Help! Kefir Water/Kefir Coconut Milk...

Options
msnucerity
msnucerity Posts: 333 Member
Hi Everyone,

After scouring through the internet/blogs/andwhatnot, it seems that kefir water/milk has benefits, but isn't really paleo, but some people still encourage it because of it's probiotic benefits, and others say, "Ne" as it isn't paleo being made from grains and all.

So I want to hear from you! Do you make and/or drink kefir? Or are there other sources you prefer for as an alternative to keep up healthy gut flora? (I'm finding that since taking a couple of weeks "off" from paleo eating after our wedding, I'm fighting colds left, right and centre and my allergies are acting up even though flowers are done blooming and harvest hasn't started so I wanted to start with working on my gut along with proper eating)

Thanks everyone; hopefully it's a warm day wherever you are! (It's raining, cold and fall seems to be starting early; sweater weather is upon us!)

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I make coconut milk yogurt or kefir for my child once in awhile. She likes dairy better but I can sneak them into her smoothies anyway. I have a few slurps of it here and there, but it's not totally my thing.

I think fermented veggies are even better but one of the challenges I face where I live is that I have to buy cultures since I have no access to whey. Yeah, we have commercial yogurt but I have discovered that most of them are dead and I just don't want to use them anyway.

I live in the Arctic and this year we've had NO summer. In fact, today is the nicest I've seen so I will take child and critters out for a walk. :flowerforyou:
  • Churchland
    Churchland Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My wife and I have been drinking kefir for about a year now. We buy the plain version at Trader Joe's.
    We mixed the cane sugar sweetened pomegranate flavor with the plain until we got used to the liquid yogurt-like taste.

If you ever get an upset stomach a half glass of kefir works better and is much healthier than Pepto-Bismol.

I would highly recommend trying it.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Kefir is not made from grains,they call them grains because of how they look but there is absolutely no grains in them.
    Here is a quote about water kefir
    Water kefir grains are the traditional starter culture used to make water kefir. Water kefir grains do not contain any "grain" such as wheat, rye, etc., but rather are called grains due to their grain-like appearance. Water kefir grains generally contain over 450 strains of beneficial yeast and bacteria! With proper care, they can typically be recultured indefinitely making a new batch of water kefir every 24 to 48 hours.

Anyone saying they are not paleo are confused.This is a naturally fermented product that acts as a probiotic and is extremely good for you and your digestion.

I would recommend trying it and seeing all the health benefits

Here is an excellent site on all things fermented,it's my go to for all the questions and they give you several free e books on fermentation http://www.culturesforhealth.com/water-kefir-how-to-video
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response Justaspoonful, I was so confused as to why kefir wasn't paleo. I missed the "grains" part in the original post...lol

Some say milk kefir isn't paleo because it is dairy, but water kefir is so very much paleo! Drink up :D
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response Justaspoonful, I was so confused as to why kefir wasn't paleo. I missed the "grains" part in the original post...lol

Some say milk kefir isn't paleo because it is dairy, but water kefir is so very much paleo! Drink up :D

:)
  • msnucerity
    msnucerity Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Holy dyna thanks everyone! This definitely clears the air for me :)

Now to find a place that has kefir "grains" so I can make my own coconut kefir

Thanks everyone!
  • iwillrun2
    iwillrun2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Here is the link to the article which convinced me it's ok to have kefir.

http://chriskresser.com/kefir-the-not-quite-paleo-superfood.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Hi -- I make kefir from these grains: http://www.iherb.com/yogourmet-freeze-dried-kefir-starter-1-oz/12071
    The company is in Quebec. I use full fat cow's milk (3.8% fat) and add in more heavy cream (47%) because I eat more LCHF than strictly paleo, and the first batch from the grains added in directly turned out very smooth and drinkable. I set aside about half a cup in a jar to use as a starter for the next week's batch, and thereafter the kefir has been kinda lumpy but still tastes the same, kind of a sour yogurty taste. I use it for breakfast smoothies with veggies and blueberries and protein powder mostly.
    I also recommend fermented nuka veggies if you can find the starter kit... A great way to get probiotics. :smile:

Cheryl