Introduction

Options
Hi my name is Michelle I'm currently 260lbs and I am on my 3 week liquid diet I'm going to have the gastric sleeve my surgery date is scheduled for 9/9/14. and I'm very scared and excited all at the same time!

Replies

• acturney
    acturney Posts: 19
    Options
    Hi my name is Angie. I'm currently 261 lbs and I am on my 2 week liquid pre-op diet. I'm having the gastric sleeve and my surgery date is scheduled for 9/3/14. I'm completely ready and excited. Only a little nervous about adjusting post surgery.
  • original_mami
    original_mami Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi Angie! and Welcome thank you so much for joining my group I'm so excited for you! I feel the same way I'm anxious about after I have NO IDEA what to expect I'm hoping members who have had the surgery also join the group and shed some light. 2 week liquid diet you lucky *kitten* HAHA I got 3 weeks and I'm only on 1.5 week :( the 5 day before surgery do you know what your going to eat? I mean I can't have any salads there goes 1 meal LOL
  • wgrill
    wgrill Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My name is Wendy, I was hoping a group like this had been added...I have just begun the process and will be looking forward to surgery in December. I am 234. Just turned 65 and had to look at medicare issues and part D (for Drugs) I recognized that I cannot afford to grow old being fat. I cant afford being diabetic. I know there is a 90 percent chance that I will not be diabetic when this is over. Doing this makes me feel like I am taking back control of my life. my heart sinks when I hear freinds and others try to talk me out of it. I really do need the support. I am glad that both of you are not quite to the surgery yet. I want to hear from you, being slightly behind your process you can keep me encouraged (I hope). The decision was so cut and dry for me, I really have a hard time with the negatives (from skinny people)
  • original_mami
    Options
    Hi Wendy I'm so glad to have you here! I too have a lot of medical problems that are thank god curable with weight loss. I have negative people in my life too that tell me I'm taking the easy way out that I can do this on my own but I just look at them and think to myself YOU DON'T HAVE MY HEALTH PROBLEMS, YOU DON'T KNOW MY BODY. I'm so sorry that you have to deal with that on your end this group is for anyone who has had WLS or just starting out so it doesn't matter where you are in the process of it I'm just glad your here to share your story with us :) I am truly thankful for that. Also don't feel discouraged by those negative comments from everything I've read and all the research I've done WLS is life changing and for the better just remember misery loves company and Envy is an ugly monster. They don't know what you have to deal with on a daily basis and they don't know your body just smile and say I want to live longer and healthier why is that a problem??
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Hi All -

My name is Kristen and I just joiced MFP last night, so I've been poking around. SO glad to see this group! I had RNY on 7/17 so I'm still learning (and re-learning and re-re-learning) how to live with my new tiny fuel tank. I had a pretty uneventful surgery and recovery, but even with all the research I did beforehand, it's been harder than I thought; both physically and mentally. But it has also been completely and totally worth it. I'm just about 6 weeks out and I'm down 37 lbs. from a starting weight of 311. I feel better than I have in years. I'm looking forward to sharing this unique weight loss journey with all of you!
  • mikesgirl4evr
    mikesgirl4evr Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies, my name is Dee and I live in the St. Louis area. I had my RNY on 04/04/2006 and it is a decision I have never regretted.

I started gaining weight early in life when I was sexually molested by my uncle. When my mom saw that I was gaining weight she decided I needed to diet and thus began the restrictions and my opposition to them. I began hiding food, sneaking food and secretly eating. All of which eventually became a food addiction. I have been on every "diet" imaginable to man. By the time I married in 1991, I weighed in at about 275 pounds. It was an abusive marriage which as you can imagine didn't help my eating disorder. Food was my best friend after all. When the marriage ended in 2003, I weighed in at 525 pounds. When my son, Cody, was 8 years old I was told that if I didn't do something drastic I wouldn't see his 10th birthday. Since there was no way in h&## I was going to let my ex get custody, I needed to stay in my son's life. My pcp referred me to a bariatric center and thus the progress begun. Day of surgery I weighed in at 500 pounds. Within about a year and a half I was down to 250 and feeling fantastic. Wanting to have a "real" relationship with a man, I began going out and trying to meet men. Problem was that since I hadn't dealt with the sexual abuse when men began flirting with me, all of my triggers came rushing back. I needed to protect myself. And how did I do that.......food. Within a fairly short amount of time I managed to go all the way back up to 370 pounds. To this day, I'm still not sure what made me finally put an end to the gain but I'm glad I did. I began listening to my pouch again and following all the rules. The weight is much harder to get off this time around but I am slowly but surely doing it. I now have the support of a very wonderful man, Michael, and feel that I can do anything I set my mind to. I'm currently down to 294 and at a plateau but I'll wait it out and keep doing what I know I should. I know in my heart that if I do that, the scale will eventually move downward again.

I did notice that at the time of my joining, I was the only post-WLS member. I also noticed that most, if not all of you, are opting for the sleeve. While I had the RNY instead of the sleeve I will try to help you in any way I can. I'm only a message or a post away. I look forward to being able to give support and encouragement as well as motivation and encouragement from all of you.

