Gained 10lbs in one month on paleo diet

Options

Replies

• Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Yes I won't cut on any vegetables this is the only thing I shouldn't worry about but I'm gonna to eat 1/2-1 cup of sweet potatoes at night to see if it works better for me. Yes AiP it is not easy but at least I will know what my body can tolerate or not. For the meat I'm pretty happy because I can find grass-fed beef pretty easily and I found out that at my local central market they have grass -fed lamb and and cheap pastured eggs and at whole food market I find the pastured raised chicken. The only problem for me is to find bacon and ham without sugar :/. When it comes to protein, somebody says that I should keep my protein intake around 60g so I've been only eating protein for breakfast and dinner maybe I don't need to avoid protein for lunch after all..

Only 60 grams of protein seems a bit low to me. At your weight 70-140 is the proper range of protein.
  • debou5
    debou5 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Okay then I'll eat more. Thanks :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Yes I won't cut on any vegetables this is the only thing I shouldn't worry about but I'm gonna to eat 1/2-1 cup of sweet potatoes at night to see if it works better for me. Yes AiP it is not easy but at least I will know what my body can tolerate or not. For the meat I'm pretty happy because I can find grass-fed beef pretty easily and I found out that at my local central market they have grass -fed lamb and and cheap pastured eggs and at whole food market I find the pastured raised chicken. The only problem for me is to find bacon and ham without sugar :/. When it comes to protein, somebody says that I should keep my protein intake around 60g so I've been only eating protein for breakfast and dinner maybe I don't need to avoid protein for lunch after all..

Where did you get the 60g number from?

The general guideline is 1-2g/kg (or about .5-1g/lb) of lean body weight. So, for example, you at 140lb, let's say you're at 20% body fat. That puts you at about 112lb of lean body weight (140*.2 = 28; 140-28=112).

That means at bare minimum, you should be consuming 56g of protein, and by "bare minimum," I mean if you're sedentary and not looking to lose weight. When you're looking to lose weight, even if it's just through diet, you want to get closer to the 1g/lb mark, to avoid losing too much lean mass. That means you want to aim for closer to 100g, and unless you're trying to maintain ketosis, it's even okay to go over a little (though not at the expense of fat -- make sure you're getting at least .35g/lb of total body weight in fat to support proper hormone and cell function).
  • debou5
    Options
    100g seems good. It was earlier on this post on the first page somebody says "keep it under 60g". And on MFP I entered my goals macro as 20% carbs, 65% fat and 15% protein so it was around 60g but I just changed so it looks like that now: 15% carbs, 25% proteins, 60% fat which seems better.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    100g seems good. It was earlier on this post on the first page somebody says "keep it under 60g".
    The ketogenics crowd still wants to do the low-low-carb thing, but that's not for the average bloke. If you're an athletics buff or someone who is shooting for an abnormally low bodyfat percentage (and I'm not talking about those who need do if for medical reasons), then 50g or under is the recommendation. But for us 'normal folks', 50-100g is the sweet spot. You hit it if you leave the carrots out - or put them in. Hunter/gatherers eat what they find - which means the macros fluctuate from day to day.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    100g seems good. It was earlier on this post on the first page somebody says "keep it under 60g".
    The ketogenics crowd still wants to do the low-low-carb thing, but that's not for the average bloke. If you're an athletics buff or someone who is shooting for an abnormally low bodyfat percentage (and I'm not talking about those who need do if for medical reasons), then 50g or under is the recommendation. But for us 'normal folks', 50-100g is the sweet spot. You hit it if you leave the carrots out - or put them in. Hunter/gatherers eat what they find - which means the macros fluctuate from day to day.

The 60g thing was reference to protein, not carbs.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

Since a lot of "average blokes" are now metabolically disordered, low carb is one of the first places to explore for treatment. However, 100 grams can be called "low carb" in comparison to SAD and MFP defaults and yet I consider it "high". Gets confusing.

