just as a chaperone if the "team" was called for a disruptive student) that day he dtiched the bread from his sub and started eating "paleo". He told me about it and I was skeptical, especially since i had monthly appointments with a RD and had to show my food journal every time i saw her. I knew she would balk at my not having any grains, beans or potatoes on my log. I didn't see him again for about six weeks and in that time frame he had lost 27 pounds and 7 inches from his waist. I knew then I had to try it.

It was like a miracle. I lost 10 pounds the first month, which after three years on the fitness program and monthly visits to the RD with only about 10 pounds lost in 36 months...just amazing. After 6 months I was down almost 50 pounds, and over 10 inches from my waist. It saved my career.

Later in research after I was struggling again to lose weight after having my son, I learned there is a link between gluten intolerance and thryoid disease, especially if it is auto-immune thyroid. It solidified my need to be on a paleo template long term. I am not perfect by any means, I still eat a good pizza or bread on occasion but it is very rare. It literally saved my career.
  • Roseygirl1
    Options
    Wow.....what journeys! I'm glad I'm here!

Thank you to everyone who has shared and will continue to do so. This is an amazing group.

Rosey
  • carrieann8
    carrieann8 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    When I found out I was severely lactose intolerant, I started searching for dairy free recipes and found Paleo in the process. I found recipes easier by searching for Paleo recipes. So I read up on Paleo for about a year while using Paleo recipes frequently at home, but still eating dairy free breads and other dairy free non-Paleo foods. Then I decided to commit 64 days ago.
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Me? Well I was getting fat, (again) and so I fired up the Atkin's diet, although I knew it was not sustainable (it was my third time). After a month or so I heard about Cauliflower pizza and went looking for recipe which took me to Mark's Daily Apple and a few other sites and the bell rung. I was so tired of the ups and downs so I researched it and knew this would work for me because I love fresh whole foods and the stuff that got me to where I was, was not that mostly. Everyone I know is still waiting for me to fail and start eating junk again but this has gone on so long I see no need to change what I am doing, and I have several converts at work getting healthy.
  • DorkyUnicorn
    DorkyUnicorn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I happened to overhear a girl in my women's studies class in university talking about a new way she was eating called paleo and how great it was in regards to feeling better and her skin clearing up, etc and I had logged that information in the back of my mind. Several months later, after a long period of unemployment and having way too much time to think it popped into my mind again. After a quick Google search, I decided to borrow The Primal Blueprint from my local library and quickly devoured it. I connected with so many of the points outlined in the book: general feelings of lack of energy, inability to go for longer periods without a meal, inability to stick to traditional weight loss diets, stomach aches at almost every meal, constant bloatedness, the sense of eating more aligned to our ancient ancestors, etc. I decided to go for it, and it was a decision I wish I could have made many years ago :) I still feel this is the best way of eating for me simply because of all the health benefits I've received from it (ease of weight loss, consistent energy, remarkably diminished food cravings and stomach aches, etc.).
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I can't really remember, but I think I was inspired by someone on MFP. And I thought, why not look into it? She was passionately talking about how happy she was to feel so fulfilled, and lose her excess weight. My mom had been telling me grains were a bad idea, but I always thought it was hogwash before. I read up on everything on Mark's Daily Apple, and it made sense to me to eat more nutritious, whole foods, so I gave it a whirl. In a nutshell, the health benefits have been amazing. I have noticed both physical and mental changes! I did Primal for a long time last year, fell off the wagon, and now I'm back on with a vengeance :) I don't even miss grains. I have to say the very best part is not craving and overeating is no longer an issue.
  • nickymaire
    nickymaire Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I got on MPF after getting chubby whilst living in Europe. I was freaking out about going home to NZ for xmas to summer/bikini weather and being fat. So I found MFP and counted calories like an idiot. Completely miserable the whole time. I had friended a German girl on here and she had a freaking awesome body and was super active and she keep talking about paleo. I thought bless this poor German girl, she must have bad English and she's probably confuse the word paleo with something else....Cos why was she talking about a time period on a diet and fitness site? Anyway I lost a bit of weight through CICO and after a summer in NZ returned to Sweden and forgot about it.

