Lost slowly then - I just stopped losing....

Options
Hi guys! I don't mean to sound so negative but I can't lose weight. I'm so upset and I was stressed and crying on Saturday. Once again, to recap, my lowest weight was 252 WAY back on 8/9. And I haven't seen it since. Crept up to 254 the next week, then I've been 255 ever since. I've been in Keto, eating right and even started a boot camp with 5-day-a-week workouts and NOTHING. I weighted in for the bootcamp at 254...I just really don't understand. i was so frustrated on Saturday that I ate WTF I wanted. Pizza, chocolate cake...a burger on a bun. WHATEVER. I know that's not the answer but I was so mad at working for nothing. I'm trying to stay motivated, and today I started a 4-day fat fast to get back in keto and hopefully shock my body after the weekend. I may have binged too soon because this Saturday is weigh -in day for the 3-week bootcamp and even though I'm, sure I won't have lost weight I'm hoping the inches have changed. The last time I weighed in I had gone up in weight by 3 pounds but I had lost inches. I'm just feeling really defeated and almost wanted to quit, IDK what I'm doing wrong. Any help or suggestions. Maybe I gained muscle? But I think that's just an excuse - I need to lose WEIGHT.

Replies

• Kiwi_Billings
    Kiwi_Billings Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard, but keep hanging in there.... Sounds like you are doing a lot right, I have been there too.... Then after a couple
    of days pressing on with doing the right things, the weight drops a couple of pounds. Be sure you are getting enough sleep
    too!
  • aleehagen
    aleehagen Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Without being able to view your diary it's really hard to tell what is going on.

What's your daily caloric intake? What percentages are you aiming for? Do you IF or are you eating several meals a day? Are you eating "convenience" products, or sugar free candies? Are you focusing your dietary consumption on whole single ingredient foods? Are you getting enough water? Are you hitting your protein goal, reducing carbs sufficiently and eat fat to satiety? Are you weighing and measuring everything and logging it into MFP religiously to hold yourself accountable? Are you taking measurements every 2-4 weeks?

You have lost 20 pounds, have you rechecked your daily caloric goal and adjusted accordingly? I wasn't losing as quickly as I started and realized that my daily intake was higher than it should be and have since lost 3 pounds. All I had to do was readjust my stats in MFP. Your daily intake goes down as your weight goes down to continue to lose weight.

You don't need to workout to lose weight... it's a fallacy that has been pushed on society. I've lost 60+ pounds and haven't worked out at all. Also sometimes I don't lose on the scale, but will lose in inches as the body recomposes itself and shifts things around. The scale is not your god, it's a tool to aid you in your journey.

The Fat Fast will help, but unfortunately it's not an end all be all. You want some help and we are here to help you out. Also check out the subreddit r/keto. Lots of great advice and people on there too. There are several regular posters there that have 10+ years experience with the Keto lifestyle and have helped me get over a few speed bumps in my journey as well.

Just remember Keep Calm and Keto On!
  • kiknitwite
    kiknitwite Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    YES!!! KCKO!

Thanks Aleehagen! Ok sooo.... my caloric intake is 1565, 80, 15, 5. Should I eat my calories back? I wondered if I was eating too big of a deficit? The calculator said i should be eating 1615 but I wanted a bigger deficit. But I do ok with the macros. Usually it's more like 77/17/5 but I don't think that's too off, right? Also I cut WAY back on pepporoni and I cook - alot. So real whole foods mostly. Sugar free candies, maybe as a treat 1x week. I drink half my body weight in water. What do you mean "Fat to satiety"? I log great during the week, but not gonna lie, I get lazy on the weekends. And I'm due for my measurments on friday so we can see.

I will look into subreddit r/keto more, I probe there some, but not as much as MFP. I know the Fat Fast isn't the end all, but I'm hoping it will help kinda reset things for me and get going in the right direction. Thanks again!
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    How many calories are you burning with exercise?
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    The last time I weighed in I had gone up in weight by 3 pounds but I had lost inches.

That means you're losing fat. The bootcamp idea and going crazy with exercise almost certainly caused your body to hold on to a bunch of extra water for awhile. And that's not a bad thing. If you lost inches, you did something good for yourself, even if the scale didn't reflect it. Over time that water would come back off and you'd lose weight too, but it requires patience. The first 6 months I was on keto I didn't exercise at all and lost weight extremely steadily. I decided to join a gym and start working on my fitness level, and my weight loss stalled for a full month. But in that month I felt great and lost inches everywhere. Eventually the weight started dropping again. I stressed about the number on the scale a little even though I knew I was doing something that was great for my overall health. That's natural. But really, the measurements tell you more about what's happening than the number on the scale.

If you've been in ketosis for a good while, you'll get back in pretty easily after a couple cheat days. Different people have different ideas about the fat fast, its probably not necessary but it probably won't hurt either. You're frustrated, and when you get frustrated its easy to push yourself to extremes to try to get the results you want. My thinking at this point would be to relax, get back into ketosis, and push for a couple good, consistent weeks, log *everything*, weigh things on a food scale to be doubly sure. Remind yourself, or post here or on r/keto on reddit for us to remind you that inches lost means more than pounds lost for your overall health and progress. If you continue to feel stalled out after some time, share your food log here and on reddit and get some suggestions.
    What do you mean "Fat to satiety"

So I'll use myself as an example. My macros are set at 20g carbs, 125g protein, 160g fat. That adds up to about 2050 calories. So no matter what I want to stay at or under 20g carbs, that is the most important and most strict rule, obviously. Ideally I want to try to eat exactly 125g protein a day. Too far under that and I may start losing muscle mass. The fat, however, is really just an upper limit. The idea is to eat as much fat as you need to feel satisfied. If that happens to be less than 160g, great. Fewer calories and more weight loss, hooray!
  • kiknitwite
    kiknitwite Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    THANKS!!!!

I burn about 430 calories at each work out. Plus walking twice a day. At 1565 calories should I change my macros and up my calories? According to the calculators I should be eating about 1950 calories now.... I though the point was NOT to eat back the calories...
  • aleehagen
    aleehagen Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've recently had to play with my calorie goal, I was eating 2000-2100 each day and wasn't seeing much progress (according to Fitbit I burn 3-4k per day with my job) so I was advised to reduce my calorie goal as I've lost significant weight and am probably eating closer to maintenance at that daily intake. I reduced my calorie goal to 1700 and saw 3 pounds of loss on the scale at this week's weigh-in! I don't eat back calories from activity unless I'm really hungry, but I don't really get hungry anymore either, at least not uncontrollably so and can usually just drink some water and I'm good to go.