Agreed that 50-100 grams of total carbs is likely great for most folks though (apparently not me, waaahhhh!).... with an eye on the SUGAR.
  • debou5
    Options
    Oh ok I misunderstood. I checked my book and for weight loss and on a 2,000 calorie diet the carbs recommendation (only starchy vegetables and fruits) is 50-75g. So like if I eat a big sweet potato a day I'll get like 40g of carbs so my pancakes were like waaay over it since 1 cup of plantain is like 48g of carbs. I'm going to follow this and not count vegetables as carbs. I'll eat fruit occasionally and if I drink juice I'll cut on fruits because I must admit it is pretty convenient when I'm in class and got no time to eat.
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I did breakfast smoothies for about a week and half before I started getting hungry and hungrier before lunch; slowly started eating lunch earlier and earlier, so this post was helpful for me. Its back to spinach omelettes with a tablespoon of coconut oil, well, until I either run out of spinach or get bored with that. I have deer sausage I was thinking about adding to breakfast with kale, but that's for another post I guess. Good luck to you.
  • debou5
    Options
    Yes I saw that that much sugar in the morning was not good, which I could've remember when I was eating my plantain pancakes for breakfast -_-..
  • debou5
    Options
    So I'm not eating pancakes for breakfast, I usually eat beef patties with a smoothie (avocado, 1 cup pineapple, 1 cup almond milk) or with some shredded coconut and milk or I eat lamb with kelp noodles. For lunch I eat a salad with a bunch of veggies and a Larabar, for dinner it is usually some meat, half of my plate veggies and I had to reintroduce rice so I eat maybe 1/4-1/2cup of rice. I do not know where. I am going wrong now because I gained 2lbs this week. I know the scale number changes but like I'm going to gain 1lbs it stays there for a few days then another pound for a few days... It goes up and up and up... I really start to think that I have thyroid issues even though the test I took came back normal. I know I should not worry about the scale but I just want to make sure I'm doing it right because when I was eating my pancakes for breakfast I thought I was doing good because it was made out of plantain but I wasn't..
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    So I'm not eating pancakes for breakfast, I usually eat beef patties with a smoothie (avocado, 1 cup pineapple, 1 cup almond milk) or with some shredded coconut and milk or I eat lamb with kelp noodles. For lunch I eat a salad with a bunch of veggies and a Larabar, for dinner it is usually some meat, half of my plate veggies and I had to reintroduce rice so I eat maybe 1/4-1/2cup of rice. I do not know where. I am going wrong now because I gained 2lbs this week. I know the scale number changes but like I'm going to gain 1lbs it stays there for a few days then another pound for a few days... It goes up and up and up... I really start to think that I have thyroid issues even though the test I took came back normal. I know I should not worry about the scale but I just want to make sure I'm doing it right because when I was eating my pancakes for breakfast I thought I was doing good because it was made out of plantain but I wasn't..

First, why do you need the rice? Nutrient-speaking, rice is little more than pure starch with a few vitamins and minerals (the amounts pale in comparison to vegetables).

Second, what tests has your doctor run? If you and s/he are concerned about your thyroid, TSH isn't the only test that needs run. In fact, it's probably the worst one, especially for how they measure it. Seriously, TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is to thyroid what insulin is to insulin sensitivity -- higher isn't necessarily better (because higher amounts means it takes more to get the intended effect). Make sure you're getting your free T3, free T3, and reverse T3 measured.

Additionally, make sure to get your fasting insulin checked. A large percentage of women have endocrine issues that raise insulin, and they're rarely diagnosed. This is different from the glucose test, and it's possible to have normal glucose and elevated insulin (again, because it takes more insulin to get to that level of blood sugar). Anything over 20mIU/L is considered pre-diabetic, but even if yours is in the teens, especially high teens, it might be too high for your body. Under 10 is ideal. If your insulin is elevated, then you're going to need to rethink your foods.

A cup of pineapple is 23g of carbs, with 16 of that being sugar. The milk, assuming it's cow's milk, is another 13g, all of which being sugar. That's 29g of sugar in that smoothie. Coconut milk isn't much better if you're getting the carton of "non-dairy beverage."

Are you exercising? Especially if you just started a new routine or increased the intensity, you're going to gain a few pounds. This is because your body is holding on to water for repair. It will come off in a few weeks, after your body gets used to the new routine.

You might want to try a Whole 30. Put the scale away for a month and focus on strict Paleo/Whole 30 approved foods for a month, without the Larabars, rice, milk, etc. If nothing else, to help you retrain your brain and stop focusing on the scale so damn much.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Okay, stop. You're over thinking things. Paleo isn't that hard, but you're treating it like all the other fad diets you've tried.

Paleo is not a fad diet. It is a lifestyle change. Remember that.

Now, what does that mean?

