Intro

Options
Hi all, I am 50 and post-menopausal. I am back and would like to lose weight. Last year I put on weight rather quickly - it seemed the gain was not in proportion to my eating. ( I could be in denial ;-)) I ate "healthy", walked, hiked and yoga'd all summer and lost nothing! I felt better for the good food and exercise, so there is that. I know way too much about nutrition and diet - and that hasn't helped! In fact, at times I have felt more confused about what I should do/eat.

Today I took my measurements, weighed myself, and am working on a "keep it simple sweetheart" plan. Starting with what is working: I love yoga, walking, hiking, and my elliptical for exercise. I am lucky to live in a beautiful place with no shortage of gorgeous and challenging hikes. Those are exercises I know I can stick with. When I can get my belly out of the way, the yoga I practice incorporates lots of weight bearing and strengthening postures.

I take vitamins and supplements that I feel are right for me. I went and did blood work - a complete panel - I am concerned about my thyroid and inflammation (lovely genetics I have). I will get those results in a few weeks at my appointment.

So that leaves me with choosing a way of eating that is live-able and conducive to weight loss, planning for and controlling environmental factors (read: snacking husband and daughter who continue to enjoy foods that are my triggers - so the stuff is in the house), and building a support group.

As for the diet I am thinking whole foods, with a focus on lots of veggies, lean protein, and some fruit. I am up in the air about grains. I have an gluten and oat sensitivity and generally feel better when I avoid those. Sprouted grains seem easier on my system.

I would love to connect with others and hear what has or hasn't worked, and share support and feedback.

Lynn
(I joined a few groups today and have posted this a few times.)

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome!
  • lynnvarian
    lynnvarian Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Sabine,
    Thank-you for the welcome!
  • Malteaster
    Malteaster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am in a similar situation as you (but probably less active). I have struggled to lose weight for the last few years. I have tried everything. I know all the theory but I can't make it work for me.

I love your KISS solution. I have decided to go back to basics and cut out snacks, and eat more whole foods and less processed foods.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Your plan sounds much like mine! Just remember to keep at it no matter what, as it will work in the long term :) Don't give up! You will feel better.
  • lynnvarian
    lynnvarian Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Keeping at the plan is the hardest part of all.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Keeping at the plan is the hardest part of all.
    It's always a challenge, especially when you live with others.
    One thing I do: The boys like the refined carbs and they buy lots. I can't change that. I make sure my breakfast (easy) and my lunch (at work) are completely according to my plan. So at least half my day is easier for me to manage. Most of my indulgences are in the evening with my family.