Moved back to NZ and after slowly gaining weight back, found out I had a wedding to attend. My sister looks like barbie, tall, skinny, blonde. I was short and chubby and was fretting standing next to my sister and the rest of my skinny and super tall family members in wedding pics looking like a whale. So back on to MFP and CICO. But it didn't work...the more I dieted the more miserable I was and I wasn't losing any weight. The German girl on my FL update her profile pic to show off her lean and muscly bod and again mentioned paleo. So I googled it. One week out from the wedding and I swapped to primal/paleo. Lost over 2kgs and a lot of centimeters and thought great. Went to the wedding and forgot about paleo.

Several months later summer was approaching. My friend invited me to the beach and I found I couldn't get my bikini bottoms over my thighs. So back to MFP but this time I thought I'll do that paleo thing again. Five days in I noticed I didn't have a headache and my chronic back and neck pain that I'd had for 11 years started disappearing. I lost weight and felt great.

I started paleo for the weight loss and stayed for the health benefits.
  • maria_antoinette
    maria_antoinette Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Very Interesting.. I was not looking for anything.. I was going along in my life Starving at 1000-1200 calories to maintain my weight of 131 for like 20 years.... I love to talk about this so on a trip to CHICAGO i mentioned to my CROSSFIT cousins my diet and they told me i was crazy.... They told me about PALEO and i figured i would try it just to lose 5 lbs. and add a few calories..

WHAT IT DID however was change my life.... I did not even realize that all my stomach issues were the FOOD i was eating.. I did not realize that starving was stupid.. I am really happy.. I am on a path to try and fix my metabolism right now.. so even if it takes me a year or more, i am resetting my calories to 1500 and hopefully 1800 one day to maintain this weight..
  • DellaWiedel
    DellaWiedel Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I actually started by doing a LCHF/Ketogenic diet, but realized what I was doing was basically the Primal Blueprint anyway, since I didn't do the processed foods like some people on low carb plans do. Basically all that left was meats, eggs, full fat dairy, low carb veggies, occasional nuts and berries.

I like this way of eating because it's helped with multiple health problems including anxiety, insomnia, gallbladder pain, and acid reflux. I had been taking medicine for all of those on a regular basis but I've been medicine free since April! :)

The weight loss has been great too, but even without the weight loss I would keep eating this way for the health benefits. :)
  • Roseygirl1
    Options
    Della that's amazing! Thanks for sharing your journey towards wellness.

Rosey
  • GrokGranny
    GrokGranny Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I actually stumbled upon Mark Sisson's book, The Primal Blueprint, before it was released. I emailed him and we had a fabulous conversation. We were close in age. I was working at the time with an Integrative MD as her nutritional consultant in the area of food sensitivity. I also was a patient! I had lost 100 pounds but had stalled in my weight loss and had a whole lot of digestive issues. My gallbladder was gone, I was Celiac and Casein allergic...with multiple sensitivities of my own. I had reduced my sensitivities from an all time high of 23 down to 5, but I was prone to Leaky Gut and was sooooo frustrated!

As soon as Mark's book came out, I ordered it. Then the cookbook. I gave it to my doc as a Christmas present and began to counsel my clients in the benefits of Paleo. It's been a process for me (holding out for the one piece of GF toast in the morning!) but I actually feel better when I don't eat it. Also, for me, I still need to take supplements for digestive support (Ox Bile, HCL, digestive enzymes and probiotics.) GI tract does not function optimally without those add-in's. But the proper Primal/Diet is first and foremost what I know my body needs.

BTW...Mark laughed at my name (Grok Granny.) ha ha Those were the early days. I am sure he has seen multiple variations of "Grok" since.
  • curvytattooedprincess
    Options
    Severely gluten intolerant ( sore tummy, rash, headaches the works) so been gluten free for a few years but some of the symptoms were not going away like fatigue and headaches. When Google gluten free recipes the word paleo kept coming up and after some research decided to try it. Been paleo for 2 months and I have so much more energy and my symptoms are gone!!!!!!