Are weekends or weekdays easier for you to stay on track?

Options
annalisbeth74
annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
I find weekends way easier to stay on track because I can take more time to prepare my meals and eat them fresh. During the week, since I prepare everything ahead of time and take it to work, I often find that in the middle of a stress-filled day I don't feel like eating microwaved food and I end up grabbing something (unhealthy) in the hospital cafeteria.

What about you all? Do you find weekends or weekdays easier to stay on plan? Maybe you can teach me a tip or two!

Replies

• Ryan_Case
    Ryan_Case Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm 12 hour nights, and I tend to work 8 of 9 in a row. As I get out into the last few shifts, I find that I come home from work and tired eat poor choices more often right before going to bed.

Our cafeteria is only open from 0030-0300 Sunday-Thursday. I go down most nights and come back empty handed and eat what I have brought. Sometimes I get a bowl of soup.

I try really hard to think of my food intake or calorie count for the day like the money in my wallet. Yes, I have enough to buy that and get by, but do I really want to be that tight until next payday? I track from midnight to midnight each day and think of it like this. Yes, I could eat that, or that and make it fit in my macros for the day, but I am going to have to cut way back on dinner and am going to be hungry from 2000-2359 at the busiest part of my shift tomorrow.

Our telemetery monitor technician also brings a lunch bag of assorted candy each night of each weekend (when the cafeteria is closed) and leaves it out for everyone to get into. That used to be really hard to stay away from in the wee tired hours. It is only a big temptation on night 7, 8, and 9 now.

I guess that's a really long way of saying both?
  • gitnfit2
    gitnfit2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    For me the week days are easier to stay on track. Most weekends friends or family are wanting to get together and cook out.
  • Jeffy67
    Jeffy67 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Week days are way easier to stay on track LOL
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Weekdays are easier since I have a more structured work environment. Weekends are by downfall.
  • judy20in2011
    judy20in2011 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Food wise weekdays are much easier for me to stay on track. I can only eat what I bring, I can't be running out to the store to grab snacks. Exercise is much harder though. I have a desk job, sitting most of the day. I get up and walk when I can, try to walk on "lunch" breaks etc..
  • duichaser
    duichaser Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    For eating, weekdays are harder because I often have to eat on the run. For working out, weekdays are easier because I can stop by the gym or go for a good run before heading home from work. Family stuff tends to take up all my time once I make it to the house.
  • mtdang
    mtdang Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Weekends are harder because I snack with my child too much when I am home with her. Weekdays at work are more structured. If only one of my staff didn't keep a big back of bite sized chocolates at her desk, I'd be set. Also lucky because there is a produce market in my office building, so if my lunch isn't good or isn't quite enough, I always have salad/fruit options.
  • hopingtoloseweightthistime
    Options
    I find weekends more difficult and the summer holidays are just like one VERY long weekend. I will be home with my kids for the next 2 weeks and I know that it won't be easy. I am going to try and use the extra time to do more exercise and spend more time preparing healthy meals.
  • wgaue
    wgaue Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I find weekends and Holidays harder to stay on track. Everybody is home, more "grazing" is done. The weekdays are more structured for me. Husband is at work, son at school. I know I've got a certain time that things have to be done before son and husband gets home. I'm more in control, food wise, during the week.
  • kaihunter45
    kaihunter45 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I am very much better about my eating habits and tracking during the week. My weekdays are more regimented so once I start doing the right things, I stick with them. My weekends are much more difficult because my husband works evenings on weekends. Once he leaves at around 1:30 pm I get lonely and am an emotional eater. I don't drink enough water on the weekends and since my husband doesn't get up in the morning and go to the gym the morning after he works an evening shift, I usually don't either. I definitely eat more on days I don't exercise.

Some tips: Start bringing fresh salads to work with you for lunch. That way you aren't microwaving a frozen meal. Yesterday I had a curried chicken and fruit salad. It was awesome! Make one day a week (every other week or one day a month) your special day where you treat yourself to a special lunch. I know I am better at sticking to what I pack if I allow myself one day every now and then to order out with my coworkers. Last tip, mix up what you pack. We tend to buy in bulk to save money and I noticed that I was more likely to order out and not eat my packed lunch if I was on day 12 of frozen meals. Now I rotate, frozen meals with soups, salads and the occasiounal PB&J just because.

I hope this helps! :happy:
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I've got M-F locked down. I eat really well and get plenty of exercise. Friday-Sunday have historically been the problem. I'm trying to let my weekday habits "bleed over" to my weekends. I've stopped thinking of Fridays as the start of the weekend. No going out for lunch at work, no going out for dinner after work and no drinking. I'm working on Saturday and Sunday now...

I'm also trying to add an additional 3500ish calorie deficit during the week so I can spend that on Saturday night on whatever I want. I used to track calories for the day, but now I track them for the whole week (since I weigh in once a week). I still keep my diary daily, I just don't view that day in a vacuum.

Most importantly, I'm trying to log ~everything~. It really hurts to see that the burger on my plate has nearly 800 calories and I also have fries, some appetizer and a beer to finish too.. Having those numbers in the system is important
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I always blow it big time on the weekends!
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    In fact I just came off of a 9 day weekend in Jamaica and blew it big time (8 pounds)!!!
    I think I will be more careful this weekend!
  • SherryIsRunner5
    SherryIsRunner5 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Week days are easier for me, not so many unhealthy choices available where I work.
  • dee_capitator
    Options
    Weekdays are way easier for me because everything is planned out properly and I am constantly at a computer so it's easy for me to track what I eat. On the weekends, I tend to drop the laptop and the smartphone and go have fun and my tracking takes a dive.
  • crodriq1
    Options
    Weekends are way easier for me. No stress from work to cause me to emotionally eat or skip the gym and go home and veg out! Plus the best classes, instructors and classmates are found at California Family Fitness on the weekends. Good times!
  • kavlenor
    kavlenor Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I agree with you Crodriq1, weekends are easier for me to stay on track, specially with the exercise. I have an office job so I tend to move a lot more during the weekends.
  • LisaRN9
    LisaRN9 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I find weekdays easier. I have more temptations on the weekends. My husband is home and he is the King Saboteur. He thinks Saturday is synonymous with Pizza and subs. grr I finally had to ask him for a 12 week moratorium on pizza night.
  • Joniboloney
    Joniboloney Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I find weekdays are much easier to stay on track. I more regimented and focused. Weekends we seem to have family and friends gatherings are always popping up and there is so much tempting food.
  • Female_On_Fire
    Female_On_Fire Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My weekdays are very easy for me. Weekends are tough!!! I have not been very successful so far. We are involved in a lot of activities that keep us too busy! I need to come up with a plan!