- Eat real food -- meats, vegetables, some fruits, some nuts, fats that are primarily monounsaturated or saturated fats (butter, avocado, coconut, etc)
    - Eat the right amount of food -- don't try to starve yourself. Weight loss happens on Paleo, if you need it, because you're adequately nourished and you have healthy habits and a healthy relationship with food.
    - Get enough of the right exercise -- Mark Sisson (Primal Blueprint) puts it well, I think: "move frequently at a slow pace, sprint and lift heavy things once in a while." In other words, maintain a good fitness foundation through walking a lot, and when you have the extra energy, do a short, high-intensity workout. Don't try to run marathons in an effort to be healthy and lose weight, because long endurance cardio routines are actually counterproductive.
    - Focus on things other than the scale -- The point is to get healthy. So focus on that. When you're healthy (actually healthy, not some arbitrary number on the scale), your body will naturally regulate weight itself, just like it regulates body temperature, blood pressure, blood sugar, etc when healthy.

Throughout the posts, you said you were 140lb and 5'5". That height and weight puts your BMI at about 23.3, which is in the "normal" range of the scale (the 120 number puts you at a BMI of 20, which is one the lower end of "normal"). This suggests that you probably don't have much weight to lose, per se, and you're probably going to be better off changing your focus.

Why are you trying so much to lose weight? Let me guess, you want a bikini body, right? You want to get rid of the "flab" you have or think you have around your belly? You don't want to be "skinny fat"?

Starving yourself down to an arbitrary weight is the wrong way to achieve any of these goals.

That's right. It's not possible to get the body that just about every woman dreams of having through diet (and dieting) alone, and starving yourself to that point is even worse and counter to being healthy.

You want the bikini body? You want a flat belly and maybe some hint of abs? You want to look good naked?

Then stop worrying so much about the number on the scale, start eating real food to heal your body, and start a strength training routine.

Don't believe me? Then meet Staci -- http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Read that. Then read it again to make sure it sinks in. Then go find and read the followup for good measure.

Why does that work? Because when you starve yourself down to a given weight, you are also losing muscle. Muscle is more metabolically active than fat, so when you lose muscle, your metabolism takes a bigger hit. This makes it harder to maintain a weight and harder to lose weight after you gain any back.

You fix that by maintaining and building muscle. You maintain and build muscle by maintaining a progressive strength training routine.

No, you will not turn into she-hulk.

No, you will not look like a man.

You will, if done right, turn into a lean, compact, powerhouse with the kind of body most women only dream about (because they don't know how to actually achieve it, or they are aware, but still have it in their heads that they will turn into she-hulk to actually do it). (And no, that won't happen even if "done wrong." If done wrong, you just won't get nearly the results you could get if you were doing it right.)
    Have I told you lately that you're fabulous?

FABULOUS!

What she said.
    So awesome it should be illegal.

:blushing: Aww, thanks! It's always good to hear that people appreciate my walls-o-text.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

If weight gain is an issue (again, weighing every day and even every week is probably NOT going to be helpful) the carbs (SUGAR) matter. Larabars (a processed General Mills product - homemade options are delicious and depending on ingredients can have very little carbs/sugar), rice, large amounts of fruit etc may be things that you need to limit, IF excess fat is an issue and if you are not a very active person.

Sugar sugar sugar!
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    The juice that I made are 80% vegetables and 20% fruits. Paleo won't be a fail and so far it hasn't been, I'm healthy and I don't have any symptoms and it had been 5 months I'm off medication so this will definitely my lifestyle, this IS my lifestyle. I'm not that hungry, in the morning if I eat my breakfast around 10 I can wait for lunch until 3-4pm. I used to judge diets by the scale but not anymore and I actually did not do that much diets by the way. So you don't count vegetables as carbs right? Because I don't so plantains are my only source of carbs that I get during the day. I'm going to work on tossing the scale and focusing on my body and my workouts. I bought a new guide to help me because I usually go for runs and I don't know what else to do so this will guide me. Thanks for your advices like I said earlier I posted this on another group and people did not get me AT ALL they were saying that It was nonsense to think that counting calories was unnecessary and then people barely read my post and jumped to the conclusion that I wanted to lose 10 lbs a month and that I was going to fail because it is hard to do so... I'm glad we have this group

Just want to pipe in and say that it was implied in a post that running is bad for you....RUNNING IS NOT BAD FOR YOU. If you enjoy running do NOT STOP RUNNING. It is heart healthy exercise. Consider finding a strength training program you enjoy as well, but please do not let anyone convince you that running is bad for you or will stop you from losing weight.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Just want to pipe in and say that it was implied in a post that running is bad for you....RUNNING IS NOT BAD FOR YOU. If you enjoy running do NOT STOP RUNNING. It is heart healthy exercise. Consider finding a strength training program you enjoy as well, but please do not let anyone convince you that running is bad for you or will stop you from losing weight.