Dee ( in HOT St. Louis, MO)
  • mikesgirl4evr
    Options
    Oh forgot to mention.......Wendy and Michelle (and anyone else this may apply to), I also had all the negative people who tried to talk me out of having the surgery. Some went as far as telling me that I could die during the surgery which I promptly responded " I could drop dead right here because my body and most importantly my heart can not handle 500+ pounds. At least if I die on the table my son knows that i died trying to make my life better." Do not let them discourage you from your surgery. Like Michelle stated, they aren't living in your body and therefore have NO idea what you are going through. I have NEVER, not even for one day, regretted having WLS. Even with the ups and downs (including the weight gain), it was the best decision of my life!!! YOU know what YOU need and what is right for YOU. Never forget that.
  • AngryViking1970
    Options
    I avoided the negativity altogether by just not telling anyone. haha My husband and my son are the only people who know and they are both incredibly supportive. I don't live near the rest of my family so they don't need to be (and are not) involved in my day to day. Oh, and a couple of friends at work know, too, but they don't really say much.
  • original_mami
    Options
    Hello Kristen and welcome! I'm so happy about the success my group is already becoming I'm so happy everyone is here. I'm completely new to the WLS lingo what does MFP and RNY mean? and finally some insight on AFTER surgery. That is what has me so anxious I have NO IDEA what to expect and I'm shaking in my boots LOL
  • original_mami
    Options
    Welcome Dee! thank you so much for sharing your story and for the wonderful support I'm so happy to have you! I absolutely love your profile picture you look amazing!
  • AngryViking1970
    Options
    Sorry, I'm a lazy typer..MFP is My FItness Pal and RNY is the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery that I had. What surgery are you having?

As far as shaking in your boots, I'd be scared if you weren't at least a little nervous. LOL
  • mikesgirl4evr
    Options
    Thank you Michelle. I put that as my profile picture because sometimes I get so focused on how far I still have to go that I forget just how far I've come. It's a wonderful reminder. And I have to agree with Kristen, I'd be worried if you weren't nervous, lol.

Edit: By the way, if anyone would like to send me a friend request I'd gladly accept.
  • Chris10_9817
    Chris10_9817 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Christina. I had the lapband surgery 3/4/14. I have lost 55 pounds so far and still have 35 more to go. I have PCOS which makes losing weight really hard and with a combination of bad genes my weight was out of control. Even with eating healthy and working out I would get no where. This has been my a really good decision for me. I wish everyone good luck on their journey's.
  • original_mami
    Options
    No need to apologize I'm lazy in general LOL j.k

I'm having the Gastric Sleeve it's set up for the 9th of Sept. I'm currently on my 3 week liquid diet and I'm starving lol <not kidding
    some days are harder than others but I sure do look forward to lunch haha

If you haven't checked out my blog page I'll tell you a little about me here. I'm 31 years old I have been heavy for a big chunk of my life starting in my teen years as the years went by I just got heavier and heavier and devolved health problems on top of being overweight. I never considered my self as "morbid obese" but I am for my height and weight.

I've tried all kinds of diets but always kept "falling off the wagon" here's an example back in 2005 I was on a 3 month diet which consisted of 1000 calorie diet no carbs no sweets no cheats strict I lost 50 pounds then I fell hard and gained 100 in less than a year. HOLY *kitten* is right LOL

I never knew why I always failed at diets until I came up on WLS I did research and talked to friends and family who have had a WLS and that's when I decided I can't do it alone and the reason I fail is because I STAY hungry even after eating

My heaviest weight was 290 I dropped to 250 then shot back up to 275 and back to 260 my current weight

So after failed attempts right after another I decided that the sleeve was for me I'm scared of course it's only natural but I also have never felt so confident in a decision and that's how I know I've made the right one.

I will be doing the same thing with the pics.... I will be giving you guys an inside look of my process I'll post pics before and after everything I experience you'll know about it I want to take this journey with you guys and follow your journeys too this group isn't just about me it's about ALL of us :smile:
  • original_mami
    Options
    Hello Christina thank you so much for joining my group we are all so happy to have you here and sharing your story please add me as a friend and again Welcome!
  • PixieQueen25
    PixieQueen25 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi. I only joined to learn things about the dc inference surgeries. ...what is the cheapest?
  • original_mami
    Options
    Hi Pixie and welcome glad to have you :) I don't know the answer to your question but I'm sure someone will lol again thank you so much for joining we're all very supportive here
  • mistyb1972
    Options
    Hi! My name is Misty and I have had a lifetime of health issues. I have been on many prescription drugs over my life and have had MANY undesirable side effects. I just recently told my cardio to take these drugs and shove them! I have always been able to keep my labs in check with exercise and diet but when things go crazy I slack off on eating right and exercising and then my labs go crazy again. So anyway, I started back to the gym in Jan 2014 (after 8 year hiatus) and my labs got better. However, life caught up with me again in May and in July my labs were crazy again. So I am back hitting the gym and doing low carb but the weight just won't come off!!! I recently started working with a trainer and going 5 to 6 days a week. I am seriously considering by pass surgery. I understand there is a lot involved. I am scared some health issues may be may worse, like IBS. However, I think my blood pressure and diabetes will resolve.
  • mikesgirl4evr
    Options
    Pixie, not exactly sure what dc inference surgeries are.
  • mzco14
    mzco14 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi, my doctor has recommended I see a WLS but I'm scared. Not sure what to do. I've lost and gained weight over the years. Not at my heaviest but not at my smallest either. Hoping to see information for you guys and make a decision really soon.