Both of your assertions aren't entirely true.

1. I didn't imply that running in general was bad. I said that running/training for marathons for the sake of health is counterproductive. What I said was not wrong, but is the definition of "chronic cardio." Mark Sisson, who is not only a former marathon runner, but also trained triathletes, has many, many articles about the problems with such training regimens. Here's just one of them -- http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-evidence-continues-to-mount-against-chronic-cardio

2. Running isn't unconditionally "heart-healthy." There's a point of diminishing returns on it. That point where the returns start diminishing is where we get into "chronic cardio." Additionally, you don't need to run (let alone run large numbers of miles) to get the cardiovascular benefits -- http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/PhysicalActivity/Walking/Walk-Dont-Run-Your-Way-to-a-Healthy-Heart_UCM_452926_Article.jsp

Here's what I actually said:
    Get enough of the right exercise -- Mark Sisson (Primal Blueprint) puts it well, I think: "move frequently at a slow pace, sprint and lift heavy things once in a while." In other words, maintain a good fitness foundation through walking a lot, and when you have the extra energy, do a short, high-intensity workout. Don't try to run marathons in an effort to be healthy and lose weight, because long endurance cardio routines are actually counterproductive.

Long, endurance cardio routines. Those are what are counterproductive.

As I said, for purposes of health, walking or short runs are equally effective. What's even better? Sprinting -- http://www.realjock.com/article/1142

If I was supposedly implying that running was bad, why would I have mentioned sprinting? Not all running workouts are 10 miles a day, every day, but it's those long endurance runs that are, in fact, counterproductive to heart health.

So, again, if you want to train for and run a marathon for the sake of running a marathon or because you find it fun, by all means, go for it. Just don't do something like that because you think it's healthy.
  • debou5
    Options
    I actually read than running for more than 30 is not that good because it gives stress response to your body. I also used to run for a year for about 30+ everyday and I actually did not notice any changes on my body so I changed my workout routine and now I'm following a guide which includes strength training, and power walk.
    If I reintroduce rice it is because I enjoy eating sushi and I wanted to test it to see if I'm intolerant it is not something I'll be eating every day nor every week. So eating a cup of pineapple with milk once a week makes me gain weight just like that?.... It is so frustrating -_- . My doctor is in France so I actually went ahead and went to get a blood test without seeing any doctors because besides weight gain I have other symptoms that could be explained by a thyroid disorder. I'm going to wait to go back to France and ask my doctor what I need to get further tests.
    I'm not eating large amount of fruits. Apparently in the larabar there is 1/4 cup of fruits and this week I had 1 cup of pineapple and 1 apple.
    About the coconut milk, I'm usually buying the one in can which only contains coconut milk.
    I basically did the whole 30 kind of I eliminate everything they say to eliminate and I'm on the reintroduction phase so I'm only reintroducing food I know I'll eat once in a while. I'm done reintroducing dairy so I'm going to limit my consumption until I finished every dairy products in my fridge then I'll avoid them. I limit my consumption of nuts because I overeat them and I limit my consumption of fruit, I need to limit my consumption of larabar :(.
    I was wondering if I am not eating too much fats, in my salad I put 10-15 olives, 1/4-1/2 avocado and some olive oil. Then after dinner I eat shredded coconut and in the morning I usually drink coconut milk with cocoa powder depending on what I had for breakfast. Is it too much or it does not really matter? I know that in the Whole30 book they said you got to choose 1 source of healthy fats but in my salad I get almost 3..

Thanks for your answer
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

First, why do you need the rice? Nutrient-speaking, rice is little more than pure starch with a few vitamins and minerals (the amounts pale in comparison to vegetables).

Second, what tests has your doctor run? If you and s/he are concerned about your thyroid, TSH isn't the only test that needs run. In fact, it's probably the worst one, especially for how they measure it. Seriously, TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is to thyroid what insulin is to insulin sensitivity -- higher isn't necessarily better (because higher amounts means it takes more to get the intended effect). Make sure you're getting your free T3, free T3, and reverse T3 measured.

Additionally, make sure to get your fasting insulin checked. A large percentage of women have endocrine issues that raise insulin, and they're rarely diagnosed. This is different from the glucose test, and it's possible to have normal glucose and elevated insulin (again, because it takes more insulin to get to that level of blood sugar). Anything over 20mIU/L is considered pre-diabetic, but even if yours is in the teens, especially high teens, it might be too high for your body. Under 10 is ideal. If your insulin is elevated, then you're going to need to rethink your foods.

A cup of pineapple is 23g of carbs, with 16 of that being sugar. The milk, assuming it's cow's milk, is another 13g, all of which being sugar. That's 29g of sugar in that smoothie. Coconut milk isn't much better if you're getting the carton of "non-dairy beverage."

Are you exercising? Especially if you just started a new routine or increased the intensity, you're going to gain a few pounds. This is because your body is holding on to water for repair. It will come off in a few weeks, after your body gets used to the new routine.

You might want to try a Whole 30. Put the scale away for a month and focus on strict Paleo/Whole 30 approved foods for a month, without the Larabars, rice, milk, etc. If nothing else, to help you retrain your brain and stop focusing on the scale so damn much.

I'd also add in for thyroid and insulin tests:

(1) Both thyroid antibodies (TPO and Tg) -- having them is an indication of Hashimoto's, which is the most common thyroid disorder and you can still have normal TSH levels (or TSH levels that are all over the map because you're swinging between normal, hypo and hyper if the disease isn't advanced yet and you have considerable thyroid function still left). I think the reverse T3 is less helpful since reverse T3 problems are far less common and is usually only done after the others are done if the problem isn't evident. Unfortunately, a lot of non-specialist docs rely solely on the TSH test and it can miss a lot of people with thyroid problems. Do you have other hypo symptoms other than weight issues -- like cold, especially in the hands/feet, dry skin/hair, brittle nails, fatigue, constipation, etc.?

(2) A1C -- shows sugar levels over the past 2-3 months. It's a common (if not the most recommended) test for insulin resistance since it gives a view over the past few months rather than just at the moment. If you have IR, the carb issue will be even more important for you.
  • debou5
    Options
    I only got tested for TSH, T4, free T4 and T3 uptake. I guess my doctor will know which test I need to take according to my symptoms.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I actually read than running for more than 30 is not that good because it gives stress response to your body. I also used to run for a year for about 30+ everyday and I actually did not notice any changes on my body so I changed my workout routine and now I'm following a guide which includes strength training, and power walk.
    If I reintroduce rice it is because I enjoy eating sushi and I wanted to test it to see if I'm intolerant it is not something I'll be eating every day nor every week. So eating a cup of pineapple with milk once a week makes me gain weight just like that?.... It is so frustrating -_- . My doctor is in France so I actually went ahead and went to get a blood test without seeing any doctors because besides weight gain I have other symptoms that could be explained by a thyroid disorder. I'm going to wait to go back to France and ask my doctor what I need to get further tests.
    I'm not eating large amount of fruits. Apparently in the larabar there is 1/4 cup of fruits and this week I had 1 cup of pineapple and 1 apple.
    About the coconut milk, I'm usually buying the one in can which only contains coconut milk.
    I basically did the whole 30 kind of I eliminate everything they say to eliminate and I'm on the reintroduction phase so I'm only reintroducing food I know I'll eat once in a while. I'm done reintroducing dairy so I'm going to limit my consumption until I finished every dairy products in my fridge then I'll avoid them. I limit my consumption of nuts because I overeat them and I limit my consumption of fruit, I need to limit my consumption of larabar :(.
    I was wondering if I am not eating too much fats, in my salad I put 10-15 olives, 1/4-1/2 avocado and some olive oil. Then after dinner I eat shredded coconut and in the morning I usually drink coconut milk with cocoa powder depending on what I had for breakfast. Is it too much or it does not really matter? I know that in the Whole30 book they said you got to choose 1 source of healthy fats but in my salad I get almost 3..

Thanks for your answer

I think you're fine with the fats. Good fats are usually always good, unless you're simply overconsuming. Is it possible that you're just eating way too many calories? Most people that go LCHF or Paleo tend to self-regulate -- meaning that the food is so satiating that they tend to eat at a calorie deficit naturally without specifically counting/monitoring calories. But, it is possible to simply overconsume (nuts are a common culprit). Do you have any idea how many total calories you're eating on these foods?